100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Putter OptimalFlght is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by patrice View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have corrected the inversion between measured and calculated value.

Initially I raised the same question about how a radar can measure the total spin.
    Apparently (and making it simple...as it was explained to me), the radar is able to measure the difference of turbulences between the top and the bottom of the ball when it flies. This difference will give the total spin....
    Then, the spin axis is "calculated using 3D movement of the club and tracking curvature of the ball. Wind has little effect. With no wind and a controlled environment there shouldn't be any tolerance on spin axis"

There is one point I didn't understand is the following :
    With no wind and a controlled environment there shouldn't be any tolerance on spin axis, because the horizontal azimuth is so low.

Maybe, some of your advanced user could explain. We lately had the honour to welcome a valuable and very helpful new member on the forum ("OptimalFlght", owner of Optimalflight). Maybe, will he be able to give us some explanations (I dropped him a mail)...

pat
    Hi Pat,

Thanks for the kind words and introduction to this forum.

I am not a radar expert but quite familiar with launch data from a variety of systems and launch maths. The total spin explanation makes sense looking at the turbulences between the top and bottom of the ball.

The last part "With no wind and a controlled environment there shouldn't be any tolerance on spin axis" - I believe they're saying that there should be no bias (or effect) on spin axis under a no wind & controlled launch environment, which makes sense to me. Not sure if tolerance is the right word. The ball is being tracked in 3D time and space and the unit is able to locate it. The tracking curvature for the length of the ball flight and club impact parameters are used to determine spin axis. In comparison, a photo based system would not need flight information because the sequence of ball images is used to determine the axis.

Regards,
    Todd

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Thank you for your explaination Todd.

Here's my question, if you hit a slice to the right with a driver, and say the wind was strong enough to straighten out the ball making it land on the target line, what will be the estimated spin axis or side spin?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Good question ZMax. When done here Todd look at the Foregolf thread as I have a question about the face angle, path and ball direction numbers on that sim.

Putter OptimalFlght is on a distinguished road
    I understand where you're getting at. Wind can bend the flight shape, causing spin axis to be incorrect if the entire flight is used. The reasonable solution is to shorten the flight time (eg the initial few seconds where the wind will not have much bias) for spin axis analytics.

OptimalFlight software can provide a more exact answer after inputting wind strength and direction, vert launch angle, horiz launch angle, and total spin, ball speed and then do 'what-if' for values of a spin axis to bring the ball back on target.

Regards,
    Todd

I would only assume that the spin axis would be incorrect if the radar is tracking the ball over a longer period. Does anyone know if Trackman or Flightscope factor wind into their software?

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    interested in upcoming trackman visit at the house later this week to demonstrate their trackman 3 indoor versus the foresight gc2. trackman folks weren't really saying the flightscope is in the same league but again a lot of marketing (they claim flightscope is not phased array where tm3 is). they claim the only numbers that will be close with gc2 is ball speed all others will not. excited to test side by side. these will be indoor test tm3 vs gc2 where tm3 will only demonstrate with their software since they view the E6 software as more of "gaming entertainment" and may not be as accurate.

just need a quick way to compare the gc2 rpm back/side/total to the tm3 axis spin in degrees. Any links would be helpful.

Todd (OptimalFlight) just noticed you are now online. Great news. Love your software and your optimal flight reports have been great for helping optimize the angle of descent with driver fittings (sliding over to the golfer/fiting discussions versus more gaming...). Keep up the great work.

9 Iron patator is on a distinguished road
    The flightscope doesn t need wind nor humidity info (will be checked within a couple of weeks)
    The only info necessay, about the environment, is the surelevation of the tee.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    I would only assume that the spin axis would be incorrect if the radar is tracking the ball over a longer period. Does anyone know if Trackman or Flightscope factor wind into their software?

Cory posted a video of the Flightscope T box from the PGA show. It's sits behind the screen and will track putts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZC1...7&feature=plcp

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    don't you just love on the 1st putt how the ball hits the screen in one spot and the sim ball starts on screen a foot to the left

Yeah, i noticed that too. But I really love how the club path was is not measured and more importantly, how spin axis and side spin are not even calculated. This simulator will fix all your slices or hooks.

Very questionable!!!

Thread Information