100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Your goal with your long game should be to eliminate big numbers from the score card.
    Before you spend all your time on the short game, make sure that you pay attention to this comment.

I have seen many high handicappers that can't keep the ball in play worry about their "short game". That putt to save double isn't going to help the handicap much.

When I made a concerted effort to get into the single digits I analysed my game and figured out I was losing 4-5 strokes a round off the tee. I fixed that problem and went from a 13 to 9 with relative ease.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Before you spend all your time on the short game, make sure that you pay attention to this comment.

I have seen many high handicappers that can't keep the ball in play worry about their "short game". That putt to save double isn't going to help the handicap much.

When I made a concerted effort to get into the single digits I analysed my game and figured out I was losing 4-5 strokes a round off the tee. I fixed that problem and went from a 13 to 9 with relative ease.
    lol. i hear you J. i just didn't want to get too off topic in my reply.

i had a swing analysis done with warren grant recently and saw myself on tv for the first time. lo and behold i didn't bend my knees at all, and my upper body (arms) were doing all the work. once i started bending my knees i noticed that the slice i had with long irons and woods was gone. so ya, i will not ignore my long game. i think 50/50 practice time between short game and long game is what i'll aim for.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    i must admit, i'm guilty of writing from a different perspective. I think that the comments re: the long game hold incredibly true with lower cappers however...

i made assumption that getting off the tee wasn't really the issue. truth is though, most people over emphasize the importance of the long game though, don't you think? i suppose that's why it's such a great game. you have to encompass a complete package... that's why i love it!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I know of one semi-private range that used to use ProV1s at their range. A few years ago when I played Fox Harb'r in Nova Scotia, they had ProV1s nicely stacked in pyramids at the range. It blew me away.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    does anyone know of any practice ranges in the ottawa area that use only titleist pro v1 balls to customers? i figure it's best to practice with the ball i'm going to play with rather than practice with a different ball. i think hunt club does, but their walls are too high for me to jump.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    i must admit, i'm guilty of writing from a different perspective. I think that the comments re: the long game hold incredibly true with lower cappers however...

i made assumption that getting off the tee wasn't really the issue. truth is though, most people over emphasize the importance of the long game though, don't you think? i suppose that's why it's such a great game. you have to encompass a complete package... that's why i love it!
    pga teaching pros seem to think so. they dont see enough people practicing the short game.

i see golf like trying to solve a rubik's cube. if you want results you can't just focus on one side, you have to solve all sides together. (<--- i'm copyrighting this) ©

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that they use ProV1 balls at the driving range at Camelot. Maybe someone from that club on this board can confirm this.
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    truth is though, most people over emphasize the importance of the long game though, don't you think?
    In general, I agree. People go to the "driving" range and hit nothing but driver. That is bad.

The thread title is good in that is says "practice" range.

When I go I will hit all my clubs. Wedges right through driver. Always at targets and I will mix the distances I hit to so that I don't wail on one club for a long time.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they use ProV1 balls at the driving range at Camelot. Maybe someone from that club on this board can confirm this.
    I think they are NXT's.

prov1's cost $28/dozen on ebay and golftown brand new. these are the ones that have 'practice' written on the side of them. if a course were to buy these balls in bulk from titleist, wouldn't it be relatively cheap for them to have a practice range with only prov1's and prov1x's?

Compared to the $28/200 that they probably pay for the Callaway/Pinnacle range balls, no, it wouldn't be cheap.

i must say, i was comparing the difference between my prov1's and the callaway tour i with my putter at home; it was like hitting butter vs hitting a rock. these prov1's are amazingly soft. i can't wait to see how they perform on the course.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    just a word of warning, ProV1's tend to spin a lot, so if you are apt to hitting slices, etc. this will accentuate the slice. I see a big difference between ProV1's and the distance balls but IMHO, there is minimal difference, especially for a 20 cap between a ProV1 and the TM TP's, Nike One, Callaway 3 piece, and even the Top Flite D2 Feel. You may actually be better off with a distance ball or one of the others, especially when you considered the price of new ProV1's.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

can a player switch balls once they get to the green? say i use callaways to get to the green but use a prov1 to sink my putt.

can a player switch balls once they get to the green? say i use callaways to get to the green but use a prov1 to sink my putt.
    No, that is against the rules.

you know those free putting surfaces outside some clubs, like meadows or loch march. could i technically go there and practice my putting for half an hour and leave?

just curious if there's an offical policy on that.

I know I have done it at Loch March several times, but they see me there often enough that I've never been asked to leave.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Camelot Balls are definitely NXT's - at least as of late July this past season.

Nokids - I'm sure 'technically' practice facilities are for green fee'rs only, but there would never ever be an issue...

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Just to throw a wrench into this discussion, some of the higher end (+$100/round) courses I've been to in the US have supplied PV1's on the range.

I recall Champions Gate near Orlando had them.

Sand Wedge RLAM is on a distinguished road
    figured I'd let you boys know, the range @ Mer Bleu is probably the best range balls I have foundi n Ottawa, they use the Srixon practice balls.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RLAM View Post
    they use the Srixon practice balls.
    what's the pronunciation of this ball:
    Shrikzon? Shr-eye-zon? Srikssown?

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RLAM View Post
    figured I'd let you boys know, the range @ Mer Bleu is probably the best range balls I have foundi n Ottawa, they use the Srixon practice balls.

Cheers
    I've seen a few ranges with Srixon lately. This combined with the samples and offers that they have lately, seem to me to be a pretty good eye for marketing in an extremely competitive industry. If I like the samples, I'll have no problem buying a box or two.

My wife just bought me a dozen Callaway Tour i(s), so we'll see how I like them compared to the Srixon. I'm actually having a hard time settling on a ball lately, as I have found elements of many of what is on the market to be pretty good. I spent a lot of last summer playing the TP Black, which I quite enjoyed.

Any balls used at driving ranges that have the manufacturers name on them with the range stripes are noway near the type of balls you buy at a golf shop/store. They are made "specificaly" for a driving range which means that they are hard and can withstand abuse from frequent hitting and washing. The covers are usualy like rocks (titanium most of the time). Many of them are designed for reduced distance meaning that they will not go as far as any balls you buy in the store.

Any other balls that you find at a driving range without the driving range stripes are pond balls or balls from a manufacturer that have minor defects (whatever they may be). Balls used at a driving ranges are not considered legal for play. The PROV1's that you may find at a premium course driving range have "PRACTICE" written on them; and they too are not considered legal for play.

Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    The PROV1's that you may find at a premium course driving range have "PRACTICE" written on them; and they too are not considered legal for play.
    i dont think they are legal for tournament play, but i'm using them this year for my rounds of golf.

----------------------

Q: May I use a ball stamped with "Practice" or "X-Out" to play a round of golf?

A: Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with ''PRACTICE'' or a circled ''P'', are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls.

http://www.titleist.com/customerserv...sp?faqid=62475

I can see golfers using them early/late in the year when course conditions are not up to snuff. I've got a half dozen PROV1 practice that i use for chipping..... nothing else.

I would not put one in a regular game though, not knowing what the "defect" was; if i made a bad shot or a bad putt my first instinct would be to blame it on the ball.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    I was at the Titleist fitting centre the other day with our club pro; at Ealges Nest in TO. They use ProV1's on the practice range and NXT's for the short game practice facility. It was quite the treat to get fitted into a driver and three with with just ProV1's in the bad.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    on the range i can figure out the yardages with the rangefinder, but once i get on a course those measurements wont help because brand new pro v1's are going to go 5-10 yards farther than the range balls (i am guessing) which makes a huge difference in club selection.
    I suggest going to a place where they have a launch monitor and you can get fitted or any ball. It will tell you exactly how far you hit it.

Thread Information