OttawaGolf - Fantasy Golf 2022
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 49
  1. #1
    Sand Wedge White Light is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Gatineau
    Posts
    24

    Transborder golfers

    Yesterday at our club, Le Sorcier, half of the cars in the parking lot had Ontario plates. It seems that a lot of Ontarians have not understood the message yet. There are restrictions in effect. The border is closed between Quebec and Ontario. For a good reason. Today there are 3,732 new cases on Covid19 in Ontario vs 798 in Quebec. Even taking into account the difference in population (14.5 m in Ontario and 8.5 in Quebec) the virus is way more prevalent in Ontario. One has to look at global numbers since golfers come from everywhere. Please Ontarians, stay home or at least on your side of the border. This is not a game of not getting caught. People die every day. Even if you are vaccinated you can still carry the virus. Coming here could make you responsible for one or more deaths. Think about it!

  2. #2
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    hollywood
    Posts
    5,667
    Sad to read this as we all need to work together in order to get this under control where we can all get back to some normality. Does anyone know if the courses have any authority to turn back golfers from outside of Quebec? A few weeks ago at Tecumseh, they asked us for our drivers licence in order to prove that we where from Gatineau. Dont think other courses are doing this.

  3. #3
    Pitching Wedge tortoise is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    43
    Keep in mind that the MAJORITY of Ontario's cases are in the GTA and that Ottawa and Gatineau have typically had similar case rates. In fact, the Outaouais currently has more active cases per 100k than Ottawa.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the neighbourhood
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by White Light View Post
    Yesterday at our club, Le Sorcier, half of the cars in the parking lot had Ontario plates. It seems that a lot of Ontarians have not understood the message yet. There are restrictions in effect. The border is closed between Quebec and Ontario. For a good reason. Today there are 3,732 new cases on Covid19 in Ontario vs 798 in Quebec. Even taking into account the difference in population (14.5 m in Ontario and 8.5 in Quebec) the virus is way more prevalent in Ontario. One has to look at global numbers since golfers come from everywhere. Please Ontarians, stay home or at least on your side of the border. This is not a game of not getting caught. People die every day. Even if you are vaccinated you can still carry the virus. Coming here could make you responsible for one or more deaths. Think about it!
    I'm not sure why you would feel golf is safe for you, but not for people in the same region who live on a different side of a river? Are there police checks to ensure no one is crossing to the 'wrong' side of the Gatineau river? Or the Lievre, or the Blanche?

    If golf is unsafe, it should be closed for you as well. If it is safe, it does not matter which side of a mutually shared river people are from.

  5. #5
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    hollywood
    Posts
    5,667
    What we are hearing here is that our health care system can not handle more cases. Thats the only reason for now. i play golf with a ICU nurse in Hull and she tells me that its really bad right now so this is the main reason we cant afford to have more cases. I know that its pretty much the same all over.

  6. #6
    Sand Wedge White Light is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Gatineau
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I'm not sure why you would feel golf is safe for you, but not for people in the same region who live on a different side of a river? Are there police checks to ensure no one is crossing to the 'wrong' side of the Gatineau river? Or the Lievre, or the Blanche?

    If golf is unsafe, it should be closed for you as well. If it is safe, it does not matter which side of a mutually shared river people are from.
    It is not a matter of weather it is safe for us or not. The border is closed for a reason. Stay home. Ontario has way more cases by far. Donít focus on local cases only. Golfers come from everywhere.

  7. #7
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Posts
    16,797
    Quote Originally Posted by White Light View Post
    It is not a matter of weather it is safe for us or not. The border is closed for a reason. Stay home. Ontario has way more cases by far. Donít focus on local cases only. Golfers come from everywhere.
    I would highly doubt someone is coming from the GTA to play at Sorcier. If they are, they are the most die hard golfers I have ever heard of.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,246
    Quote Originally Posted by White Light View Post
    It is not a matter of weather it is safe for us or not. The border is closed for a reason. Stay home. Ontario has way more cases by far. Don’t focus on local cases only. Golfers come from everywhere.
    I did a count earlier, of the 3400 cases in Ontario today, ~2600 were from the GTA. That means 800 were from the rest of the province.

    If you think that golfers are driving from the GTA to Le Sorcier, I have some swampland to sell you.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  9. #9
    Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
    Keep in mind that the MAJORITY of Ontario's cases are in the GTA and that Ottawa and Gatineau have typically had similar case rates. In fact, the Outaouais currently has more active cases per 100k than Ottawa.
    Agreed with the above. Also so much as I disagree with the rules I donít think we can pick and choose which to follow and which to dismiss. I hate it but if the rule right now states we canít go over for non essential reasons than we shouldnít go. This wonít help accelerate the opening process at all and in fact may result in an extension of the order. In any event, just my two cents.

  10. #10
    Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Cattown, PQ
    Posts
    3,007
    In the summer of 2020 (when Quebec cases were higher than Ontario) I am very glad I was able to play at my home course in Ontario, even though I live in Quebec. (at the time we had zero cases in my municipality)

    If the rules allow an Ontario resident to visit their secondary home in Quebec, and those same rules allow you to golf in Quebec, it is possible that all those Ontario-plated vehicles in the Sorcier's parking lot are in compliance with the current rules.
    Andrew

  11. #11
    Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gatineau
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by White Light View Post
    It is not a matter of weather it is safe for us or not. The border is closed for a reason. Stay home. Ontario has way more cases by far. Don’t focus on local cases only. Golfers come from everywhere.
    Agree, samething with Montebello yesterday, more Ontario plates than Quebec's, heard some guy coming from Pickering Ontario, This fight against Covid needs everyone to contribute even Golf Course Owners.

    Perhaps the closure of golf courses in Outaouais is the solution.
    Last edited by Kak; 05-03-2021 at 04:44 PM.

  12. #12
    Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gatineau
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    What we are hearing here is that our health care system can not handle more cases. Thats the only reason for now. i play golf with a ICU nurse in Hull and she tells me that its really bad right now so this is the main reason we cant afford to have more cases. I know that its pretty much the same all over.
    Well said Marcos, terrible situation in our hospitals right now and our Health workers.

  13. #13
    Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OTT
    Posts
    351
    Ok so we know that crossing the border to golf is considered non-essential. Are the cops actually enforcing it? It doesn't seem to be the case based on what I'm seeing on this subject.
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

  14. #14
    Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gatineau
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzyboy View Post
    Ok so we know that crossing the border to golf is considered non-essential. Are the cops actually enforcing it? It doesn't seem to be the case based on what I'm seeing on this subject.
    No they aren't. Obviously, some people only obey rules when enforced by cops.

  15. #15
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home-and glad to be
    Posts
    3,811
    Following up on what Mark said. Think about this fact---you have all seen the news from India. There are 3400 people per day dying--that equates to 1,240,000 deaths per year. India's population is 1,300,000,000 people. At this current rate of death if nothing was done it would take over 1000 years for the population to die !!!!!!!!!!! Either I have done a gross miscalculation here OR if I am correct NOBODY seems to be able to grasp the enormity of this situation. Just think---all the doctors and nurses are working full tilt for 1000 years----do we want to leave this to future generations ?????? Please guys ---check my math---this is astonishing if my math is anywhere near correct
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

  16. #16
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the neighbourhood
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Kak View Post
    No they aren't. Obviously, some people only obey rules when enforced by cops.
    Not sure what you mean. Gatineau and MRC police are definitely turning around people who are engaging in non-essential travel at bridge crossings, and also at random checks on the 5 (Chelsea and Wakefield exits near popular Gatineau Park trailheads).

  17. #17
    Gap Wedge CrowdPleaser is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nepean
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by White Light View Post
    It is not a matter of weather it is safe for us or not. The border is closed for a reason. Stay home. Ontario has way more cases by far. Donít focus on local cases only. Golfers come from everywhere.
    Try and explain that to members of Royal Ottawa and Rivermead. I donít know any but with the annual fees they are paying, and with upcoming Golf Quebec events, I would assume they that they are still coming over. I know I would be thinking about it if I was in there shoes.

  18. #18
    In the Zone Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    681
    I dont think the police has stopped doing the checkpoints at the bridges. Probably more like random spot checks.
    They just turn people around . Even if you are caught, there is no consequences.

  19. #19
    Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gatineau
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Gatineau and MRC police are definitely turning around people who are engaging in non-essential travel at bridge crossings, and also at random checks on the 5 (Chelsea and Wakefield exits near popular Gatineau Park trailheads).
    Just read the first post.

  20. #20
    In the Zone Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    681
    It doesn't make sense when they promoted ActiveTO to get people to go outdoor but there is a stay-at-home order. Looks at the crowds at some of the farmer's market in TO!

  21. #21
    Shagging Balls paulfourputt is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Riverside South
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by White Light View Post
    Yesterday at our club, Le Sorcier, half of the cars in the parking lot had Ontario plates. It seems that a lot of Ontarians have not understood the message yet. There are restrictions in effect. The border is closed between Quebec and Ontario. For a good reason. Today there are 3,732 new cases on Covid19 in Ontario vs 798 in Quebec. Even taking into account the difference in population (14.5 m in Ontario and 8.5 in Quebec) the virus is way more prevalent in Ontario. One has to look at global numbers since golfers come from everywhere. Please Ontarians, stay home or at least on your side of the border. This is not a game of not getting caught. People die every day. Even if you are vaccinated you can still carry the virus. Coming here could make you responsible for one or more deaths. Think about it!
    I guess we really arenít all in this together.

  22. #22
    Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    174
    How about that Mike Weir guy.

    Remember him?

    First time winner anywhere since 2007...

  23. #23
    In the Zone Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    681
    The birth rate is ~1% in India or 10millions are born a year . Not saying that the covid-19 death is insignificant

  24. #24
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home-and glad to be
    Posts
    3,811
    I hear you but when you actually stop and think about the numbers---it is staggering. Imagine a pile of money 1,000,000 dollars in 1.00 bills . Now imagine 1.3 billion---just does not compute.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

  25. #25
    Shotmaker 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    671
    Wow, I thought that east coasters were the only ones participating in covid shaming. Be grateful that the Quebec government uses common sense and that golf is doing well in the province.

  26. #26
    Lob Wedge The Enigma is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    11
    bridges run in two directions...
    I haven't noticed a drop in Quebec license plates on the Ontario side...
    Pot-Kettle???

  27. #27
    Shotmaker 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    671
    A large number of plates in Orleans are from Quebec and I'm not talking about pick up trucks.

  28. #28
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Posts
    16,797
    Probably upset that Ontarioans are taking the prime tee times. But not much was said when people from Gatineau were travelling into Ottawa to enjoy indoor dining.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

  29. #29
    Pitching Wedge tortoise is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    43
    One of the most frustrating things about this pandemic is that we have been regulated as two different cities instead of the National Capital region.

    Closing the border between Ottawa and Gatineau makes about as much sense as closing the border between Burlington and Oakville.

  30. #30
    Nationwide Player 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    774
    I guess if I go for "work" for a week to Montreal, I should be able to play up there...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Where all all the golfers?
    By runner in forum Local Stuff
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 09:05 PM
  2. Hello golfers
    By SecondChance in forum Introductions and Greets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 10:33 PM
  3. Three golfers to appear on 'CSI'
    By Kilroy in forum Tour Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 11:16 AM
  4. Where are all the golfers?
    By justsomeguy in forum General Golf Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 10:16 AM
  5. Hey Golfers
    By ADAbsolutNDN in forum Introductions and Greets
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts