Quote Originally Posted by golfin-buddy View Post

I agree with you on the some good some poor. Just like in any business. Reason why the Average player has not dropped many shots is the amount of people that have joined this great game in the last 10 years. Remember that before video analysis and research, teaching was based on what the eye could see. Since the TIGER BOOM if you will, there has been almost triple the amount of players world wide. I can guarantee that the amount of people actually taking lessons is probably less then 5%. If this is the case then of course the average hasn't dropped. with triple the people I think that the average considering the amount of players has dropped. We just don't see it because of the massive change in the number of players in the world.MY 2 cents anyway.
I forget the source (National Golf Foundation??) but I have read that the number of golfers taking up the game in the United States, is equal to the number who are leaving it. However, while I don't believe that the number of golfers has tripled since Tiger's appearance, his presence has certainly increased participation in certain areas.

Your comment, "Remember that before video analysis and research, teaching was based on what the eye could see," is bang on, and is still the basis of most teaching. Jim Maclean's "X" and "Y" factor concepts are classic examples of the bogus motions we all must perform to play better. Also, it was perceived that because of Jack Nicklaus' huge leg drive, that this was his source of power, versus the compensatory move he had to make to prevent a pull hook.

If you look at a hundred good golf swings, they are "all the same" give or take a few millimetres. Straight left arm, folded right, shoulder turn, weight shift and so on. So why are there a hundred theories about how to swing the club? Eliminating the false perceptions of what to do and replace them with what needs to be done, would make learning a good golf swing so much simpler. And, one does not NEED to be CPGA, CGTF or whatever to do this. One just needs a mind that is open enough to challenge everything that is taught, and to seek out a simpler approach for the sake of the keen students.

Awhile back I taped an episode of Tina Mickelson doing a short game show on TGC. Playing it back I counted 37 different swing thoughts expressed. Just what the average golfer needs.