CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road

Quebec golfer almost dies...

A golfer at Kingsway almost died Saturday when he was hit by lightning. Lightning hit his umbrella. Friends saved his life by performing CPR.

For the Francophones, here is a link to the news article.

http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/infos/faits...02-193058.html
    nice_lag
    Almonte

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag

A golfer at Kingsway almost died Saturday when he was hit by lightning. Lightning hit his umbrella. Friends saved his life by performing CPR.

For the Francophones, here is a link to the news article.

http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/infos/faits...02-193058.html
    I got off the course at 1210 and there was a tourney (and the rain) just starting, he must have been part of the tournament

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am very glad he is OK. There was a golfer hit at Gatineau some years ago. I am actually suprised it does not happen more often with the number of thunder storms we get around here.

Alta Vista Translator did a pretty bad job of this one...
    A golfor failed to lose the life, Saturday afternoon, in Outaouais. He was on the ground of Kingsway, in Gatineau, lorsqu'un violent one storm burst. The lightning struck its umbrella. L'homme underwent a cardiorespiratory stop. Fortunately, his/her friends could practise operations of reanimation before l'arrivée of the helps. C'est probably what saved the life to him. The victim all the same was seriously wounded with the feet and the hands, but one does not fear for his life.
    All youre base are belong to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I am very glad he is OK. There was a golfer hit at Gatineau some years ago. I am actually suprised it does not happen more often with the number of thunder storms we get around here.

Alta Vista Translator did a pretty bad job of this one...
    All youre base are belong to us!

Perhaps I am mistaken but are the courses not required by law to have a lightning sensing sytem in place? In southern Ontario just about all the courses have them. Lighting is detected about 5 miles from the course and the course is closed.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    A golfor failed to lose the life, Saturday afternoon, in Outaouais. He was on the ground of Kingsway, in Gatineau, lorsqu'un violent one storm burst. The lightning struck its umbrella. L'homme underwent a cardiorespiratory stop. Fortunately, his/her friends could practise operations of reanimation before l'arrivée of the helps. C'est probably what saved the life to him. The victim all the same was seriously wounded with the feet and the hands, but one does not fear for his life.
    Okay, it's a serious situation, but this is a friggin hilarious translation... As if trying to sink the little white ball into a hole 400+ yards away isn't frustrating enough, the "golfor" failed to lose the life??? Poor guy...

Translation sounds like it was done by the same people who brought us "All your base are belong to us"....

I am surprised that this lightning stuff doesn't happen more often, considering golf in the rain is like walking around with a bag full of lightning rods strapped to your back...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I am very glad he is OK. There was a golfer hit at Gatineau some years ago.
    It was 3 years ago. The guy was practising at his home course the day before the City & District "B" Class event. He ended up in the foursome in front of me and the media was all over him!! Very distracting to say the least......

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I heard that a guy at Glen Mar got hit this year as well... Apparently, the marshall told him to get off the course because of lightning but he told him off and got hit later...

3 Wood LongHitta is on a distinguished road LongHitta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    I heard that a guy at Glen Mar got hit this year as well... Apparently, the marshall told him to get off the course because of lightning but he told him off and got hit later...
    yeah, he didn't get hit directly though. The lightning hit the ground about 50 feet from him and gave him a little zap, enough to keep him conscious i beleive. THis guy at Kingsway got hit directly on the umbrella.

as for the warning system mkemila, all courses have one. The sirens at kingsway went off right after the first lightning was noticed, and the golfer was on his way back to the clubhouse when he was struck......hows that for luck
    this is one of the major reasons I don't use an umbrella on the golf course, you're at risk when you stand in the middle of the fairway with a lightning rod in your hands. Atleast if you're going to have one, stand over by the trees or something.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Mine has a wood shaft. Less attractive to excited electrons ( I hope)

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    My understanding is that you want to avoid becoming an antaenna: If you are alone on the top of a hill, you are more likely to be hit than if you are in the bottom of a valley. Standing next to a tall tree is a bad idea if the tree is the tallest structure in a large area.

There is also the randomness of lightning: a single cow can get struck in the middle of a herd...

Taking the precaution of going indoors is the smartest move. Otherwise, you'd best hope "his/her friends could practise operations of reanimation before l'arrivee of the helps"

Happy to hear that his friends new cpr + that he'll be ok.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    And as I heard on the radio, the guy was at even par after 9 holes..... anyone smell Caddyshack?!

Quote Originally Posted by LongHitta
    yeah, he didn't get hit directly though. The lightning hit the ground about 50 feet from him and gave him a little zap, enough to keep him conscious i beleive. THis guy at Kingsway got hit directly on the umbrella.

as for the warning system mkemila, all courses have one. The sirens at kingsway went off right after the first lightning was noticed, and the golfer was on his way back to the clubhouse when he was struck......hows that for luck
    this is one of the major reasons I don't use an umbrella on the golf course, you're at risk when you stand in the middle of the fairway with a lightning rod in your hands. Atleast if you're going to have one, stand over by the trees or something.

If you want to talk luck....I only saw one lightning flash on my way home from Kingsway that day....get your calculator ready

1. hit by lightning
    2. hit by the only bolt of lightning
    3. hit by the only bolt of lightning while playing your best game ever
    4. having a guy on an adjacent fairway that had just recertified his CPR the week before.

I worked it out 1 in 700 gajillion!
    Too bad he was unconscious and couldn't buy a lottery ticket

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    If I had the same luck with lottery tickets, I'd have won every draw, but that doesn't even come close to the pleasure I get every time I see my loved ones.
    BTW, my umbrella had a graphite shaft and nylon canopy supports. The only metal part was the spring that opens the umbrella, and it was enclosed in a plastic casing. I'm convinced that it deadened the blow, had the bolt entered directly I wouldn't be writing this.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Question for you THUNDAH . Did you see that great big white tunnel that some people claim to have seen?

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    No I didn't see the tunnel or the brite white light. Either I wasn't gone long enough, (the guys that performed CPR on me had me restarted within 3 minutes) or I wasn't going in the right direction. Some even said that my burns weren't from the lightning!!
    Last edited by THUNDAH; 09-01-2005 at 09:42 PM. Reason: incomplete

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Glad you made it! What a story!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Thread Information