100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: What do you think of Tiger now?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Couldn't care less...

33 24.81%
  • Very disappointed, I like him less...

53 39.85%
  • This hasn't changed my opinion of him one bit...

39 29.32%
  • I like him more...

8 6.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Decent piece by Lerner but he's got one thing wrong, Tiger does NOT owe us a damn thing. He doesn't have to apologize to us or tell us the truth or share any home made videos. He owes Elin and his family all of those things, but not Joe Blow public.
    Sorry, not when you're playing with the house's money. There's at least 950 million reasons why the public has the right to know what's going on. Like it or not, the public's support of the products and services he endorses means that they own a good sized chunk of his ass. He's misrepresented himself in every way.

If he wants to give all that money back, and make a go of it on what he's actually earned, then I'll leave him alone. Until then, he's fair game.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Sorry, not when you're playing with the house's money. There's at least 950 million reasons why the public has the right to know what's going on. Like it or not, the public's support of the products and services he endorses means that they own a good sized chunk of his ass. He's misrepresented himself in every way.

If he wants to give all that money back, and make a go of it on what he's actually earned, then I'll leave him alone. Until then, he's fair game.
    I'd have to disagree with this, unless the "house" you are referring to is the government. These companies and corporations seek out Tiger to have him as a spokesperson for their enterprise and products. They opted to pay him. If they felt signing him to represent their company would help their sales and image, that's their perogative. As a consumer we are not forced to buy Nike gear, TAG watches and the like. We can choose as to which products we'd like to spend our hard earned dollars on. I don't believe just because I once bought a pair of Nike golf shoes I saw Tiger wearing I'm owed an explanation into his private life.

So unless Tiger starts collecting tax dollars, he doesn't owe Joe Public anything. Just my thoughts on this.

On a side note, if for some reason sales of Tiger endorsed products start to plummet, I could see an explanation or apology being owed to his sponsors, but even that's a stretch for me. These companies know there are risks involved with signing althletes to sponsorships: career ending injuries, scandals, change in attitude/persona, public perception.

A little something to pass the time instead of browsing through all the Tiger threads.

http://www.break.com/games/tiger-woods-wife-outrun.html
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 12-05-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I'd have to disagree with this, unless the "house" you are referring to is the government. These companies and corporations seek out Tiger to have him as a spokesperson for their enterprise and products. They opted to pay him. If they felt signing him to represent their company would help their sales and image, that's their perogative. As a consumer we are not forced to buy Nike gear, TAG watches and the like. We can choose as to which products we'd like to spend our hard earned dollars on. So unless Tiger starts collecting tax dollars, he doesn't owe Joe Public anything.

On a side note, if for some reason sales of Tiger endorsed products start to plummet, I could see an explanation or apology being owed to his sponsors, but even that's a stretch for me. These companies know there are risks involved with signing althletes to sponsorships: career ending injuries, scandals, change in attitude/persona, public perception.

A little something to pass the time instead of browsing through all the Tiger threads.

What he said.

Tiger does not owe you anything...he may owe people like Buick and Nike an explanation, but the guy who bought a sleeve of his balls doesn't have a right to anything.

And, seriously, what kind of putz buys something just because someone famous endorses it? If you've bought into the whole endorsement game, you've already lost.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Just where do you think all that money comes from?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

If there is a Tiger Woods tax on American's paystubs, I'll eat my hat.

With this logic you're basically saying that I have the right to question all sports figures that have sponsorships as to their whereabouts and how they spend their time away from their field of play because all of this money is government issued? You can't be serious????

Why do I let myself get dragged into this discussions??? LOL!!! Should've stayed clear.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 12-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

He hasn't misrepresented a thing......his sponsors may have but he didn't. No company spokesperson decides on how he/she will be marketed, that is up to the marketing department of the company in question.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Have to disagree with you completely on this one Rich. Tiger owes us nothing, notta zilch.. zippo... I am a Tiger fan but I own zero of his endorsed stuff cause I don't like it and I won't buy it just because they pay Tiger millions to endorse it. Nike and the likes have a right to spend the money that the consumers give them for products on whatever they please, it is none of our business as long as it is legal.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Why do I let myself get dragged into this discussions??? LOL!!! Should've stayed clear.
    I tried to stay out of the discussion as well until a few of these comments came LOL
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Tiger wouldn't be anywhere close to where he is without the fans. The companies that sponsored him wouldn't have had the dough to spend if the consumer didn't spend. Sorry, but yes, Tiger has a responsibility. He's even said so himself, as quoted in either this thread or the other. Tiger is has a billion dollars because of his fans and the consumers. Period.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    "If you made that big a mistake, you've got to come out and just be contrite, be honest and just tell … the public that 'I was wrong,' " Woods told ESPN. "And I think waiting a long time … got a lot of people polarized. … I just think if he would have come out earlier he would've diffused a little more of it."

-Tiger Woods speaking about Michael Vick.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Tiger wouldn't be anywhere close to where he is without the fans. The companies that sponsored him wouldn't have had the dough to spend if the consumer didn't spend. Sorry, but yes, Tiger has a responsibility. He's even said so himself, as quoted in either this thread or the other. Tiger is has a billion dollars because of his fans and the consumers. Period.
    ridiculous.

What the man does in his house, or a hotel room, is irrelevant. He hasn't broken any laws, he hasn't mislead anyone but his wife. In which Nike ad did Tiger say "You should buy these golf clubs, because I am a married man who is faithful to my wife". And, which consumers bought a Buick because Tiger Woods owned one which he promised he only used for good wholesome things?

Give me a break. The man made his money because he's a fantastic golfer, and the average consumer is daft enough to believe that if someone famous or skilled endorses something, it is worth having.

Those wedges will still spin the ball, the buick will still carry 7 passengers, and Tiger Woods is still the best at what he does. Even if he is an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    ridiculous.
    Good argument.

His father built that role for him and he stepped right into it, accepting it, and promoting it, all the way.

I guess I'll never understand how someone who has no personal or family association (let alone ever even cross paths with him), believes they are owed an explanation/apology as to what someone does on their own personal/private time.

I wouldn't want an apology/explanation from my best friend if the same thing happened to him. He would need to spend his time and energy fixing this with his wife and family, not wasting his time explaining/apologizing to complete strangers.

Personally, I think the demand is just to satisfy the voyeurism that is today's society.

Of course this is merely my opinion. But if anyone can present an actual legitimate argument as to why we are owed an explanation (not Tiger is who he is because of the fans and their money, which he isn't, he is who he is based on his talent and upbringing, we as a society always admire people who can do things so much better than the average Joe), I could willing to see the other side of the coin.

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    He met his first wife, Melanie Rockall, when he was 21. They married in 1979, but five years later they parted when she discovered he was having an affair with his manager's secretary, Gill Bennett. His divorce from Rockall came before his championship successes, and her settlement was relatively small.
    He married Bennett in 1986, and the couple had three children: Natalie, Matthew and Georgia. They split up in 1995 after Faldo began a relationship with 20-year-old American golfing student Brenna Cepelak.
    Their three-year affair ended when he met Valerie Bercher. The spurned Miss Cepelak famously battered Faldo's Porsche 959 with a golf club, causing £10,000 damage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Faldo

Sir Nick Faldo does not need to earn or lose my respect for his extramarital affairs. The only yardstick for me is his professionalism as the lead golf analyst for PGA tour broadcasts. Yes he can cut it because of his relevant PGA achievements and experience, and clear insightful analysis. Thats the only thing that should be of relevance .
    In the same token, I asked myself did Tiger fleeced us ala Jimmy Swaggart. No! On the other hand I will take umbrage if my pastor or minister 'does not walk the talk'. If Tiger does not 'walk the talk' on the golf course then rightfully I have cause for he has sold me a 'bill of goods'. That is viz. did he cheat to win the majors and PGA victories?

So guys, I don't have the right or entitlement to know about his marital difficulties or his extramarital affairs.

Thats why I will try not to be sanctiMOANious or pontificate about his morals or extracircular activities of the course.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 12-06-2009 at 07:35 AM.

As far as I'm concerned he's already apologized and he's already given as much of an explanation as he's going to give. He's a rotten egg who happens to be the best golfer of all time. Sums it up.

As far as I'm concerned he's already apologized and he's already given as much of an explanation as he's going to give. He's a rotten egg who happens to be the best golfer of all time. Sums it up.

That, I can agree with.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I got sent this in an email this morning. I have a feeling Tiger will not be able to sweep this under the carpet for some time to come.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Hmm, that sounds quite familiar, I wonder who's been saying that for a few years now...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfinteg View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Faldo

Sir Nick Faldo does not need to earn or lose my respect for his extramarital affairs. The only yardstick for me is his professionalism as the lead golf analyst for PGA tour broadcasts. Yes he can cut it because of his relevant PGA achievements and experience, and clear insightful analysis. Thats the only thing that should be of relevance .
    In the same token, I asked myself did Tiger fleeced us ala Jimmy Swaggart. No! On the other hand I will take umbrage if my pastor or minister 'does not walk the talk'. If Tiger does not 'walk the talk' on the golf course then rightfully I have cause for he has sold me a 'bill of goods'. That is viz. did he cheat to win the majors and PGA victories?

So guys, I don't have the right or entitlement to know about his marital difficulties or his extramarital affairs.

Thats why I will try not to be sanctiMOANious or pontificate about his morals or extracircular activities of the course.
    For some reason the reaction to Faldo's extramarital affairs were not nearly as harsh as what we have seen with Tiger. In Faldo's case it was the equivalent of 'nudge-nudge-wink-wink, well done Nick, hahahaha, ehwhatwhat, knowwhatimean, ehwhat?'

Amazingly, since that time Nick has gone from an unapproachable, untalkative, mechanical superstar to the affable 007 of golf commentary.

People evolve, usually for the better if they have any sort of intelligence and backbone. Here's hoping Tiger can do the same.

I do wonder why though Tiger is being held to a different standard. Yes he's a bigger celebrity, but both are private matters. And last I checked, Tiger didn't kill anyone, or anything, dogs or otherwise.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Just wondering how do you feel about Sir Nick? Or Monty, for excessive speeding, something that is far more dangerous to human life, be it his own or to others? Or to Michael Richards, who you have as your avatar?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    The guy has everything, perhaps he wants another adventure in life..Things are getting routine at home. I feel for the girl though...She has done everything to be a good wife or at least that how it's shown.

People do make mistakes in life big or small and this is just one hugh mistake Tiger made. Whatever the outcome , he can't go back to it so I hope the best for him and his family...for the sakes of the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Just wondering how do you feel about Sir Nick? Or Monty, for excessive speeding, something that is far more dangerous to human life, be it his own or to others? Or to Michael Richards, who you have as your avatar?
    My avatar is Kramer, get a sense of humour. Do you think I have that as a tribute to Michael Richards?

Are you seriously wondering why Tiger is held to a different standard????

My avatar is Kramer, get a sense of humour. Do you think I have that as a tribute to Michael Richards?

Now, now, 3Jack brings up an interesting point. So what you are saying is it's ok to still be accepting of someone, even for the mistakes they made, because you can seperate their on screen and off screen personas from each other??? How is that any different from on course Tiger and off course Tiger? I'm sure the Tiger on the golf course (competitive, focused) is much different from the Tiger off the golf course. Me smells just a bit of hypocrisy....not much, just a bit. Just a thought as I sit here enjoying a bowl of Mini-Wheats.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I tried to stay out of the discussion as well until a few of these comments came LOL

I figure I'm in this deep now, there's no turning back.

Many people swore they'd never watch Seinfeld reruns again after what Richards did in his standup routine a few years back, I guess that is my point.

I still watch Seinfeld regularly and enjoy Richard's performances regardless of the racial slurs he used during a routine of his a few years back.

So I think there is a bit of a double standard at play here, one that I think exists more due to the immediacy of what is going on with Tiger. The Richards thing was big news for a few days. Tiger's problems will be big news for a few weeks, but in the end will also fade to the background, and we will once again appreciate what he does on the course without really caring about what he does off of it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Here is what some of you tiger fans think:
    http://www.tigergivesmewood.com/
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    8 Woman now.
    I guess even Tiger can get a snowman.
    http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...next-stop.aspx

Thread Information