The Bunker www.GolfBunker.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    600

    NHL - Post Lock-Out

    How to make the fans come back?

    Have Bettman (or the home team owner if Bettman is elsewhere) play goal in the shootouts - without pads.

  2. #2
    5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Keys
    Posts
    193
    I think both sides are equally to blame for what happened and the only losers were the fans (which neither side cared about). I also think the only way to prove a point is if nobody were to go to games or watch on tv, but people won't do it.

  3. #3
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kirkland Lake (Ontario)
    Posts
    1,493
    Just to let you know... of the 15000 season tickets that the habs sell every year only 8 have been cancelled...

    Would love to see Bettman in net....
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

  4. #4
    I'm a regular Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kanata
    Posts
    1,247
    I think the best way to prove a point to the the players and NHL is to avoid buying NHL merchandise for the rest of this season. I can never stop watching hockey on tv but I would buy very few tickets for games even before the lockout. I think some fans will stop going to the games after this for sure.

  5. #5
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skins City
    Posts
    5,571
    I was watching P.T.I. and Tony said they should have a lockout every year. Start the season in January, play 50 games, then playoffs.

    I agree with him.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

  6. #6
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,163
    Are the true losers not the bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, ushers, etc. whose income was reduced or evaporated during the lockout? The fans have not lost a dime, the players and owners, who make millions, really have really lost very little, if anything, so it's only the little guy, as usual, who has hurt by what happened.

  7. #7
    Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Are the true losers not the bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, ushers, etc. whose income was reduced or evaporated during the lockout? The fans have not lost a dime, the players and owners, who make millions, really have really lost very little, if anything, so it's only the little guy, as usual, who has hurt by what happened.
    great post- any fan that feels they've lost something as a great deal of entitlement, not cool.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,238
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    great post- any fan that feels they've lost something as a great deal of entitlement, not cool.
    Fans (short for of fanatic) have a lot invested emotionally in there teams. Some fans live and die with their teams fate. While it may not be financial investment it is emotional. Yes, many others have more of a financial investment and it these guys that are hurt from that perspective.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  9. #9
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skins City
    Posts
    5,571
    You only get out of something what you put into it

  10. #10
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I think both sides are equally to blame for what happened ...
    I agree, to a certain extent - so how about the NHLPA head share goal-keeping duties?

    I feel for the in-arena staff and local bars and restaurants. Even some of the players, who I think were held somewhat hostage by the NHLPA, but the biggest blame has to be with the owners.

    Was the biggest issue not related to length and generousity of contracts? And, who granted the players those contracts? Was it not the owners who now want out of the terms they cannot afford (or at least the terms they want everyone else to think they cannot afford)?

    It there is an issue with pay, the owners should just have refused to sign long expensive contracts - make the players come to the table with lower expectations.

  11. #11
    Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Fans (short for of fanatic) have a lot invested emotionally in there teams. Some fans live and die with their teams fate. While it may not be financial investment it is emotional. Yes, many others have more of a financial investment and it these guys that are hurt from that perspective.
    come look at my bedroom and tell me how much of a fanatic I am, dude have you seen any of the post on tsn and hfboards, you would of thought it was the end of the world.... I can understand a young kid being disapointed, but grown adults, please....

  12. #12
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kirkland Lake (Ontario)
    Posts
    1,493
    I agree with you 100%.... stupid lock-out so the owner can protect themselves against their own stupidity!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    I agree, to a certain extent - so how about the NHLPA head share goal-keeping duties?

    I feel for the in-arena staff and local bars and restaurants. Even some of the players, who I think were held somewhat hostage by the NHLPA, but the biggest blame has to be with the owners.

    Was the biggest issue not related to length and generousity of contracts? And, who granted the players those contracts? Was it not the owners who now want out of the terms they cannot afford (or at least the terms they want everyone else to think they cannot afford)?

    It there is an issue with pay, the owners should just have refused to sign long expensive contracts - make the players come to the table with lower expectations.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

  13. #13
    Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cobden
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    I agree with you 100%.... stupid lock-out so the owner can protect themselves against their own stupidity!!!
    Problem is, owners can't pass on signing a great player, because if they do, their competition will sign that player... and they all can't get together and say "how 'bout we all agree not to grant any player a contract over X dollars or X years", because if they do, it's called collusion and is illegal, however if it is agreeed upon in a collective bargaining agreement with the players, it is legal...

    And really, every player is overpaid...grossly... Sure they are the elite of their profession and they are (mostly) great entertainers, but when the AVERAGE player makes more per year than the President of the USA, PM of Canada, PM of Britain, President of France and the Chancellor of Germany COMBINED (if you combine their salaries, it roughly equates to about $1.9M ish) something has got to give. Unfortunately, that something is us, the fans, who will pay more at the ticket box, or in the store or wherever.
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    In the 613!
    Posts
    8,238
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    come look at my bedroom and tell me how much of a fanatic I am, dude have you seen any of the post on tsn and hfboards, you would of thought it was the end of the world.... I can understand a young kid being disapointed, but grown adults, please....
    well, for some it's more than just a hobbie. A lot of fans in every sport invest a lot emotionally into their teams. Yes some take it too far but that is where the passion comes from. When these fans are at the games, etc. it makes for a great event. If you've ever been to an NFL, College Football, European Soccer game it gets taken to the extreme all the time.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

  15. #15
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kirkland Lake (Ontario)
    Posts
    1,493
    Yes, but Corey, you have a salary cap to keep the competitive balance. That should be it... but no the owner start cheating by giving 12 years deal knowing that they would only play for 8 year and somehow they don't get penalized.... that has nothing to do with the players and in the contract between the NHL and NHLPA....

    Contracts have to be approved by the league.... If Bettman had any balls he should had said NO to Minnesota, Vancouver, Philly, etc... You have to restructure your contract or it will not be approved....
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

  16. #16
    Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cobden
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Yes, but Corey, you have a salary cap to keep the competitive balance. That should be it... but no the owner start cheating by giving 12 years deal knowing that they would only play for 8 year and somehow they don't get penalized.... that has nothing to do with the players and in the contract between the NHL and NHLPA....

    Contracts have to be approved by the league.... If Bettman had any balls he should had said NO to Minnesota, Vancouver, Philly, etc... You have to restructure your contract or it will not be approved....
    You're 100% correct, which is one of the main reasons for the lockout, the owners knew the problem existed, and it was "the hill they would die on" and had to be fixed, which by preliminary observation, seems to have been accomplished.
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

  17. #17
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    ottawa
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Are the true losers not the bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, ushers, etc. whose income was reduced or evaporated during the lockout? The fans have not lost a dime, the players and owners, who make millions, really have really lost very little, if anything, so it's only the little guy, as usual, who has hurt by what happened.
    Why does everyone continue to say the owners make millions!!! The fact is, none of these owners became rich BECAUSE they own an NHL team. They are thrilled if they can just break even. For some reason a lot of fans seem to think the owners are supposed to run a hockey team just for our enjoyment which is ridiculous!!!

  18. #18
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kirkland Lake (Ontario)
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Why does everyone continue to say the owners make millions!!! The fact is, none of these owners became rich BECAUSE they own an NHL team. They are thrilled if they can just break even. For some reason a lot of fans seem to think the owners run a hockey team just for THEIR enjoyment!!!
    Fix it for you.... They sit in the luxury box.... eat caviar, drink wine.... and cheer for their teams....Some will show up on the field after the game and hug their players....Ask Mark Cuban why he owns the Maverick!
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

  19. #19
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    ottawa
    Posts
    1,937
    I don't understand your point... What's wrong with owners trying to make some money?


    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Fix it for you.... They sit in the luxury box.... eat caviar, drink wine.... and cheer for their teams....Some will show up on the field after the game and hug their players....Ask Mark Cuban why he owns the Maverick!

  20. #20
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Fix it for you.... They sit in the luxury box.... eat caviar, drink wine.... and cheer for their teams....Some will show up on the field after the game and hug their players....Ask Mark Cuban why he owns the Maverick!
    and write off the losses on their taxes. I'm not sure they care whether they break even or not. If they did, they wouldn't buy a sports franchise. At most, they are interested in capital appreciation rather than operating profits. At least, that is my opinion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Volkswagen MK4 Wheel Lock Set
    By calleygolf in forum Other Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM
  2. Toyota Wheel Lock Kit
    By man-of-kanata in forum Other Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM
  3. bag boy clip lock
    By doglezard in forum Other Golf Ads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM
  4. Lock'er up
    By Turd Ferguson in forum Right Hand Drivers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
  5. Burton cart bag w/lock for sale
    By slats111 in forum Other Golf Ads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts