OttawaGolf - Fantasy Golf 2022
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    6 Iron zer0ish is on a distinguished road zer0ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    80

    Emerald Links no show

    Not sure if anyone else has had this happen. But this is a first for me.
    Emerald Links charged me for a no show when 3 out of 4 people showed up on a rainy day, that most people wouldn't bother playing. I can't say I'm going to book there again since I can't control what other people decide from day to day, hour to hour. They should have been happy they got 3 of the 4 show up on a rainy day. There wasn't even a beverage cart going around either which irritated us even more.

    Is this common from Emerald now? I even told them the 4th cancelled due to 70% chance of rain(which ended up being 100% since it rained).

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,225
    I know they charge for no shows and you can cancel up to 24hrs I believe but the rain thing is a bit of a grey area. Do they have a written policy somewhere? When we book we make everyone aware of the cancellation policy and that they are on the hook for that if they bail.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  3. #3
    Champion cleek is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    -
    Posts
    983
    the person who did not show up should help you out with that expense IMO
    the course should have been happy with the 3 green fees they had show up

  4. #4
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    hollywood
    Posts
    5,644
    That sucks. I get it that courses cant afford to lose any tee time spots but in this case, thats nonsense.

  5. #5
    3 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Riverside South
    Posts
    110
    They are very greedy now, just wait they will suffer later. All Gib Patterson courses are the same, they need your credit card number and if no show they get paid.
    scrollerpete

  6. #6
    Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    653
    I think 24 hours isnít fair but Iíd also say it pisses me off when people book and donít bother showing up, denying someone who wants to play an opportunity to get on the course. Even if itís pouring rain Iíll call to cancel my booking. The other thing I see at private clubs is guys blocking the team which again isnít fair. But I do agree with one of the comments above; golf is going to take a hit going forward. Some of these courses will be ghost towns.

  7. #7
    6 Iron zer0ish is on a distinguished road zer0ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I think 24 hours isnít fair but Iíd also say it pisses me off when people book and donít bother showing up, denying someone who wants to play an opportunity to get on the course. Even if itís pouring rain Iíll call to cancel my booking. The other thing I see at private clubs is guys blocking the team which again isnít fair. But I do agree with one of the comments above; golf is going to take a hit going forward. Some of these courses will be ghost towns.
    For yesterday, Emerald was a ghost town from 4:40 onwards for tee times. When the rain started at 5:45 people scattered back to their cars. They should have been happy to get 3 out of 4 show up. We played the 18 finishing in the dark and the gates were closed with no marshal doing a check to see if anyone was left on the course. I know people book 4 only to go as a twosome, but that isn't the case for us. In any case they offered a rain check for the spot, but I'd rather just have my money back. But after that raincheck round, I'm pretty much done with that course. Pace of play is getting way to slow with marshal not pushing the slow groups.

  8. #8
    6 Iron zer0ish is on a distinguished road zer0ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    80
    On another note, they closed the gate, didn't send a marshal out to check the course was empty of golfers. They all just left. What if one of use broke an ankle on our way back in. They have a responsibility to make sure golfers are safe, and that when the course if closed, there are no golfers left on the course. I'll take the blame for staying out late, but they didn't do their job as a business. It's like closing a Walmart with all the staff leaving and there is still a shopper in the fitting room. I've just never seen this before from them and I've golfed until dusk many times after work at Emerald. They've always sent a marshal to clear people off the course when it gets too dark.

  9. #9
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home-and glad to be
    Posts
    3,810
    YEP----the world has changed big time in the last two years. I'm paying full pop but not at any of the courses that are doing this.

    It's a dog eat dog world , and I don't really care if the courses are hurting-----we all are. You would think that common sense would prevail.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

  10. #10
    Shagging Balls Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ottawa & Merritt Island, Fl
    Posts
    429
    Tough call. I have a small business and it galls when people make an appointment and fail to show and don't have the courtesy to give me a heads up. Still, we smile and say it's no big deal cuz we need the sale

  11. #11
    5 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    177
    I am not so sure it is a tough call at all. In fairness Emerald Links makes it very clear on the registration the cancellation policy. I may or may not agree with it, but if I want to reserve at EL - that is the price of admission. I will also say that EL - more than most - are quite willing to give the rain check - even mid round.

    They may need to change the policy some time in the future but that is the policy today - and it is clearly spelled out. I am not so I sure why folks are so up in arms about it. Track the weather and make your call - in or out - at the 24 hours mark. But donít hold the course accountable because you guessed wrong, just take the rain check and try again.

    My two cents Ö.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,225
    I had a look on their booking site and didnít see anything stating this. Where is it?

    Lots of info on COVID on their confirmation email but nothing on cancellation
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  13. #13
    Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Golf Course
    Posts
    1,322
    EMERALD LINKS Booking Policy

    New this year, all reservations whether online, in person, or over the phone will require a valid credit card to reserve your tee time. To book we strongly recommend that you use our online booking system. No fee will be charged at the time of booking. However, if you choose to pay in advance you will receive a 5% benefit on tee times.

    Tee times can be reserved up to 5 days for general public and up to 7 days for members. Cancellations or changes in reservation can be made online up to 24 hours in advance. Cancellations of changes made within 2 to 24 hours must be made by calling the Proshop. A rain check for future rounds will be provided.

    Cancellations of less than 2 hours notice, no show, or short shows will not receive any credits and will be charged the full green fee for any missing player. This includes, if you book for four players and only show up with one, two, or three players, you will be charged the full fee for all no-shows.

    The person making the booking is responsible for all members of the group. Please note that when booking as a twosome of threesome, you will likely be paired up with another group or individual. If you wish to play by yourself, you will be required to pay for all unused tee times.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I had a look on their booking site and didnít see anything stating this. Where is it?

    Lots of info on COVID on their confirmation email but nothing on cancellation

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,225
    Where is that found?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  15. #15
    Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Golf Course
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Where is that found?
    Go to Emerald Links website hit golf tab and scroll down page

    https://www.emeraldlinks.com/golf

  16. #16
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,225
    Thanks, I just go right to book a tee time. It should also be in their confirmation email but itís not.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  17. #17
    Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    3,518
    Maybe it is just me, but this would just be another reason why I refuse to play Patterson courses.

  18. #18
    Grand Slam em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Barrhaven
    Posts
    1,185
    Seems normal to me. Golf is rain or shine and most courses need/would like advanced notice if you decide the cancel. If I was a no show, I would feel bad...but I would accept payment. Not sure why people think it is ok to not call the course and let them know.

  19. #19
    Shagging Balls Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ottawa & Merritt Island, Fl
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Seems normal to me. Golf is rain or shine and most courses need/would like advanced notice if you decide the cancel. If I was a no show, I would feel bad...but I would accept payment. Not sure why people think it is ok to not call the course and let them know.
    Agree and I have had to dig into my pocket when a partner did not show.

  20. #20
    6 Iron zer0ish is on a distinguished road zer0ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonreg View Post
    I am not so sure it is a tough call at all. In fairness Emerald Links makes it very clear on the registration the cancellation policy. I may or may not agree with it, but if I want to reserve at EL - that is the price of admission. I will also say that EL - more than most - are quite willing to give the rain check - even mid round.

    They may need to change the policy some time in the future but that is the policy today - and it is clearly spelled out. I am not so I sure why folks are so up in arms about it. Track the weather and make your call - in or out - at the 24 hours mark. But donít hold the course accountable because you guessed wrong, just take the rain check and try again.

    My two cents Ö.
    Can't cancel 24 hours when you book in the morning with no chance of rain, then when you get there it's 70% and then starts raining 45 minute into the round.

  21. #21
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,225
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0ish View Post
    Can't cancel 24 hours when you book in the morning with no chance of rain, then when you get there it's 70% and then starts raining 45 minute into the round.
    you can cancel up to 2 hours ahead by calling the pro shop.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  22. #22
    6 Iron zer0ish is on a distinguished road zer0ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Seems normal to me. Golf is rain or shine and most courses need/would like advanced notice if you decide the cancel. If I was a no show, I would feel bad...but I would accept payment. Not sure why people think it is ok to not call the course and let them know.
    I usually do call, but since we booked same day,not much we can do. Weather took a turn for the worst, and 1 out the 4 doesn't play in the rain due to his arthritis. His joints hurt when it rains from being a meat cutter working in a fridge all day. I get many people book 4 only to be 2 so they don't get paired with others. But we booked 4, 3 showed. They should have some sort of history of people who cancel spots frequently and have a red list and bill those people. But this is a first for me. So giving a pass and a warning would have been better. Now I'm never booking there again. So they lost a regular 4some that buys beers and food from the cart often.

  23. #23
    6 Iron zer0ish is on a distinguished road zer0ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    you can cancel up to 2 hours ahead by calling the pro shop.
    Didn't know it was going to rain or he would cancel. I let them know when I arrived 45 minutes early. I found out when I was practicing chipping.

  24. #24
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,225
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0ish View Post
    Didn't know it was going to rain or he would cancel. I let them know when I arrived 45 minutes early. I found out when I was practicing chipping.
    I'm not sure what to say. There are weather apps on phones with radar and the are pretty accurate the day of. You got a raincheck round which a lot of courses wouldn't give you. If your friend is that susceptible to rain, then he should be looking at the forecast. I get you aren't happy, but if it were me that cancelled, I would gladly be offering to pay you for the round.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  25. #25
    6 Iron zer0ish is on a distinguished road zer0ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I'm not sure what to say. There are weather apps on phones with radar and the are pretty accurate the day of. You got a raincheck round which a lot of courses wouldn't give you. If your friend is that susceptible to rain, then he should be looking at the forecast. I get you aren't happy, but if it were me that cancelled, I would gladly be offering to pay you for the round.
    I checked the weather network most of the day. Morning when I booked, in the afternoon, and just before leaving, and the weather looked great, it didn't change until I started driving to the course. With an open tee sheet from 4:40 onwards it's like like we took a spot from someone else, let's be real here. All I'm saying is that I've been playing EL for 4 year and this is the first time this happens. It's over now. I won't be booking there again. You can quote policy all you want but they can also have given a pass as they have in the past considering the situation.

  26. #26
    In the Zone Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    681
    If you golf and the weather is a factor for you, don't book sites where they will charge you for no show if not cancel. Can't blame the weather or the course. The policy is clear to me and I do check a them when I book online using some of the booking websites. If you don't like those courses, don't play there. Simple.

  27. #27
    Nationwide Player 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    772
    You get a rain check. - The policy is clear (it sucks but it's there which is in par with other courses. Smuggler is 48hr on weekends). You should go after the no-show buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by zer0ish View Post
    Can't cancel 24 hours when you book in the morning with no chance of rain, then when you get there it's 70% and then starts raining 45 minute into the round.
    Last edited by 314314; 06-20-2022 at 10:50 AM.

  28. #28
    Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kanata
    Posts
    3,364
    Bloody weather , how inconsiderate of it
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

  29. #29
    Grand Slam em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Barrhaven
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2 View Post
    Agree and I have had to dig into my pocket when a partner did not show.
    Sorry, but I am not understanding the last part....Your friend does not feel remotely responsible for not calling in a cancelation and he expects you to pay? The fault is not with Emerald Links...

  30. #30
    Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    aylmer
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0ish View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has had this happen. But this is a first for me.
    Emerald Links charged me for a no show when 3 out of 4 people showed up on a rainy day, that most people wouldn't bother playing. I can't say I'm going to book there again since I can't control what other people decide from day to day, hour to hour. They should have been happy they got 3 of the 4 show up on a rainy day. There wasn't even a beverage cart going around either which irritated us even more.

    Is this common from Emerald now? I even told them the 4th cancelled due to 70% chance of rain(which ended up being 100% since it rained).
    do you know who the person is that was a no show? Did he inform you he was not going if not he should reimburse you for sure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Emerald Links?
    By tmacgolf in forum Local Stuff
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 06:51 AM
  2. Emerald Links, Anderson Links or The Meadows
    By keithd in forum Local Stuff
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 10:53 PM
  3. emerald links or anderson links
    By jeffc in forum Local Stuff
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
  4. Emerald Links
    By Moose in forum Local Stuff
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 03:42 PM
  5. Fall Specials at Emerald Links & Cloverdale Links
    By Kilroy in forum Local Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2001, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts