100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Golfing in Sunglasses

Personally, I don't do it. I find when I do, I lose depth perception. I notice most Tour players, no matter which tour we're talking about, don't wear them either. Some between shots, but I don't often see them on for shots or putting.

I don't know if depth perception is their reasoning as well?

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    I just try and play without them to avoid racoon eyes! But I always end up wearing them throughout the round except for reading putts! I find brand and lens quality plays a big role!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I spend a lot of time outdoors (golfing, skiing, yard work) and consume a fair amount of beer. Two leading risk factors - beside genes (Both parents had them) - for catarac development - which I was diagnosed with last fall. I'm still waiting for surgery now at least scheduled for late June. My left eye is pretty much blind and my right is seeing at 70%. This makes for a real challenge to see any ball in flight after a hit so practice is quite difficult but now I am also finding my depth perception a problem as well. I am finding it difficult to get the club to hit the ground at the same spot.

All this to say WEAR YOUR SUNGLASSES! You vision is too important not to.

And I'm only? 48
    Last edited by stevek; 05-03-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

I wouldn't mind playing with sunglasses to be honest. I wear them the rest of the time when outside in the sun. The problem is, I can't find a pair that don't give me a hard time with depth perception. I know Oakley used to have a golf series. Maybe I will do some research and try to see if they are still available.

On that note....Does anyone have any recommendations on glasses suitable for golf that you have had good luck with?

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    2 things:

1. I play in sunglasses all the time now. Ever since I got prescription sunglasses, it has been awesome! My eyes aren't terrible by any stretch, but maybe just the improved vision negates any precieved lack of depth perception (plus I hit the ball really far :-P) I am also aware of the other benefits of wearing sunglasses when out in the sun for extended periods of time.

2. contrary to popular belief, polarized lenses are actually very bad for golf. They are made to reduce glare but they also make it harder to see the contrast in colours and contours of the ground.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I always wear my sunglasses, it took a while to find a pair that did not cloud the greens contours, I finally settled on the UVEX lenses from Costco, great interchangeable lenses and very comfy.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I wear my polarized Oakleys pretty much whenever I'm outside if it's anywhere close to being a bright day. Otherwise I find that I end up squinting a lot.

Having said that, I only wear them between shots on the golf course. But it's more of a mental thing for me... not depth perception. I don't like seeing the frame in my field of view. Although, I've begun practicing with them on and I'm considering giving playing shots on the course with them on again too.

My polarized Oakleys don't distort my depth perception at all. If anything, they might actually help!
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    It took a while for me to get comfortable playing with my sunglasses but I now wear them all the time. I have Oakleys with transition lenses. (The lenses get darker when the sun is brighter.) The only trouble I have with the sunglasses is that they get soiled from the sweat and the sunscreen.
    He who hits last, walks alone

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    I *always* wear sunglasses while playing. The key it seems is finding something that doesn't obstruct your peripheral vision or cause a distraction. There are several models of Oakley that fit the bill for me personally, but YMMV.

Never really understood the whole depth perception thing either, it really hasn't come into play for me. Even with polarized lenses which are apparently the worst offender for this.

I'm thinking in order to not obstruct your peripheral vision, you'd have to buy the wrap-around style glasses that they make for cycling. M-Frames would probably work well.

I have always owned polarized Oakleys, but I found it very difficult to judge undulations etc on the greens. That's kind of what I mean as far as depth perception goes. I will probably look into some without polarized lenses and see how that goes.

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    I'm older and bifocals are required. So for golf I had some RayBans made with 85% for distance (fwys & greens) and 15% reading (sky caddie). Wear every game .... Even when overcast.

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    I have spent a good part of my life outdoors, many of the early years without sunglasses. Don't risk it! Cataracts are a real PITA I'm only in my early 50's and I keep loosing the ball in flight, relying on my mates to spot the damn ball! lol. Most good quality sunglasses will give excellent UV protection but don't have to be polarized to do so. I tried some Oakleys with G30 lens, excellent product but the price scared me away, I've heard Sundogs are great at a fraction of the price, anybody tried them?

Need a Caddy solstrum is on a distinguished road
    I wear my sunglasses at night.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Not an option for me -- what what most people think is a nice bright sunny day practically blinds me. Like many others I have Oakley's with polarized removable lenses. I have 3 different coloured lenses depending on the conditions.

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    Do the Oakley's help with contrast to see the ball against a bright sky? I tried on a pair at a golf shop inside the shop and outside, but couldn't tell if it would help during play on a bright day. A lot of talk seems to be based on the color of the lenses making a big difference, yellow / brown being a popular choice? I've ordered a pair of Callaway sunnies, after reading a load of good reviews, I hope they work, at least they were reasonably priced.

Thread Information