100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Making an A flex shaft play like an R flex

I have A flex shafts and I want to make them play closer to an R flex. I will only be using the shafts on my 6i-pw so a total of 5 shafts. I have the complete set of A flex 3-PW. My question is if I take the shafts from 5-9 which would be 1/2" longer than the 6-pw and then cut 1/2" off the tip of these would this be enough to stiffen the shaft enough to lay like an R or am I better to trim 1" from the butt of the shafts from the 4-8i shafts?

The shafts are the frequency matched Mercury Pro Kevlar are a 75g shaft with 3.3 torque

Thanks, Luc
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Why don't you shaft one iron up as is and see how it plays? Might play stiffer than stated. Fred Couples played with an L flex shaft in one of his fairway woods for a long time.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    That is a good suggestion, I will install the 7 iron and see how it does but these are frequency matched so I suspect they will be as labelled. On the other hand my driver CPM is very close to the lower end of R and the higher end of A so it just may work out.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    why don't you tip trim each shaft to make it more stiff?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

Tipping doesn't always make the shaft play stiffer, but usually lowers the ball flight.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

What if it's already beeen tip trimmed and you do not have any PTS left?
    What if the previous owner did not tip trim them at all?

What if the shaft is a tip stiff and sof butt or vice versa

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Chief, these are Terry's shafts on your old Ravens, do you remember how you trimmed them?
    Lefty Lucas

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Chief, these are Terry's shafts on your old Ravens, do you remember how you trimmed them?

McGoo's shafts are xxx stiff
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Andre trimmed them to play like a piece of spaghetti.

Perfect for me too, I play like a noodle sometimes.
    Lefty Lucas

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    In a thread you posted earlier this year, you emphatically stated that you had been fitted, and praised the person who performed the fitting and you had all your ducks in a row ready to roll for 08. Now, 2 weeks in to the season, you want to fidlle with a set of FM shafts that have the letter "A" on it ( Mercury's "A" !, What does "A" mean ? ) to turn them in to what you are calling an "R" ? Who's "R" ? Mercury's "R" ?, T.T's "R" ? What does "R" stand for ? What up J.L ?Your fitter should have provided you with the ideal weight, bend profile and lenght of shaft for your particular swing. If the Mercs don't fit you, "C'est la vie ". Shafts should only be tweaked, not transformed. My advice to you is; you paid $$ for a fitting and it sounded like you were happy with the results, so, go with the recommendations you paid for. You will ruin the Mercs and get noting for them ! Bite the bullet and purchase what you need.
    Hope this will help you in your quest.

Les, my post you mention above was for my Srixon irons which have since been sold (the irons were cut 1" and I was not interested in adding an extension). The fitting for my driver went fine and I am sticking with his recommendations.

Now I am going to the Callaway fitting centre which was supposed to open this month in Montreal but is now scheduled to open in early May. I am goign with my brother to see some relatives, eat smoked meata nd get fitted by Cally. Your right, I did I did state that my ducks would all be in a row but with the new irons it has yet to happen. The post here is for these same Callaways as they are steel shafted and my question was to see if I could use some tip or butt trimming to match up the frequency and playing length for my SS. The Mercury graphite shafts were given to me and I do not want to cut them up if I cannot use them, I would return them to the owner. I have tried the Constant weight shafts on the Callys before and they were a little to heavy for me but hey that is why I am going to the fitting centre and not changing out the shafts until I get the spec sheet.
    Lefty Lucas

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    OK, so I have researched the best shafts and driver heads, sought out the best irons for me, tweaked my wedges and got the elusive putter that gives me a great confidence when standing over it. I searched for the right combination in a ball for spin and distance for my swing speed. I then went to see Don at Artisan and had him check my equipment for lie, loft, length, flex etc... Now what????

I feel ready for the new season and I am heading for central Florida on the 23rd. BUT WAIT, it seems I have eliminated all my excuses for playing mediocre golf

This was the post I was reffering to Luc.Reading it sounded like you had the irons done also. My bad.

Just out of curiousity, what is it you you expect to get out of going to Callaway with your irons. Some guy around here re fits OEM's for people all the time,but his name escapes me at the moment .

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Hi Luc,

Did you get my message re the mercury PK "A" flex?

Did you need any other info?

Hi Jim, yes, you said they were at 297 I think the message had a lot of static so I was not sure.
    Lefty Lucas

Irons

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    OK, so I have researched the best shafts and driver heads, sought out the best irons for me, tweaked my wedges and got the elusive putter that gives me a great confidence when standing over it. I searched for the right combination in a ball for spin and distance for my swing speed. I then went to see Don at Artisan and had him check my equipment for lie, loft, length, flex etc... Now what????

I feel ready for the new season and I am heading for central Florida on the 23rd. BUT WAIT, it seems I have eliminated all my excuses for playing mediocre golf

This was the post I was reffering to Luc.Reading it sounded like you had the irons done also. My bad.

Just out of curiousity, what is it you you expect to get out of going to Callaway with your irons. Some guy around here re fits OEM's for people all the time,but his name escapes me at the moment .
    Hi Les, actually you are partially right, the irons I brought in to Don were the KZGs which I still have. I still have to get used to them as they are forged (smaller head and not as forgiving, maybe to much fo rmy gaem right now) but I will stay with those as a second set for sure. The Srixons had been cut 1" by "another" name component company for which I had a gift certificate for a fitting and stupidly went there. The cut was recommended after seeing me hit 6 balls and trying a shorter club. It never corrected the problem and I was left with shorter clubs, thank Goodness I sold them. Don also confirmed that cutting down the clubs was not required in his eyes.

To answer your question, I went back to Callaway because looking back a couple of years I noticed I was hitting 2x as many greens with the Callys than with the other irons. I figure I would go back to them and see if this will help (more forgiving head)and I just want to make sure that I have the right specs for me, they should know, I hope plus a tirp to Mtl and smoked meat is part of the package.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information