CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    I just posted a comment in the E6 computer build thread that I thought I'd relay here for those people that are hung up on the hardware being accurate to within a half degree:

The software aspect is something else I think people need to take into account when they complain that +/- 1 degree is too much variation in the hardware. The exact same specs fed into two different software packages (GSA or E6) will produce different ball flights depending on the algorythms used by the software developers. Who is to say which one is more accurate...or even if either of them are? People need to be realistic and keep some perspective...all of this is SIMULATED and spot-on accurate depictions of what the ball would do in real life are pipe dreams. The simulators and software can be VERY close, but you can never know for sure what the ball would have done exactly in the real world.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Couldn't agree any more with you rdh.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    The software aspect is something else I think people need to take into account when they complain that +/- 1 degree is too much variation in the hardware. The exact same specs fed into two different software packages (GSA or E6) will produce different ball flights depending on the algorythms used by the software developers. Who is to say which one is more accurate...or even if either of them are? People need to be realistic and keep some perspective...all of this is SIMULATED and spot-on accurate depictions of what the ball would do in real life are pipe dreams. The simulators and software can be VERY close, but you can never know for sure what the ball would have done exactly in the real world.
    I don't have a problem with +/- 1 deg but there are launch programs out there that when given the same club and ball data, a certain amount of sidespin should have been produced, resulting in a particular ball flight. I'm not looking to simulate real life golf, I do plenty of that outside, but I do want my simulator to simulate the ball flight as well as possible with estimated spin. I compare it to launch programs and what I see outside. An understainding of the golf swing is needed obviously.

Myself and bubba22(a single digit handicap) agrees that the E6 appears to be too forgiving. The P3pro was also too forgiving. It's great that GSA and Protee allows the user to make adjustments to spin and other parameters so that we can tweak the ball flight.

Pitching Wedge steb is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    I just posted a comment in the E6 computer build thread that I thought I'd relay here for those people that are hung up on the hardware being accurate to within a half degree:

Sure, humidity, eddy currents and all other simulated or ignored effects also will cause deviation from the real world.

But errors add and each component error must be minimized as much as it cost-effectively or possibly can.

It's a bit like those who say a 5 yard inaccuracy in their golf GPS is no big deal because they have a 10 yard inaccuracy when they swing anyway. Well now they've got 15. I can't imagine too many golfers being happy knowing their accuracy has just suffered another 5 yard loss. A different method of measuring, say laser rangefinders, might only make their accuracy suffer by 1 yard but of course lose some advantages inherent in GPSs. That's the choice.

The GC2 I commented on its 1 degree directional accuracy, has other advantages (e.g. portability) that make this a worthwhile sacrifice, especially outside where you can see your ball flight anyway. But for the 'perfect simulator', which is what the thread was about, it's not there for me.

Thread Information