The Bunker www.GolfBunker.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Shaft Cutting

  1. #1
    3 Wood Snowman10 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orleans
    Posts
    201

    Shaft Cutting

    I just got my first Scotty! But it's 35 inches and a bit too long for me. I usually play a 33

    Would I be committing a sin by cutting it down? How much would I be hurting possible resale value in case I dont end up liking it?

  2. #2
    Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kanata, On
    Posts
    1,717
    I wouldn't worry too much about hurting it other than you are changing the swing weight of the head of the club. If it's a studio select you can buy weights and change them out or use the normal means (lead tape, etc.). You can always send it back to the spa for some TLC if you are too worried about it if you want to sell it.

  3. #3
    8 Iron Kyle_B is on a distinguished road Kyle_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    19th Tee
    Posts
    68
    If it's only 2 inches too long, you can most likely cut the bottom of the shaft. They usually have a few inches of parallel shaft (make sure you do research before hand so your heads will fit back on). If not, then cutting the end where the shaft goes will be fine. I have cut and extended many shafts and not had any issues. Well that's a lie, I have snapped extensions a few times but you don't have to worry about that.

  4. #4
    3 Wood Snowman10 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orleans
    Posts
    201
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

    I'm definitely going to be having a pro do it

  5. #5
    2 Iron smiths_falls is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ottawa
    Posts
    123
    congrats on the scotty!

  6. #6
    3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_B View Post
    If it's only 2 inches too long, you can most likely cut the bottom of the shaft. They usually have a few inches of parallel shaft (make sure you do research before hand so your heads will fit back on). If not, then cutting the end where the shaft goes will be fine. I have cut and extended many shafts and not had any issues. Well that's a lie, I have snapped extensions a few times but you don't have to worry about that.
    @ Kyle_B Why would you pull the head to trim from the tip?

    After you get it shortened make sure you get fitted because likely you've changed the effective lie.
    [FONT=System][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

  7. #7
    8 Iron Kyle_B is on a distinguished road Kyle_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    19th Tee
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by stone_bone View Post
    @ Kyle_B Why would you pull the head to trim from the tip?

    After you get it shortened make sure you get fitted because likely you've changed the effective lie.
    Because I like doing things the hard way

    I think I was multi-tasking that the time. I didn't specify that you CAN do it that way if you want. Easier would be removing the grip, cutting the end off, putting the grip back on (or putting on a new grip). If you cut the shaft at all, it will change the way it responses for sure. If you're a beginner golfer, you won't notice the difference. If you're an avid golfer, I would suggest getting fitted for the proper shaft. To play it safe, take the grip off, cut the end, put the grip on. That will have the least amount of change on most shafts.

  8. #8
    Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stittsville
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_B View Post
    Because I like doing things the hard way

    I think I was multi-tasking that the time. I didn't specify that you CAN do it that way if you want. Easier would be removing the grip, cutting the end off, putting the grip back on (or putting on a new grip). If you cut the shaft at all, it will change the way it responses for sure. If you're a beginner golfer, you won't notice the difference. If you're an avid golfer, I would suggest getting fitted for the proper shaft. To play it safe, take the grip off, cut the end, put the grip on. That will have the least amount of change on most shafts.
    It's a putter, not a driver!! . There are no frequency readings to worry about, no major face impact issues, no spin rates or launch angle issues to deal with. Remove the grip, cut to required lenght, adjust the swingweight, put the grip back on and tweak the lie and loft ! Here is you your putter sir.

    Play it safe my a..., There is no playing it safe when it involves the short stick. Shortning a putter has a dramatic affect on the performance of the club. You either do it right or don't do it at all.

  9. #9
    Bill Wood
    Guest
    Ditto on above. Trim from Butt end.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Cutting my drivers shaft
    By Rego in forum Golf Clubs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 10:28 AM
  2. Cutting down my Irons..
    By Paulio in forum Club Making & Components
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 06:13 PM
  3. Cutting a shaft
    By Gropper in forum Club Making & Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 12:03 PM
  4. Cutting driver shaft
    By Keith in forum Club Making & Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 05:18 PM
  5. cutting a Graphite Shaft?
    By dbleber in forum Club Making & Components
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts