100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Draw biased drivers/woods

Would any serious golfer use a 1,3,5 wood with a draw bias? I have 3 Callaway woods: FT-9 Draw, FT 3 wood draw, and a FT 5 wood neutral. I went to superdome today to see the difference between the 3wood draw and the 5 wood neutral which i recently purchased. The thing i like about the 3w draw is that i am not afraid to swing full power and worry about slicing the ball right (i am right handed). i hit some good shots with the neutral but every now and then i'd slice it.

Should i get rid of the draw heads asap and buy neutral ones, take lessons to eliminate the slice/push/fade? Or keep the draw heads since i get positive results out of them? I'm young so i dont want to develop any bad habits with the draw heads; for example I realized today that i have to use a different set up/alignment when hitting a draw wood, feet more to the right of my target.

What to do, what to do. . . .
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    If you are still fading the ball with a neutral 5w, there is your answer. You have an increase in loft with the 5w thus decreasing your sidespin and you still manage to put a fade on it. You are more than likely coming across the ball wit han open face.That is the function of a closed face club. If you come across thhe ball with a neutral face, you are open at impact and to the right it goes. A closed face club, depending on the closed angle, will be closer to or square at impact. Another point is the loft at impact. When a closed face club is squared up at impact, the loft is what it is when measured in the neutral position, not at address.

Fix your coming over the top or go with the closed face woods.

i know my swing is wrong somewhere and i have to fix that occasional slice. my question is "Is it bad to play with a draw club?" Could i lead to bad habits?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i know my swing is wrong somewhere and i have to fix that occasional slice. my question is "Is it bad to play with a draw club?" Could i lead to bad habits?
    I was facing the same thing this season when looking at new clubs. I went w/ fixing my swing issues instead of getting clubs to band-aid my problems. I am also young and have many years of golf to play and get frustrated with.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    The pros play with open face clubs. Bruce Lietzke was a perpetual fader of the ball and was very sucsessful on the tour "Golf is not a game of perfect " ( Dr. Bob Rotella ). I have had the same problem as you for years and still do. I am 51 yrs. old and been playing golf for 30 years and use closed face woods. If I could chip and putt, I would be a single digit. For me, it's a no brainer. Life is to short to worry about an occasional slice. Go out and enjoy yourself. Your swing is what it is unless you want to change your lifestyle for the sake of an odd slice.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll go for lessons in the spring and see what the teacher recommends for me after watching my swing.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Once you take lessons and become better, you will probably find it difficult to release the club without worry of it going left. At that point it will become clear you probably need a more neutral setup.

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    Once you take lessons and become better, you will probably find it difficult to release the club without worry of it going left. At that point it will become clear you probably need a more neutral setup.
    that's a crazy driver you're using bNeil ! any problems with sidespin?

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Not really, with that combo I hardy get any spin (2200 rpm) with about 11 degrees launch; so its actually really straight for me.

6 Iron triplets is on a distinguished road
    Would any serious golfer use a 1,3,5 wood with a draw bias? I have 3 Callaway woods: FT-9 Draw, FT 3 wood draw, and a FT 5 wood neutral. I went to superdome today to see the difference between the 3wood draw and the 5 wood neutral which i recently purchased. The thing i like about the 3w draw is that i am not afraid to swing full power and worry about slicing the ball right (i am right handed). i hit some good shots with the neutral but every now and then i'd slice it.

Should i get rid of the draw heads asap and buy neutral ones, take lessons to eliminate the slice/push/fade? Or keep the draw heads since i get positive results out of them? I'm young so i dont want to develop any bad habits with the draw heads; for example I realized today that i have to use a different set up/alignment when hitting a draw wood, feet more to the right of my target.

What to do, what to do. . . .
    Take the lessons and hopefully this will cure the slice, it did mine. I also used the inside approach and went from slicing the ball to now drawing the ball. A great training aid!!

Driver Brent4Hire is on a distinguished road
    I think I was kinda lucky in that I never really had a slice to content with - just a savage hook. That also means I have and have always had a pretty serious aversion to clubs that have too closed faces on them and draw weighting.

You'll hear people talk about band-aids a lot, but the fact is, it is a bloody tough game...very subtle imperfectionc at contact equal drastic differences at distance. Your irons probably have offset - the vast majority do - do you consider this a band-aid? You have to ask yourself where you want to go with this - do you want to enjoy your rounds, or develop a perfect swing so you can boast to playing true blades and a 250cc driver?
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, ya might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent4Hire View Post
    do you want to enjoy your rounds, or develop a perfect swing so you can boast to playing true blades and a 250cc driver?
    (b) i'll take the red pill Morpheus.

4 Iron MixBag is on a distinguished road MixBag's Avatar
    I went with a neutral bias when I had the option. For me I felt it would lead to a lazy swing habit.

Thread Information