100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

Putting your balls in a mircowave

We were playing medows yesterday and on the first tee my friend shanked his drive. He pulls out another ball and hits one right down the middle. I went to grab his first ball out of the water but it was sitting right on the edge so I picked it up for him. WHen I picked it up I could tell the ball was really hot. I wa bit confused, it was in the sun for about 1 minute and coudln't have gotten that hot. I gave him his ball and as soon as he touched it he knew I had obivously felt that the ball was very hot. He said "what did you do to my ball, stick it up your @#$ or something?" I said, I just found it like that, I don't understand it.. wierd. So he puts the ball in his left pocket, we get to the next tee and hits it and then plays a provisional and asks me to pass him a ball out of his bag, I did and it was hot as well.. except this one was a bit slippery. The other one was probably a bit slippery as well but I was so confused by the heat coming from the ball that I didn't even notice it was slippery. I smelt it and it was as if he dipped it in baby oil!!!! I didn't say anything, let him play his game. He had a hole in one on on the 4th hole (already posted about it). He went on the beat me by one stroke.. which I'm ok. But, how much does putting a ball in a mircowave help? How much does rubbing baby oil on your ball really help? If it helped that much i guess he wouldn't have shanked first tee shot on the first two holes

How would YOU deal with this? What would you say? what would you do? Ishould have said something there but didn't wan to ruin the day by starting a fight with a friend and make our 3rd person feel uncomfortable.

Also, we were on the green on one of the holes, I had just put the flag stick back in the hole and started walking towards my cart and WACK, I got hit right in the side of the head with a ball from someone going for the green WHILE I WAS STILL ON IT. I walked over to the flag stick, pulled it out and dropped it on the green.. picked up his ball and put it in my bag and walked off. My friends started swearing at them, gave them the finger but I just walked to the next tee box. I have a really short fuse and it took all my energy not to walk over their with my 9 iron and beat him to death but I think I made the right call...

again, what would you have done?

Does this stuff only happen to me or does it happen to everyone? I go to a golf course to relax and something happens that just makes me want to punch someone in the head

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Hothot. You come up with the funniest strories. You just crack me up. Anyway let's say that your buddy put his golf balls in the microwave to hit them further. You'd figure that by the time he drove to the golf course they would have cooled down unless he's got something in his bag to keep them warm.

"Richard"
    I tried it today and put 3 balls in the microwave for 2 mintues and let them sit in my bag, 90 minutes later they were still warm. Should have added that to my post. One of my friends BG458 reads my posts and just spends the whole time laughing because he says the dumbest things happen to you (he is with me 90% of the time I play) and if I wasn't there I wouldn't have beleived it. But he knows the friend that we play with is a known cheater and we kinda of enjoy seeing what he is going to come up with next.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Holy crap thotho you can't be for real.
    110 - 77 in one season. (priceless)
    Every gadget at golftown used and returned for full credit ($$$$)
    A buddy who cheats more than any golfer known to man. Who is this guy? (LOL)
    A hole in one by same cheat'n heart
    A keen interest in math (BTW feet < yards)
    A twack in the head - I have seen what that can do. Steve's welt was not insignificant. I hope you are OK,

Some season you are having!

thotho I love reading your posts! You are amazing!

"Richard"
    ahaha, its pretty crazy. but my worst round is much higher than 110 this year!!! Also, it was just a simple brain fart with the math, I'm studying actuarial science at U of T, our math is pretty crazy! I didn't return everything, I kept the inside aproach and the swing guide, they were the only thigns that acutally made a difference. Made more of a difference than that $575 range finder I bought (and later returned)

Luckly I was on the green and not in the fairway, the ball was already on its way down and had slowed down a lot. It hurt like hell though. Anyway, my cheater friend is one of my best friends for over 10 years. Its just hilarious to see what he comes up with next to gain a BIT of an edge. I mean who in their right mind would carry a 61" Funny thing is he was putting 10 times better with his 36" voodoo. I'll keep you posted on what he does on monday

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I have a really short fuse and it took all my energy not to walk over their with my 9 iron and beat him to death but I think I made the right call...

again, what would you have done?
    I thought your first impulse was ridiculous. I would have gone over with my baseball bat and beat them to death...

"Richard"
    you carry a baseball bat with you on a golf course?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    I thought your first impulse was ridiculous. I would have gone over with my baseball bat and beat them to death...
    If you did that you woudn't have to buy gas for the rest of your life

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    ThoTho, you should wear a brightly coloured name tag. This is the only way that other golfers could have a chance to get off the course if you are there. With your track record for attracting cheats and crazies, most golfers would opt for securing their personal safety by running from you. Like it or not, you are a lightning rod for disaster.

A word of advice. Don't put any really old balata balls in a microwave. They would probably blow up. The old ones had a rubber ball center which was filled with liquid and around which thin rubber was wound. Put that kind of ball in a microwave and you'd have a lovely explosion. But then again, you'd have another tale to tell.

As for the oily balls, I'd say that this was cheating if the oil was applied to reduce the amount of sidespin when the balls were hit. It's for that reason, for example, that you can't smear Vaseline on the face of a driver.

There's another explanation for the oily balls, though. Maybe your golfing partner used them as ben-wah balls. Now there's a story!!!!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Since I could not find the answer I was looking for on the wonderful world wide web I phone my club's former CPGA to ask him this question.

Is it illegal to take a golf ball and heat it up? Whether it be in a microwave, hot water, hand warmer in your bag etc?

His answer was "Yes it is illegal. You can not alter the state of the golf ball using any method. It would be like taking sandpaper to a golf ball, you can not do that."

So if you are heating your rocks up in the microwave you are violating a rule of golf. Now he could not be specific on the actual Rule, such as the Rule # etc.
    But it is illegal, just like spitting on your driver face, or putting vaseline on the face to reduce the spin (Reduces hooks and slices)

So if you do not want to be branded as a "Cheater" you better leave the balls out of the microwave.

However it is ok to make POPCRON in there
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golfbum. See http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...3769#post53769

What would be the advantage of sanding a golf ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Golfbum. See http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...3769#post53769

What would be the advantage of sanding a golf ball?
    Likely not much, but he was just using that as an example of altering a golf ball. Maybe you can sand it and put a little more "JUNK" on it like a pro baseball pitcher does!

Either way it is illegal to heat em up. Best way to put some heat on a golf ball is with the driver

It is Rule 14-3 that is breached when a ball is artificially warmed. This matter was addressed in the following decision:

14-3/13.5 Golf Ball Artificially Warmed

Q. Is the use of a golf ball which is purposely warmed during a round with a golf ball warmer, hand warmer or any such device a breach of Rule 14-3?
    A. Yes.

And here are the rulings regarding the prohibition against applying a foreign material to the clubface "for the purpose of influencing the movement of the ball."

4-2/3 Applying Chalk to Club Face

Q. During a round, may a player apply chalk to the face of an iron club in order to obtain more backspin?
    A. No.

4-2/4 Applying Saliva to Face of Club

Q. A player spat on the face of his club and did not wipe the saliva off before playing his next stroke. Is this permissible?
    A. If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball, the player was in breach of Rule 4-2b as saliva is ”foreign material.“

"Richard"
    "If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball" How can anyone other than the player determine what his purpose was? Also, if the guy is spitting on his club to cheat it is likely that you won't get an honest answer out of someone like that anyway to determine his intent

Also, if the guy is spitting on his club to cheat it is likely that you won't get an honest answer out of someone like that anyway to determine his intent
    Why do you need an answer from the guy who spits on his clubface? He is breaking a rule of golf, he is called and penalized. Simple as that.

What's he going to say? "Uhhh I spit on it to clean the grooves"

Fine, spit on it to clean the grooves, but wipe it off with a dry towel before you address the ball.

Spitting on clubfaces and heating balls up, it is all the same, breaching the rules of golf.

"Richard"
    I understand what you are saying but when i read "If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball" how do you know he didn't do a half a55 job of cleaning the club for that purpose? know what I mean? I guess in the end I don't really care, I a guy wants to cheat let him cheat. My score is my score and thats all that i'm really worried about

I understand what you are saying but when i read "If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball" how do you know he didn't do a half a55 job of cleaning the club for that purpose? know what I mean? I guess in the end I don't really care, I a guy wants to cheat let him cheat. My score is my score and thats all that i'm really worried about
    You should know if he is cleaning his clubface, he should be wiping it with a wet towel and then drying it with the dry part of the towel.
    You should care if he is cheating if you are playing against him.

"Richard"
    he is just cheating himself, what difference does it make to me. I just like to know what things you can do, what rules you can use to your advantage and the not looking for your ball after a good shot with a provisional is a good one. I usually look for my ball and then take 2 or 3 shots to get it out of the trees

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    you shot 77 from the tips at greensmere, in your first year? that's some round, man.

"Richard"
    yeah man, but I shot a 106 at glenmar yesterday. I have the potential to put up some really good rounds, y short game is really amazing (not to toot my own horn) and if I am good off the tees, like i was that day, then I can go low. Yesterday I lost 3 balls of the tee, put two balls in the water and topped 3 balls outof the fairway but only have 28 putts. That day at greensmere I was doing everything right, played the whole round with one ball, didn't top anything, hit every green and fairway (almost) and when I didn't my short game bailed me out for par. I'm just having consistancy problems right now (as the scores indicate).

Since I started keeping track of my handicap I've shot a 77, 82, 103, 85, 93, 96... in that order

The 106 was adjusted to 95 since my handicap said I can take no more than a double. I had a 5 over, a 5 over a 4 over, and 3 triples. The rest was pars and boogies. I'm all over the place man but yeah, not bad for my first year (calander year.. I started the season really laste last year)

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I smelt it and it was as if he dipped it in baby oil!!!! How much does rubbing baby oil on your ball really help?
    You have got to be kidding!! Baby oil on a warmed up golf ball? Who were you playing with, Richard Gere? Next time check his golf bag for hamsters.

Does this stuff only happen to me or does it happen to everyone?
    Stuff like this just seems to happen to you.

Golf balls in the microwave, baby oil on the balls, spitting on clubs to keep the spin down. What kind of loser are you golfing with? In 24 years of golf I have never heard stories like this. Either you are playing with some losers or you have a vivid imagination and like to post stories for attention.

Maybe you should find a different golf partner.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Golfbum] Either you are playing with some losers or you have a vivid imagination and like to post stories for attention.

[QUOTE]

Nice.

Just enjoy the posts like eveyone else, for the most part they're pretty funny.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Im with Shivas on this one, I dont care if they're made up, or you're golfing with a "loser", whom I prefer to think of as innovative...

Absolutely, this is great stuff! We've all seen snippets of stuff like this on the course. It just seems to all happen to him! Who cares if it's embellished a bit it certainly is entertaining. Mayby were helping him hammer out a new comic strip? The adventures of ThoTho and the evil Dr Oblivious!

"Richard"
    I'm not making any of this stuff up at all. Not even exagerating any of it.. there are so many other things that have happened. Like when he is helping me look for my ball and says he can't find it but I know exactly where it is and he is standing on it to plug my ball... Its not like this happens with every person I play with.. just one. Its so much fun playing with him. Or he loses his ball, and drops one out of his pocket and says.. oh here it is!!! and then I find his ball about 50 yards back and say... isn't this your ball? No its not, mine has this little scratch on it... then I say, wow I didn't realize these top flite balata balls were so popular.

Too much!! I would play with this guy just for a lark.
    I have no reason to doubt your stories, I'm sure there are others who have some weird on-course experiences. Perhaps a new weird stories thread is required?
    I played with a guy (who is not new to the game) who actually gets down on his hands & knees to put his tee in the ground. No bad back or anything, for some reason the guy has to get down on all fours to tee it up.
    Not sure if he uses baby oil on his ball or not.

"Richard"
    what about the guy who lies down on the ground on his chest to line up his putt with the hole?

what about the guy who lies down on the ground on his chest to line up his putt with the hole?
    He is likely taking too much time if he does this more than once in a blue moon.
    Does he make or nearly make every putt he examines in this way?

Thread Information