100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

2 years coming...

The OG heli-cam finally made it's golf course debut...

The Meadows was looking dapper this morning, draped in it's coat of fog.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Those are some nice pics Dan. Anymore plans to snap some pics of other courses?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Oui Oui.
    It has always been a frustration that ground level pictures are kinda featureless in a lot of cases. I really believe that this is something that will set our websites well "above" the rest. I have been working toward this goal for so long. It feels really good to finally have some tangible results.

Well I have to say very impressive. If you start a section with pics of courses for people to browse that would be awesome. If you haven't played a course before perhaps some pics will either convince or deter you to play it. Can't wait to see some more.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Not only is that wild and wonderful, but you should consider selling them to courses to display on their web sites. It gives a fantastic better-than-normal perspective.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    A unique perspective, really: your chopper can fly much lower than the other aerial shots as well. even lower I think than the chopper shots of the holes wee see on the pga courses on tv. Great idea! keep the pics coming.

Can you take video with it as well? I know weight is a big issue with those model choppers, but with the ever shrinking cameras...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Heli Cam

Dan that Heli Cam is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet I have never seen anything like that and it really does a great job.
    Thanks for sharing those photos with us.
    Now if I could ask, and I am sure others might be interested. What were the costs involved to put that thing together?
    Thanks
    Rick
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    You mean you have never seen anyting like that in your "24 YEARS OF GOLFING"??? LOL Just kidding. Great pics Dan, I have to get out and play that course. I have heard great things from you guys about it but I have still yet to play it.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Honest to God Dan, those are amazing pics. The top right photo in particular is postcard perfect. Haven't played the Meadows yet, and now I want to.
    Nice work. Of this is the debut I can only imagine how nice the shots will be once you get the hang of it...

Now if I could ask, and I am sure others might be interested. What were the costs involved to put that thing together?
    I have $3000 invested in the Heli itself.
    The camera and video downlink adds another $850
    So I am throwing just under $4k in the air when I fly.
    Add another $2k for ground gear.

As I said, this took 2 years to get it all together, learn to fly it and to shoot effectively with it.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    WOW Dan, bravo to you! Very nice pictures, especially the one with the leaves changing colors.

Do you think Hootie Johnson (The Masters) will let you fly over Augusta? I wonder what the PGA Tour would do if your helicopter was at one of their events? Maybe they would call the FBI?!?!?!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

beatnik58
    Great pics Dan! Do you have the capability to do video as well?

No video, unless you like motion sickness.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    You mean you have never seen anyting like that in your "24 YEARS OF GOLFING"??? LOL Just kidding. Great pics Dan, I have to get out and play that course. I have heard great things from you guys about it but I have still yet to play it.
    Hahaha, nope never seen any Heli Cams flying over my course. I have seen the cops flying over looking for dope in the near by corn fields though!

As for Dan's investment into the project, that is a lot of cash to say the least. I wonder if he can get contracts to take overhead photos of the local Ottawa courses? Seems like that would be a good way to make back some of that investment.
    Or flying over nudists camps
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

He could make a lot of money flying over nudists camps if he happens to find any celebrities...

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    No video, unless you like motion sickness.
    Bah.. motion sickness...

Well done Dan. That is a great initiative and I sincerely hope that you'll generate interest within the community. I know that Tangle Creek here in Barrie has used an helicopter to map their course and provide video and it's really nice.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Andru
    That's impressive Dan you shoudl package that up and sell it.

BTW: nice business invensment. Not many courses can afford to hire a helicopter to take those pics.

Best of Luck with it.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Hahaha, nope never seen any Heli Cams flying over my course. I have seen the cops flying over looking for dope in the near by corn fields though!

As for Dan's investment into the project, that is a lot of cash to say the least. I wonder if he can get contracts to take overhead photos of the local Ottawa courses? Seems like that would be a good way to make back some of that investment.
    Or flying over nudists camps
    The question is why just Ottawa?

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Cool!!! Great looking shots. I would think shots like this would be benificial to courses. What kind of altitude can you get with that thing? Video or shots from higher up should really give a good impression of some of the holes.

The pics are taken from 50' - 120'.
    This is a small lightweight heli. For video and/or higher altitude you are looking at a full size helicopter equiped with a gyro stabalized video camera, like the cops use.

What this offers is a unique perspective on the course at an affordable price.

It can also be used for real estate etc...

Commercial
    • Advertising - your facility from above. Overhead views make lots and buildings look much bigger and more impressive.
    • Auto Dealership
    • Strip mall
    • Factory
    • Race Track
    • Stadium
    • Office building
    Residential
    • Residential home and surrounding property - best for larger "estate" properties due to the confined space in standard lots on suburban streets which can be impractical or impossible to do.
    • Farm house, barn and fields
    • Land use determination - Property line dispute "encroachment"
    • Environmental studies
    Insurance
    • Damage assessment
    • Weather, Flood, Fire
    • Estate Agents
    • Appraisals and land surveys.
    • Aerial photography can be overlaid with property lines and can assist in documenting the appraisal process.
    Tourism
    • Landmarks, Historic Sites and Attractions
    • Events

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Nice "shootin" Dan.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Wow,

You have to start charging for that use; it's a very unique and expensive piece of equipment and I think all courses would like it! That's an awesome idea and pictures.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Nice work Dan.

You could easily sell (or provide) photos to local courses to advertise in their brochures or fronts of scorecards.

This will definately be offered to courses for next season. I have not decided on a price for a shoot yet. I will be doing some more tests - samples over the next 2 weeks.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    This will definately be offered to courses for next season. I have not decided on a price for a shoot yet. I will be doing some more tests - samples over the next 2 weeks.
    Careful during your tests Dan, I believe hunting season starts soon
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Not to sound redundant but if i was a GC owner or manager I would be jumping on this opportunity. It is the best thing to get an idea of the course Good luck Dan, tremendous innovative thinking!!!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information