100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golf lessons.

4 Iron wantobegolfer is on a distinguished road wantobegolfer's Avatar

Question Golf lessons.

Hi everyone. I see on Kevin Haimes web site that he is offering a 2day golf clinic/lessons and would be interrested in taking that up. Im a mid hadicaper (18-20). As anyone taken lessons with Kevin's school beit this format or individual lessons? Is it worth spending the money? Whats your take on this? You can also email : wantobegolfer@hotmail.com
    Thanks for your help.

Wantobegolfer.
    Last edited by wantobegolfer; 04-25-2004 at 10:43 PM.

Putter muskie is on a distinguished road

Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by wantobegolfer
    Hi everyone. I see on Kevin Haimes web site that he is offering a 2day golf clinic/lessons and would be interrested in taking that up. Im a mid hadicaper (18-20). As anyone taken lessons with Kevin's school beit this format or individual lessons? Is it worth spending the money? Whats your take on this?

Thanks for your help.

Wantobegolfer.
    There are all kinds of Teachers & all kinds of swing methods to be had out there . But if you are interested in learning HOW TO PLAY the GAME instead of PLAY SWING . Go see the Pro at Island Greens Driving Range , Al Harvey he get,s results and is reasonable in his rates . I believe there are one or two in this group taking lessons from him now . Good Luck . Muskie

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I have taken a clinic from Kevin. He teaches a very mechanical style. If you can tolerate his attitude and don't mind a really mechanical approach, you will learn something from him. If you don't have thick skin, you may be offended early in the clinic.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Kevin Haime

I agree that Kevin Haime's got an attitude, and it's not what you want in golf lessons.......chip

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Island greens lessons

Quote Originally Posted by muskie
    There are all kinds of Teachers & all kinds of swing methods to be had out there . But if you are interested in learning HOW TO PLAY the GAME instead of PLAY SWING . Go see the Pro at Island Greens Driving Range , Al Harvey he get,s results and is reasonable in his rates . I believe there are one or two in this group taking lessons from him now . Good Luck . Muskie
    Where is Island greens? Maybe I would be interest in taking some lessons with Al Harvey.Thanks!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by chipandput
    Where is Island greens? Maybe I would be interest in taking some lessons with Al Harvey.Thanks!
    Also try Bob Farant at The Marshes. Sounds like the same style as Al Harvey, feel golf.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road

Hold On....

Now please hold on. Kevin Haime centre is about more than one individual. He's not the ONLY teacher there. There are others and I've had my ups and downs there. My first contact with their teaching staff was with a younger guy Greg (forgot his last name). Excellent approach and very friendly. He taught me the basics and I appreciated every lesson. Then I needed one tweak one day and a second teacher messed around with my grip so bad that I couldn't play for the longest time. I forgot the name of the guy for a reason... very bad.

It took me another few sessions this winter to get it all back and, as interesting as it sounds, to get back to the grip I had used before.

All that to say that everyone has a different style and don't diss out an entire place because of one guy.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road

Kevin Haime Golf Center

Although I have not personally taken a lesson from Kevin, I have routinely received lessons from Gregg Foley. Gregg, and all of the Pros are all incredible instructors.

I am a three year member at the Facility, and from my experiences, you couldn't find a better practice center anywhere in the city.

Kevin is a phenomenal teacher and person. The arrogance and abrasiveness must have been reciprocal, if that is actually the case.

Sure, many of the teachers take a mechanical approach to the full swing. What most people don't understand, is that you cannot learn the golf swing in one lesson. The ideas that are presented need to be practiced and grooved before a difference will be noticed.

I believe that the 'feel' approach is really only effective when teaching the short game.

Andru
    nice_lag
    I agree Gregg's pretty good if you're after a more mechanical approach. He knows his stuff.

Adska

The Marshes would rival Kevins Hamies practice facility. Any day of the week.

Feel golf IS a great option for those who are not interested in swing plane and mechanics. There's more than one way to learn golf. Don't mistake feel golf with going out there and whacking away. The feel comes from learning how to use the clubhead vs. body and swing positions. AKA Jim Flick vs. David Leadbetter. Both excellent teachers. Different methods.

Putter muskie is on a distinguished road

Island Greens Driving Range

Quote Originally Posted by chipandput
    Island Greens Driving Range is Located at KartersKorner Family Center 6336 Fallowfield Road ( West of Barrhaven ) . Al Harvey runs his Golf Learning Center there in Conjuction with Island Greens as well as doing the Teaching for the Par-3 Thunderbird course off Carp Rd. Hope this helps . Muskie

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Adska
    Although I have not personally taken a lesson from Kevin, I have routinely received lessons from Gregg Foley. Gregg, and all of the Pros are all incredible instructors.

I am a three year member at the Facility, and from my experiences, you couldn't find a better practice center anywhere in the city.

Kevin is a phenomenal teacher and person. The arrogance and abrasiveness must have been reciprocal, if that is actually the case.

Sure, many of the teachers take a mechanical approach to the full swing. What most people don't understand, is that you cannot learn the golf swing in one lesson. The ideas that are presented need to be practiced and grooved before a difference will be noticed.

I believe that the 'feel' approach is really only effective when teaching the short game.
    I was a member of Kevin's facility for 8 seasons. I agree it is an excellent facility. I have taken lessons from other staff there as well. In fact I first took a lesson from Dave Kalil there and have subsequently followed him to other facilities for annual tuneups.

My specific reference was to Kevin Haime and his style, not to the facility or other teachers. I can assure you the "The arrogance and abrasiveness" was not reciprocal, it was transmitted by Kevin to a group of a dozen or so people at a short game clinic. Lisa Haime on the other hand is quite customer friendly, recognizes returning members by name and engages in discussion. Kevin has never once gone out of his way to recognize me as a member of several years standing even though I was at the range almost daily, took lessons annually, attended a clubmaking and a short game clinic; and purchased a number of clubs as well as shoes and balls from his shop at the old site on Maple Grove Rd before he contracted it out to others.

As for the facility, I would say it is about the equal of Stonebridge and The Marshes in terms of quality.

He has substantial knowledge of the swing and the game, just be prepared to hear how great he is a few times during the lesson.

Sand Wedge lcatley is on a distinguished road
    I have had a lesson from Kevin and I have to say, my experience was less than great.

I had booked a private lesson with Kevin. During most of the lesson he did more layghing at my swing flaws than trying to help me correct them. He went as far as inviting a few people over to share in the laugh.

After he was done laughing, he cut the lesson short so he wouldn't be late for another appointment he had. Told me he would make it up the next time I booked a lesson from him.

I told him not to bother, as I would never take another lesson from him again.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lcatley
    I have had a lesson from Kevin and I have to say, my experience was less than great.

I had booked a private lesson with Kevin. During most of the lesson he did more layghing at my swing flaws than trying to help me correct them. He went as far as inviting a few people over to share in the laugh.

After he was done laughing, he cut the lesson short so he wouldn't be late for another appointment he had. Told me he would make it up the next time I booked a lesson from him.

I told him not to bother, as I would never take another lesson from him again.

This seriously happened? :shake

Sand Wedge lcatley is on a distinguished road
    Yes I am sorry to say it did. I am not a great golfer by any stretch of the imagination but I am trying to improve. Kevin's actions are a sure way to discourage new golfers. I can only hope this was an isolated incident.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    It's obvious from this thread that he lacks customer service skills.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by em69
    It's obvious from this thread that he lacks customer service skills.
    Maybe he's burning out. It's that type of business. Retail/Customer Service. You really have to love what you do to teach swing mechanics.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I won a one-day Golfcamp on his Saturday radio show & used it to try the "Intermediate-Level" full day course last spring.

The 7 of us had Kevin & Greg to ourselves for basically the whole day. Included were 30 minutes of us hitting to get lose & for them to get a feel for our (lack of ) abilities,
    video of each from side & back,
    back inside for group critiques,
    matching on the split-screen of Pro's we could try to emulate (similar size-age-sex),
    hands-on-work on the range, using mirrors etc.,
    lunch break at East-Side Marios (included),
    souvenir hats, pens, copies of all we were shown,
    two hours of short game work using two of their green/bunker areas,
    45 minutes of hands -on putting,
    a cheerful finish with a invite to stay as long as we wanted & hit as much as we cared for.
    Everyone seemed very satisified. I know I was. Learning when/how to chip/pitch saved me at least 150 strokes last season over my 60+ games in 2003.

A little prejudiced cause it was free but very POSITIVE

My 5 cents worth,
    George

4 Iron wantobegolfer is on a distinguished road wantobegolfer's Avatar
    Hi everyone. I see on Kevin Haimes web site that he is offering a 2day golf clinic/lessons and would be interrested in taking that up. Im a mid hadicaper (18-20). As anyone taken lessons with Kevin's school beit this format or individual lessons? Is it worth spending the money? Whats your take on this? You can also email : wantobegolfer@hotmail.com
    Thanks for your help.

Wantobegolfer.
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I suppose what I was originally asking is the format of the 2 day clinic and what it was all about. Most of you seem to be in sync about Kevin Haimes attitude. In conclusion, Kevin Haimes golf school is not wasted money but who you get as a teacher maybe a big dissapointment. I am sure there are good and bad teachers no matter where you go. Glad to see how franc your replies were. Not to many came to Kevins defense so I will conclude that interpersonality his not is strong point. I myself would have a hard time dealing with someone with this attitude.

Again, thank you.

wantobegolfer

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar

Kevin Haime Lessons?

I just have to add my 2 cents.

I attended a short game clinic last year with Kevin.
    If you can get over the ego he is a fine teacher, and the other fellow, (Austrailian I think) was great.

I love the centre, the short game area is great, I have always enjoyed practicing there. His wife and others are very friendly and helpful.

Alanis said it best with her "Ironic" song, "Its a fly in your chardonay".
    Kevin is sort of like the fly, some people will say "I'm not drinking that wine, not with a fly in it." Some would pick the fly out and say "that sure is some nice wine, tastes a bit like fly though". And other would drink the wine, fly and all and say "I kinda liked the fly, it added another dimension to the whole experience.

Would I go back for more lessons, sure, I just won't drink the fly.

Rusty

I just had to say it!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Hmmm.

It seems that a number of golfers have had a variety of experiences dealing with KH, many of them negative. If you don't like what he does, tell him, and then take your business elsewhere.

Kevin's swing method is difficult to learn and would require a lot of lessons and practice. Do you think that this is accidental? If he teaches the method that he uses, with a backswing that is too upright and a right elbow that is too far from the body at the top, then how can less athletically inclined golfers learn to hit the ball effectively?

A better approach would be found in John Dunnigan's "The Secret of the Golf Swing" (www.golfbetterproductions.com) Simple, on the proper plane backswing, easier to return to proper plane on the downswing, less "timing" required for a good shot. Bobby Farrant and a few others teach this method.

Just because a professionals name is all over the airwaves does not mean that they are necessarily good. Some are better at marketing themselves than others. Remember: "Teachers of the Year" are chosen by other teachers, not by their students.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar

if you can see thru it

Despite Kevin being a tad cynical during the two lessons I took with him three years ago I credit him with taking at least 2-4 shots off my handicap at that time just on his short game advice /mindset/techniques/instruction. I paid for and got results not a social time. (He may have become "too big" for Ottawa since.)

Gap Wedge w00dy is on a distinguished road
    Before coming on to OG.com i have never herd of Kevin, but from his actions on his radio show and from what i have herd from everyone here i would never go to his facility or get a lesson by him. Mainly because of his disrespect to other as seen in this thread http://www.ottawagolf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4015

I took lessons last year by Rick Boisvert and his 2 lessons took about 10 strokes off my game and to me made the game alot more fun. I highly recommend him to anyone looking to improve their swing or just need a touch up http://www.ottawagolf.com/rickboisvert/index.htm
    Mike W.
    personal best: 87 @ Falcon Ridge

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

Golf Pro at Innes Golfland

I finally got my first lesson and I can tell you I was more than happy with it. There's a pro over at Innes golfland that gave me lesson. Probably the first thing that I was looking for was affordablility since I'm a student, and he was very affordable. His name is Abdullah, and he used to teach over at capital. I've had a few tips from him before, but I never took the plunge for lessons until now (fighting a nasty push/hook). Anyways, depending on how many lessons you sign up for, it was about 30-35 bucks a lesson, but it lasted for alittle over an hour which is really good considering normally one would pay +40 bucks for a half hour session at alot of places. The session really gave me enough time to get a reallygood idea of what i had to work on, and what a good swing felt like. But the best thing was he didn't just fix my swing, but he really explained to me what I was doing wrong and how it effected what happens so that I could identify it right away if it occurred later. Anyways.. i thought I'd just add this into the convo since other names have been thrown in.

Yun

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by yun
    I've had a few tips from him before, but I never took the plunge for lessons until now (fighting a nasty push/hook).
    Yun
    This is because you broke my lie check board last week are you are being punished.

Andru
    I have to give Cudos to Kevin Haime. I listened to his radio show over the weekend and I think he's coming around to the different golfers in the region.

He made a point of addressing his concerns with teaching and students. He can get you to an elite level for sure. But the student has to want the elite level. He spoke about this and I understood his side of the coaching issue. It was a good show.

It's like he reads our threads. Yeah I'd like to think we have that much influence. Anyway My point. I'm warming up to the guy. I do like his show very much.

The other point I wanted to make is this, good teachers have a way of creating an environment where people want to learn or practice. I recognize some are not going to practice no matter what, but those who are on the border. you can make things interesting for them. Being flexible in your approach to different students can have successful results.

Putter golfnut is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for your help.

Wantobegolfer.
    Hi wantobegolfer,

My experience with Kevin Haime's range has been very positive. I think some of the responses below is a question of personalities. I appreciate direct, no BS feedback - when I'm paying for a golf lesson - I don't want to be babysitted. Kevin's style may not fit everyone - but the facility has other personalities to meet the needs. This is part of the selection process of being a student. If you really want to improve - take the time and EFFORT to find someone right for you. For the posters below to do no research into Kevin or his style and then blame him for a less than positive experience is bush league.

As far as the quality of golf instruction at this place. If Kevin Haime was voted the best teacher in Canada by his peers - how can anyone suggest his methods are suspect? That's the way I made my evaluation for choosing him - he's a respected instructor. One guy below even suggested that an evaluation by peers is not as strong as evaluation by students. The peers are the one the know the industry and it's demands!!

Anyway - this Internet board is like most. There are undertones to certain opinions - and unfortunately you will never know what they are unless you talk to the person and find out their motivations.

some advice - if some people on this board don't like Kevin's approach - tell him - it's the only way he will get better and better serve you!!!!! That's the Canadian way - pay for something, act like you enjoy it at the time and then complain about it!!

I like the guy's golf show - he has an opinion which gets you thinking.

Have a great season and good luck.

Putter golfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    I was a member of Kevin's facility for 8 seasons. I agree it is an excellent facility. I have taken lessons from other staff there as well. In fact I first took a lesson from Dave Kalil there and have subsequently followed him to other facilities for annual tuneups.

My specific reference was to Kevin Haime and his style, not to the facility or other teachers. I can assure you the "The arrogance and abrasiveness" was not reciprocal, it was transmitted by Kevin to a group of a dozen or so people at a short game clinic. From observation, it would seem Kevin inherited both the golf gene and the arrogance gene from his father - they both have the same persona. Lisa Haime on the other hand is quite customer friendly, recognizes returning members by name and engages in discussion. Kevin has never once gone out of his way to recognize me as a member of several years standing even though I was at the range almost daily, took lessons annually, attended a clubmaking and a short game clinic; and purchased a number of clubs as well as shoes and balls from his shop at the old site on Maple Grove Rd before he contracted it out to others.

As for the facility, I would say it is about the equal of Stonebridge and The Marshes in terms of quality.

He has substantial knowledge of the swing and the game, just be prepared to hear how great he is a few times during the lesson.
    My question to you would be - did you go out of your way to engage Kevin and introduce yourself to him? Remember - the guy has 6 months to earn $$, has a staff, other responsiblities of running a business and if you haven't noticed the place is the nicest range I've seen. That must take alot of work!!! He probably doesn't have time to socialize.......aren't YOU there to practice? His wife is a social person and has talked to me many times.

As for the quality of facility - I bring my clubs on trips with me and look for driving range where I go. It is the nicest one I've seen anywhere.

Why don't you talk to Kevin and tell him what you're telling people here....isn't that the way to do things?

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut
    Hi wantobegolfer,
    My experience with Kevin Haime's range has been very positive. I think some of the responses below is a question of personalities. I appreciate direct, no BS feedback - when I'm paying for a golf lesson - I don't want to be babysitted. Kevin's style may not fit everyone - but the facility has other personalities to meet the needs. This is part of the selection process of being a student. If you really want to improve - take the time and EFFORT to find someone right for you. For the posters below to do no research into Kevin or his style and then blame him for a less than positive experience is bush league.
    You know what's bush league. Coming into a discussion and backhanding other people's opinions. Fine there's a personality conflict betwwen KH and some of the people on this forum. That doesn't mean they want to have their hands held or be baby sat.

Anyway - this Internet board is like most. There are undertones to certain opinions - and unfortunately you will never know what they are unless you talk to the person and find out their motivations.
    I'm glad you said this. I'll remember this when I read your post again.

Some asked about Lesons at Kevin haimes. and those who have had lessons responded. Just because it wasn't positive doesn't make them WRONG or UN-Canadian.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut

As for the quality of facility - I bring my clubs on trips with me and look for driving range where I go. It is the nicest one I've seen anywhere.
    Gotta disagree here. The Marshes is just as good if not better. But if you really want to know where the best practice facility is. Deer Creek Golf Academy in Ajax is the BEST practice facility BAR none.

http://www.heligolfguide.com/deercre...s/Academy.html

Sorry I'll get back on topic.

I personally have been treated very well at KH's range he's built a great business and he's a semi-celebrity. He's a good Ottawa citizen, he wears his Senators heart on his sleeve and he's great community guy, but not everyone is going to like him. That's life when you're at an elite level in your profession.
    Last edited by Andru; 05-08-2004 at 11:46 PM.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Andru, with all due respect.... How can you disagree that the Haime facility is the best one golfnut has seen in his travels.

Nice looking place that "Deer Creek".

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Thread Information