100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Golf Pride Decade Mulitcompound Replacements

I've read here that Sharpro make a cheap alternative to the Golf Pride Decade Mulitcompound grip. What's the verdict on these Sharpro's. Same feel and tackiness as the Golf Pride? Good durability? Anybody ever take a file to expose a new layer of rubber on the Sharpros?

I thought I had also read Golfworks was discontinuing them, but I see they are still for sale on the website.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I tried them ,besides the colour I did not think they were close
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

2 Iron luigicactus is on a distinguished road
    For all I know, Sharpro owns the patent of the multicompound grips. GolfPride pays them big $$$ to use the technology. Thats one of the main reason the GP are way more expensive. That and the fact that a lot of golfers are brand addicts (and infuenced by marketing) and whiling to pay big $$$ ourselves if we are said that product X is better.
    Last season I did a wedge test putting the GolfPride and Sharpro equivalent and played them for a full season (griped the rest with regular tour velvet). At first, I thought the Sharpro was off. Then I did a blind test and could not tell the difference in feel and tackiness. On the long run, they wore about the same speed. The golfpride did worne out first, but I believe it's because I used my 56* a little bit more then my 52*.
    My verdict, next time I regrip I'll go Sharpro. Same results and way cheaper. If only I didn't have that bubble in my brain that made me try Winn grips... Early june and it's almost time for a regrip...

Appreciate the information. I went ahead and placed an order with Golfworks. Unfortunately, they're back ordered, and they say the anticipated ship date is 07/10/09. At least it was '09.

I figured for the price, it is worth a try.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Check:
    http://www.golfsmith.com/ca/products...3&fcst=GSI_CAN

BTW do not atttempt to blow those off with air.That includes GP. Sharpro etc..
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I found the Sharpros to be much drier and harder than the GPs but that is just me, they did last the season though.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    No comparison, I found the Sharpros terrible.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I tried the Tacki-mac dual molded grips on a set of irons and I was happy with the way they felt and performed.........they cost a fraction with the GPDMs cost.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp...004R_A_cn_E_77

BG458
    Squeeze bottle, solvent, coat hanger and patience

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Check:
    http://www.golfsmith.com/ca/products...3&fcst=GSI_CAN

BTW do not atttempt to blow those off with air.That includes GP. Sharpro etc..

BG458
    Honestly guys it is not hard at all to remove these find some that is selling some shafts cheap with these grips and just remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by BG458 View Post
    Squeeze bottle, solvent, coat hanger and patience
    Not hard with the blade style remover.Just too thin for the compressor method is what I meant. Other than looks there are a multitude of grips that are much beteer for 1/2 the price
    Mahatma Gandhi

Chief - thanks for the suggestion. I'm all ears for other alternatives to the GPDM's that perform better than the Sharpros. How about the Tacki-mac grips below.

I'm looking for a grip of the same dimensions to the GP's as I've got smaller than average hands.

BTW - a little tip I learned with blowing on/off grips, which is what I've been doing for a couple years now. Blowing off a GPDM, to prevent the bottom non-cord portion from developing a little bubble, and consequently blowing up in your face (I ALWAYS wear sefety glasses blowing on/off grips), is to wrap something around the grip that will still allow it to expand and come off the grip, but prevent the bubble growing and popping in your face.

I've wrapped the grip with webbing (typically used for rock climbing in my previous life). I've experimented with wrapping with bubble wrap, and then putting one of those plastic club holders in golf bags around it to hold everything together. I admit, it's a bit of chore and GPDM are the most challenging to get off with air, but still better than the old fashioned way, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
    Chief - thanks for the suggestion. I'm all ears for other alternatives to the GPDM's that perform better than the Sharpros. How about the Tacki-mac grips below.

I'm looking for a grip of the same dimensions to the GP's as I've got smaller than average hands.

BTW - a little tip I learned with blowing on/off grips, which is what I've been doing for a couple years now. Blowing off a GPDM, to prevent the bottom non-cord portion from developing a little bubble, and consequently blowing up in your face (I ALWAYS wear sefety glasses blowing on/off grips), is to wrap something around the grip that will still allow it to expand and come off the grip, but prevent the bubble growing and popping in your face.

I've wrapped the grip with webbing (typically used for rock climbing in my previous life). I've experimented with wrapping with bubble wrap, and then putting one of those plastic club holders in golf bags around it to hold everything together. I admit, it's a bit of chore and GPDM are the most challenging to get off with air, but still better than the old fashioned way, IMHO.

I remember reading somewhere that some guy punched a few tiny holes with a needle in the bottom portion of the GP to avoid ballooning.Some other guy used a homemade naugahyde wrap.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I forgot about the needle trick - heard that one too.

Chief - could you kindly list a couple good (cheap) alternatives to the GPDM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post

Are you looking for something similar in feel or something similar in size?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Are you looking for something similar in feel or something similar in size?
    I've played the GPDM for many years no, I'm very fond of the tackiness of them. I think the tacky lower part is something I've grown to really like.... and they're very thin there. I have smaller than average hands. For a golf glove, sometimes I can get away with a woman's large size.

I recently tried the new Wishon V-Series full cord design. They're starting to grow on me, only after I stretched the lower part as much as I could. I actually find them slippery.

I'd say what I like most about the GP's is the tackiness. I'd probably be happy with a cheap $1.50 rubber grip!! The other thing I liked about the GP's was the fact that after a while, once they get teflon slippery, I run a file lightly over them and get some more life out of them.

Thanks if you've got some good suggestions.

Thread Information