CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Good manners and proper rules ?

Some courses are so small that you risk to shoot the wrong green. This is what happened and lead to a question about the rules.
    I had misjudged the course on the 1st hole at Canadian and sent my wedge shot on the green (looks like a practice green) left of the true green.
    Having been brought up with goold golf manners, I picked up my ball and dropped it outside of the putting surface without seeking any advantage. I played another wedge shot (and... missed the other green). But that is not the point.
    The question that was raised was wether I should have played the ball "as it lied" even through this would have damaged the green.... and whether I should add a stroke penalty for dropping the ball. My reading was that it was not out of bounds... and that there was no reason to damage to damage the green as long as the principles of "fair golfing" were to remain intact.
    PS... the sailing rule book is much simpler, must be lesser number of sailing lawyers around.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You are right
    In fact you MUST take free relief.

25-3 Wrong Putting Green

a. Interference
    Interference by a wrong putting green occurs when a ball is on the wrong putting green.
    Interference to a player’s stance or the area of his intended swing is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.
    b. Relief
    If a player has interference by a wrong putting green, the player must take relief, without penalty as follows:
    The nearest point of relief shall be determined which is not in a hazard or on a putting green. The player shall lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief, on a part of the course which avoids interference (as defined) by the wrong putting green and is not in a hazard or on a putting green. The ball may be cleaned when so lifted.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE:
    Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    BTW - A wrong putting green includes a practice green or pitching green on the course.

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Question Target - Wrong green.

You are not the only one who that green on the first hole of the Canadaian (EAST) has fooled on their approach shot. It happened to my playing partner this year. He played it exactly the same as you.

If I remember (and that was 25 years ago) that was the green for the origional course when it was only 9 holes. It seemed alot longer to reach back in those days!
    For what purpose it still has is to my amazement. It is situated in a pretty dangerous location for a putting or chipping green. Maybe when it is not busy the pro takes learners out there for practise. Who knows.

However if it tempted you and my friend to shoot at it, imagine how many others have fallen prey to its lure if they have never played that hole before.

I hope that shot did not cost you money.. I bet you will never forget it! :blush

Stever

Thread Information