CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
    Putter supergolfstar is on a distinguished road

interesting observation about Clublink

I have been watching the boards, as a new ottawa citizen. I've seen some pretty good comments in here. I am about to join Clublink but want to confirm that they are in fact going to buy a new golf course in the ottawa region. which ones are they supposed to buy? I hear that stoneridge is one? is that the right one? please help me make my final decision !!!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Oh no, not again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you choose to join Clublink, do so on the courses that they have in their portfolio today.

If you can get a commitment from them IN WRITING that they will be buying another club within a certain time frame or you get your money back let us know.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    That is a rumour that comes up all the time. They have NOT purchased Stonebridge nor is there a deal pending.

I would not buy anything based on hoping a rumour comes true. The only thing you should consider is what they have now, not what they may or may not acquire.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar

welcome supergolfstar

Quote Originally Posted by supergolfstar
    I have been watching the boards, as a new ottawa citizen. I've seen some pretty good comments in here. I am about to join Clublink but want to confirm that they are in fact going to buy a new golf course in the ottawa region. which ones are they supposed to buy? I hear that stoneridge is one? is that the right one? please help me make my final decision !!!!

There have been rumours for sometime... not sure why some people get so upset about it... Posters are simply speculating/discussing... whatever you want to call it. If you don't like it, stay off the thread.

Stonebridge will likely be sold at some point as Monarch is not in the golf business. Clublink is a potential buyer...although it could just as easily be someone else. I would not buy into Clublink simply on the hopes they buy another course. Even though Clublink has said they will buy at least another course, it could be years.

FWIW, I spoke to some Toronto members last year and what they heard was that the new CEO has a different strategy. Under Simmonds, Clublink's plan was to expand quickly and buy new courses... under the new CEO, the plan is to slow things down a bit and build on what they have. This was just 2nd hand information so take it for what it is worth.

Anyway, supergolfstar, there are a few of us Clublink members here so feel free to post any questions you may have. Maybe just send me a PM as we wouldn't want any posters getting their panties in a twist over another clublink thread.

are you sure its just a rumour? everywhere I go it seems people are talking about it. I was at Golftown the other day and the MR. who was serving me was pretty pumped saying it was going to bring ottawa golf to a whole new level! and i was at golf-o-max and the group next to us were raving on and on about it... weird eh? but who am i to know? i'm so new to the ottawa community that i'm just not so sure anymore!

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Jeez, Clublink must be spending some of our hard earned entrance fee money to recruit guys to promote the organization on this board. There is no shortage of talk, that's for sure, and there is certainly no shortage of Stonebridge talk either. I find it quite comical and entertaining to be honest.

*edit* - superstar, I just joined last year at Greyhawk and I think it's a great deal. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I would say it is still a rumour... I am anxious to hear something and check with a few sources in the know but have not heard anything.

Where are you thinking of joining? I do know GH plans to increase their entrance fees so don't wait too long.

...saying it was going to bring ottawa golf to a whole new level!
    That is kind of comical... don't see what major difference it will make.
    Last edited by jmr73; 03-15-2005 at 04:14 PM. Reason: fixed html

i just want to response to say that me is not a clublink employ. I am new to the ottawa community and want to get best bang for $$!!! wouldn't you want to do so as well as a new community individuaL>? thank you for the notes. please tell me more about it.

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    i just want to response to say that me is not a clublink employ. I am new to the ottawa community and want to get best bang for $$!!! wouldn't you want to do so as well as a new community individuaL>? thank you for the notes. please tell me more about it.
    Yeah I was just kidding about that. There has just been so much talk here lately about Clublink that I thought it might be appropriately funny. Either way, welcome to Ottawa!

no! you are accusing me ! i want you to learn from you mistake! bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    That is kind of comical... don't see what major difference it will make.
    maybe iti will mean that marketing and promotion $4 will bring it to new levels unseen in the past? i hear stoneridge is cool!

People just love this rumour. The GM of Stonebridge has declared this a false rumour every 4 months for years now. It still has not happened. Here we go again.

Yawn.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Lets start another one. Clublink is buying Royal Ottawa!!!!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    I spoke to one of the ClubLink guys "in the Know" and he mentioned to me that not only is Stonebridge pretty close to a sure thing but that there are a couple more courses they have considered buying and decisions are pending. While he didn't say which ones he smiled as I said the names Pineview and Eagle Creek.

Although Pineview is leased by the city ClubLink could do a lot of good for that area if they boaught and invested in bring it up to par witheir other courses.

that's what i was saying that they were going to take golf to the next level in ottawa region and surrounding vallye

The fellas in the "know" are always saying that. So I guess this time it must be true.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMulligan
    I spoke to one of the ClubLink guys "in the Know" and he mentioned to me that not only is Stonebridge pretty close to a sure thing but that there are a couple more courses they have considered buying and decisions are pending. While he didn't say which ones he smiled as I said the names Pineview and Eagle Creek.

Although Pineview is leased by the city ClubLink could do a lot of good for that area if they boaught and invested in bring it up to par witheir other courses.
    EC is nowhere near a deal. Lacasse is asking 12 000 000$ for the course. Clublink have no problem paying for that but they want all land surrounding the course. CL wants to build a huge project to bring players to them. The land deal is a big no no. I hope a deal can be made but I don’t think so!!!

As for Pinview, I sincerely doubt that CL would buy that type of course. CL buys and builds only top quality courses. I don’t want to diss Pinview but the quality does not come close to CL standards.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    The land at Pineview is owned by the NCC and is part of the Greenbelt, so it cannot be sold. The course is run by the city as a public golf course. ClubLink owns the land for all their courses and almost all of their courses are now private. So Pineview is not an attractive property for ClubLink.

Furthermore, IF the city was considering contracting out the management of the course, it could only do so by public tender in an open competition - i.e., it would not be a big secret and ClubLink would not necessarily be the winning bidder.

BTW, conditions at Pineview were much better last year than in previous years. Their investment in an irrigation system and the considerable amount of new sod they put in is starting to pay off. It isn't in the upper echelon of courses by any means, but it is better than many others and is certainly a good deal for the price.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

The thing I find funny is how unwavering people are in refuting these rumours

To those of you who keep arguing that there is no truth to the rumour because someone at Stonebridge told them so... Honestly, what would you expect from Stonebridge. Consider this...
    1- They are not going to acknowledge any rumours as this could negatively affect their sales before a takeover by clublink. I would imagine that someone who was considering purchasing an annual membership with Stonebridge would consider investing in a clublink course if they knew it was going to switch hands.
    2- Maybe they are not allowed to say anything.
    3- maybe they just don't know

On the other hand, rumours have been going around for sometime... Clublink has hinted that Stonebridge was a course they were interested in... it is pretty clear that Stonebridge will be sold at some point in the future.

Not saying it is a done deal either way... just that there is plenty of room for discussion.

If Stonebridge + Pineview + Eagle Creek became a reality…. That might explain the comment about "changing the face of golf in Ottawa"

Just because someone in a golf shop says the face of golf is gonna change doesn't mean it will.
    Rumours are basically "what ifs". You can suppose anything you like. This can do a lot of damage to a business, and it is not productive to spread rumours.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    The rumours sure do seem to keep these forums busy. How far back in the archives of this forum do you have to go to find the 1st post on this topic?

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    Mr. Mulligan returns!!...
    I laugh too at how often and vehemently people on these boards refute :reallymad the "Rumours" that Stonebridge is going to be purchased. As stated before, the land developers will not want to continue to run the course and all discussions that I've had in the past year with senior ClubLink officials have had a wink wink , nudge nudge part. While everyone may deny it, the indications are that ClubLink will buy the course and those who have memberships at Stonebridge will probably be able to join at a sweet deal when it happens. The best set of courses in the Ottawa region are only going to get better!

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Mr. Mulligan returns!!...
    I laugh too at how often and vehemently people on these boards refute :reallymad the "Rumours" that Stonebridge is going to be purchased. As stated before, the land developers will not want to continue to run the course and all discussions that I've had in the past year with senior ClubLink officials have had a wink wink , nudge nudge part. While everyone may deny it, the indications are that ClubLink will buy the course and those who have memberships at Stonebridge will probably be able to join at a sweet deal when it happens. The best set of courses in the Ottawa region are only going to get better!
    Its because that rumour has been going on since Stonebridge opened...

Thread Information