CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TM r7 irons

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

TM r7 irons

Has anyone hit these yet? When I was in GT this morning for the demo sale went and browsed the iron wall. I have to say, Mizuno has come out with some sharp looking clubs for next season. But back to the r7s. Just went to the website to check specs and it seems the irons are about 3-4* stronger than most sets (30* 7 iron). Not sure about you guys but I would love the mental edge that would give you over a FC. He hits a 7 iron and you pull out a 9. Head games all day long But they cost a pretty penny, both models over $1100+ tax.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    OK, that's taking vanity lofts too far. All they've done is moved the numbers down one club across the whole set. 3 iron at 19*?? That's a 2 iron, no wonder people can't hit 3 and 4 irons anymore, they're not 3 and 4 irons. PW at 44*? That's 12* of loft between that and a standard sand wedge! Ridiculous.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Here's the link for the r7 XDs. The specs are the same for the CGB Max set.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/global...s&prodID=r7_XD
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    OK, that's taking vanity lofts too far. All they've done is moved the numbers down one club across the whole set. 3 iron at 19*?? That's a 2 iron, no wonder people can't hit 3 and 4 irons anymore, they're not 3 and 4 irons. PW at 44*? That's 12* of loft between that and a standard sand wedge! Ridiculous.
    I agree. That's how gap wedges and hybrids came about.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There's a lot of discussion on the lofts, or lack thereof, of the R7 irons.

You've got give the marketing guys at TM credit though. They know exactly what the golfing demographic wants, i.e. hit the ball far. Don't underestimate the power of selling to the ego of the average golfer.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    You've got give the marketing guys at TM credit though.
    Sure, you sell an $1100 iron set that immediately gets two irons pulled for hybrids, sell another $500 for the 2 Rescue Duals and then throw another $150 on a 48* Rac wedge. Hope they spring for new gap, sand and lob Rac wedges as well (another $150/club). All of sudden your $1100 iron set doubles to $2200.

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

R7 irons

I looked at the specs too and yes they are vanity irons but in my opinion they do look good. Would'nt mind giving those a try on the course. I love my Apex's but man do those TM look great. And like you said mind game all day long with those LOL
    Thanks
    Claude

Birdie JWWRMA is on a distinguished road
    I just got back from Florida and TM R7's were the rental clubs at a very nice, challenging course (Mystic Dunes, Orlando). I liked the R7 460 driver a lot. I did not like the irons. In 80 degree (30C) weather it felt like somewhat like hitting rocks compered to my Hogan FTX. On the other hand, they were fine for accuracy. Perhaps a club shorter than my Hogans.

I'm considering the driver but not the irons.

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar
    how you know you dragged up a 2yr old thread

5 Iron breaks80 is on a distinguished road breaks80's Avatar
    Picked up a set of TM XDs recently on ebay and have nothing but good things to say about these clubs. Long, straight with a high trajectory which bites the greens big time.
    Don't care that they're lofted on the strong side(if fact I like it). Found them soft as butter when hit correctly. Was playing adams A1 Pros(which were goods clubs as well), but TMs are better in my opinion. Price has come way down on these guys as well.
    Breaks 80 - if there's no wind, down hill par 5's, dry fairways, Jupiter aligns with Mars, ....

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    It is getting out of hand when it comes to iron lofts, but in defense of the clubmakers it's not all for distance and bragging rights...

The new cavity back iron designs put so much weight low and away from the club face that they strengthen the lofts to bring the ball flight down a tad. Otherwise a 27* 5 iron with this type of clubhead design would fly more like an 8 iron. Imagine what a 48* PW would be like? It would balloon and get knocked down in the wind...and consumers would complain.

The average golfer probably doesn't hit these clubs farther due to the loft, but more likely due to the game improvement features and the forgiveness on off-centre hits.

It's easy to get caught up in degrees of loft and worry that at this rate you'll need 2 gap wedges...probably be a better idea to look at yardage gaps and the type of ballflight you are seeing and forget what the degrees of loft are.

Thread Information