100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Hot shots and golf balls

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=9341
    I heard on the radio this morning that heating up your golf ball before your round will increase it's distance capabilities. There's even a company that is producing heat bags to carry with you which are not unlike the 'hot shots' that you used to put in your ski gloves.
    Gary, isn't that ilegally altering the playing characteristics of the ball?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Since we're on the topic. Is licking your golf ball legal and does it really make it go farther?
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/gmis9815.htm

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Gary, isn't that ilegally altering the playing characteristics of the ball?
    Yes.

Rule 14-3.
    Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
    a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Since we're on the topic. Is licking your golf ball legal and does it really make it go farther?
    You can lick your ball to get the dirt off, but you can not spit on or lick your ball to make it go further.

How would that make it go further anyway?
    Do you hit 400 yard drives in the rain?

If you saw the MSDS for the toxic chemicals that are put on golf courses, you would NEVER NEVER NEVER lick your golf ball.

Seriously, it is quite dangerous. I never even wipe my golf ball off with my hands because the chemicals can easily be tranferred.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    So I guess putting vaseline on your driver face is out of the question? Apparently this takes spin off the ball, creating straighter drives, thus increasing MY distance if I tried it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    So I guess putting vaseline on your driver face is out of the question? Apparently this takes spin off the ball, creating straighter drives, thus increasing MY distance if I tried it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
    You can't work the ball as much when the fairway is wet. Vaseline works because the friction that causes sidespin is nil. Same deal with the rubber tees that cover the back of the ball. You can still hit it left or right but the ball won't slice or hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Yes.

Rule 14-3.
    Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
    This could only applies to tee offs with the driver anyway. On par 3's you'd have to figure out if it would make it go 10 yards farther. I'd rather rely on club selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    You can't work the ball as much when the fairway is wet. Vaseline works because the friction that causes sidespin is nil. Same deal with the rubber tees that cover the back of the ball. You can still hit it left or right but the ball won't slice or hook.
    Assumption: doing this is illegal?

Dan

Assumption: doing this is illegal?
    Yes. Both are illegal.

Lob Wedge hollywood is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Yes.

Rule 14-3.
    But this says "during a stipulated round", so presumably you can heat up your golf balls all you want before the round starts, you just can't do it during the round. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood
    But this says "during a stipulated round", so presumably you can heat up your golf balls all you want before the round starts, you just can't do it during the round. Correct?
    No. You can't heat them before the round either.

Pitching Wedge DCH is on a distinguished road
    Gary
    Your replies are concise and to the point. However (and there always is one), could you sometimes point out which rule you are using or highlight the word or words that make the point. eg I assume the words 'must not use' are significant in your last answer wheras the questioner was seeing 'during a stipulated round' as the condition.

"Richard"
    I'm reading the rule and I don't see it clearly telling me not to nuke my golf balls before I play. But for how long? Should I defrost them instead?

Anyway, about the vasaline on the club head. Tried it today and it works. My drivers were much longer because they were straight. I guess its harder to put side spin on the ball if is not able to stick to the club face for those few miliseconds

There was a programme on TV the other day where they suggested putting your ball in the ball washer and not drying it before you hit off the tee!

Quote Originally Posted by DCH
    There was a programme on TV the other day where they suggested putting your ball in the ball washer and not drying it before you hit off the tee!
    If it's soapy water, this sounds like it might be something to try... How could this be illegal? Suppose I just don't have a towel?

Dan

"Richard"
    thats a good idea as well!!! I wonder what would happen if you used a ball with no dimples... it would just go straight right? The less dimples the better? Someone told me the oposite though, said more dimples the better.. maybe they were talking in terms of controling the ball

PS i'm so stupid. I just got an email indicated that broken27 have replied and what did I do? I hit reply, typed the above and hit send.. ahahah

If it's soapy water, this sounds like it might be something to try... How could this be illegal? Suppose I just don't have a towel?

Dan
    1) Rule 5-2 says it is.
    2) Use your shirt tail.

"Richard"
    I play for fun, and until I'm good enough to beat my friends, I will cheat. I won't lie about my score, move my ball an inch to get a better spot or angle but little things like that, I don't think that cheating. I'm not a very moral person and have a very warped sense of right and wrong. I'm b-b-b-bad to the bone

so where do I get these tees that block the back of the ball?

How will you know when you are good enough for anything if you depend on an illegal tee to hit the ball straight? It's a great way to groove bad habits.

"Richard"
    yeah I guess you are right but its sooo frustrating to not be able to hit anything under a 3 iron straight. I have to paly the slice, end up in the middle of the fairway but really short and any role I get is rolling to the right from left. I booked a ton of lessons at golftown but the CPGA went on vaction in the middle of golf season (seems stupid to me) so working on the slice will have to wait a few weeks until Im in ottawa agian

Thotho, didn't you just spend a whack of money on a driver? Now you want to put a piece of cheep plastic between it and the ball.

You don't have to try everything you know.

"Richard"
    DAN, that is my problem. I'm not sure if you guys remember but I was the one who sold my Aerospeed shaft xlosion hammer driver on here. First, i can't beleive I bought it and I can't beleive someone boguht it from this board after all the fun you guys made of it... POW!!!

"Richard"
    I'm just frustrated because every sport I've ever played I've been VERY good at it and this is the first sport that I suck at and people who can't beat me at anything else are beating me at golf. I've been told I have a great swing for someone who has been playing for less than a year but I can't stop coming from the outside in and that why its slicing so badly. The long irons are getting better but wood and driver still suck

Quote Originally Posted by DCH
    1) Rule 5-2 says it is.
    2) Use your shirt tail.
    Gotcha... Oh well, guess I'll keep slicing away... There has to be an easier way than practice and lessons... LOL....

Dan

"Richard"
    I'm with Broken27 on this one There has to be an easier way... I don't want to be a cheater anymore. I have seen the light

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    thats a good idea as well!!! I wonder what would happen if you used a ball with no dimples... it would just go straight right? The less dimples the better? Someone told me the oposite though, said more dimples the better.. maybe they were talking in terms of controling the ball

PS i'm so stupid. I just got an email indicated that broken27 have replied and what did I do? I hit reply, typed the above and hit send.. ahahah
    Not sure about this one. You can slice and hook a ping pong ball.

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I'm just frustrated because every sport I've ever played I've been VERY good at it and this is the first sport that I suck at and people who can't beat me at anything else are beating me at golf. I've been told I have a great swing for someone who has been playing for less than a year but I can't stop coming from the outside in and that why its slicing so badly. The long irons are getting better but wood and driver still suck
    Aim your downswing right of the target and you will be coming from inside out.

Thread Information