The Bunker www.GolfBunker.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    22,281

    Stroke Streak Stopped

    Tiger Woods' streak of victories in stroke-play events, which dated back to July, ended Sunday when Yong-Eun Yang won the $5 million HSBC Champions in the biggest upset of the year. The unheralded Korean drained everything in sight in the middle of his round and held on for a 69, while Woods charged his way to a 67 that left him in second place for the second straight year.
    More...

  2. #2
    "Richard"
    Guest
    are you posting these news clips to get to 5000 posts faster??

  3. #3
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    22,281
    I just thought people would be interested in some posts about GOLF for a change

  4. #4
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Posts
    4,215
    Tiger finishes 2nd again. The sad thing is that along with his earnings and his appearance fee he will likely make 3 or 4 X what the winner made. Something about that just isn't right in my books.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Posts
    5,113
    It is especially not right when the number one golfer on the PGA Tour took a pass on the year end championship to rest up for his cash-dash to China.

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Tiger finishes 2nd again. The sad thing is that along with his earnings and his appearance fee he will likely make 3 or 4 X what the winner made. Something about that just isn't right in my books.

  6. #6
    "Richard"
    Guest
    how can you guys blame him? Yes tiger has close to 300-400 million dollars but lets say his ap. fee is 2-3 mil, and lets say he thinks he has a better chance of willing the 1m top prize thats almost 4 mil for willing one tourney and 3 for not... thats a lot of money for anyone. I don't see how he can turn that kind of cash down. Its funny because tiger has single handedly toubled/trippled pga purses, brought awareness to his sport, got the pga an awesome TV deal... let him do what he wants... even if it is $$$ that runs that gready ***s life

  7. #7
    Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,477
    Tiger is in a SLUMP....you heard it here first!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Posts
    5,113
    If the top players on the tour all took Tiger's approach, there would be no tour to speak of. He has a responsibility to the tour and to its sponsors. Admittedly, there may be a lot of factors that we know nothing about, but this kind of pursuit of self-interest is what distinguishes Tiger from the great Arnold Palmer. Arnie knew that it wasn't only about how much money he could grab.

    Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    how can you guys blame him? Yes tiger has close to 300-400 million dollars but lets say his ap. fee is 2-3 mil, and lets say he thinks he has a better chance of willing the 1m top prize thats almost 4 mil for willing one tourney and 3 for not... thats a lot of money for anyone. I don't see how he can turn that kind of cash down. Its funny because tiger has single handedly toubled/trippled pga purses, brought awareness to his sport, got the pga an awesome TV deal... let him do what he wants... even if it is $$$ that runs that gready ***s life

  9. #9
    "Richard"
    Guest
    I see what you are saying but I just think that he has done more than his fair share for the game. From what I understand, ryder cup players don't get paid but he still plays there so money doesn't completely run his life but if someone makes you an offer you can refuse... you can blame him for that and truthfully, its not like he skipped a major which for reasons I can't explain would be unforgivable. I'm sure even a 5mil fee wouldn't make him skip it.

    Maybe this is a good thing, the NFL, NBA are becoming global leagues, I'm sure tiger isn't playing in china to grow the game but he is doing it. THe game of golf is probably benifiting from him playing in china instead of the states. I personally would like to see the big 5 play more international events but how do they choose which ones? What better way than to pick based on who will pay you more, its as good as any other way of deciding

  10. #10
    Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    495
    TGC reporters will say his streak is still alive because this was not a PGA Tour event.

  11. #11
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ottawa (Orleans)
    Posts
    10,028
    WOW, some pretty strong statements here!

    I'm not sure that most of them are purely emotional or tiger hater bating... In my opinion:

    1. He doesn't owe the PGA and its' sponsors a thing
    2. Nothing wrong with missing the PGA Chamoionship (the richest get richer)
    3. Maybe contractually he had no choice but to attend the HSBC tournament

    I believe any player that did play in the PGA Championship would have missed it for the appearence fee that Tiger got.

    Its a BUSSINESS today folks, like hockey no longer just a game. It would appear that Tiger is a very smart businessman.

    In my opinion, the fact that Ames registered and took the $104K lat place money knowing he couldn't play was worse than what Tiger did.... at least Tiger showed up and played for his few million. Ames made a long distance phone call What about Phil, is he any less 'guilty' because he didn't want to play due to family reasons? Maybe they are both sending a message to the PGA?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

  12. #12
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    22,281
    Quote Originally Posted by rgk5 View Post
    TGC reporters will say his streak is still alive because this was not a PGA Tour event.
    That's funny, because the story I posted announcing the end of the streak came from the PGA!

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Posts
    5,113
    Now that is an interesting statement! I wonder what Tim Finchem (of whom I am not a fan - let's be clear about that), the rest of the tour players and, most importantly, the sponsors would say? You're right, though, that so long as the analysis is confined to the individual level, he owes nothing to anyone. And, it is equally true that Tiger has had the effect of raising Tour purses. However, my instincts tell me that the PGA Tour has nearly milked sponsors dry without particular regard for their needs and concerns - witness the way the RCGA was treated. On this psychological level, once sponsors come to the conclusion that they are being "screwed" by a group (this includes, most notably, Tiger and Finchem) who care nothing about them, then this econcomic house of cards will crumble. At that point, it will really be every man for himself. No doubt Tiger will make out fine (cats always land on their feet), but the Tour as we know it will be a distant memory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    WOW, some pretty strong statements here!

    I'm not sure that most of them are purely emotional or tiger hater bating... In my opinion:

    1. He doesn't owe the PGA and its' sponsors a thing

  14. #14
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ottawa (Orleans)
    Posts
    10,028
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    On this psychological level, once sponsors come to the conclusion that they are being "screwed" by a group (this includes, most notably, Tiger and Finchem) who care nothing about them, then this econcomic house of cards will crumble. At that point, it will really be every man for himself. No doubt Tiger will make out fine (cats always land on their feet), but the Tour as we know it will be a distant memory.
    Mike, I look at it this way. If the PGA Tour is dependant on Tiger Woods (one man) for the survival of their 'business' and to keep the sponsors revenue pouring in, then they are already in trouble. It speaks of a very watered down product.

    Maybe Tiger and The Shark will get together and start their own tour! (Two very smart businessmen)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

  15. #15
    BigFlopper
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Tiger finishes 2nd again. The sad thing is that along with his earnings and his appearance fee he will likely make 3 or 4 X what the winner made. Something about that just isn't right in my books.
    But on the otherhand, if it wasn't for Tiger being there, the winner would probably be getting 3-4 X less that what he did get.

  16. #16
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFlopper View Post
    But on the otherhand, if it wasn't for Tiger being there, the winner would probably be getting 3-4 X less that what he did get.
    Maybe, maybe not.

    But I would bet you on this one. The people in the galleries had to pay more money to watch the tournament because Woods was there. Is that fair?

    Not IMO. There was plenty of quality golfers in that event besides Woods. Goosen, Campbell, Donald, Harrington, Casey, Monty, Furyk, the list goes on and on. It was a Euorpean Event, so there was plenty of big name talent there. The sponsors need to recoup that appearance money and they do that off the ticket sales.

    A couple of years ago Woods made an appearance at a tourament in New Zealand, where Super Caddie Williams lives. He did it to help promote golf there. Meanwhile he collected a hefty appearance fee which drove up the price of admission to the point that some people could not afford to go watch the event. Some pro's protested that event by not playing. So does his demands for appearance fees hurt or help events?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

  17. #17
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ottawa (Orleans)
    Posts
    10,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Some pro's protested that event by not playing. So does his demands for appearance fees hurt or help events?
    Rick, in fairness the tournament organizers had the option to say NO, not a penny will be given to you in appearence fees. You said it yourself, there were plenty of GREAT golfers at there yet they still paid Tiger big money to appear. If they are willing to pay, then don't blame Tiger for taking the easy money. I am sure that he did not approach them and say hey, you have a tournament coming up and if you give me 3 million in appearence fees, I will attend. I have a felling it was the other way around, they approached him with the offer.

    Tiger is doing what is good for tiger and his future. I don't have a problem with that.

    I don't hear anyone complaining about the greedy hockey players who have driven the cost of tickets well beyond the reach of many avid hockey fans.

    Some people just don't like Tiger and will blame him for every move he makes.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

  18. #18
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Rick, in fairness the tournament organizers had the option to say NO, not a penny will be given to you in appearence fees. You said it yourself, there were plenty of GREAT golfers at there yet they still paid Tiger big money to appear. If they are willing to pay, then don't blame Tiger for taking the easy money. I am sure that he did not approach them and say hey, you have a tournament coming up and if you give me 3 million in appearence fees, I will attend. I have a felling it was the other way around, they approached him with the offer.

    Tiger is doing what is good for tiger and his future. I don't have a problem with that.

    I don't hear anyone complaining about the greedy hockey players who have driven the cost of tickets well beyond the reach of many avid hockey fans.

    Some people just don't like Tiger and will blame him for every move he makes.
    I agree Bob. The tournament organizers did not have to offer Woods a dime. However they did, which in turn drives up the cost to the fans who want to see the rest of the field, along with Woods.

    You hit the nail on the head when you said Woods is doing what is good for Woods and his future. Do you honestly think he needs appearance fees with his bank account?

    As for hockey players, wait a minute. Same scene as the golf tournament organizers. The "Greedy Owners" were the ones who agreed to multi million dollar contracts for the players. Do you think for one moment that anyone, you or I included would turn down more money if our bosses offered it to us? "No, that's alright Ford Motor Company, I do not want a raise this month. You keep that money"

    I agree the average fan can no longer afford to take his family to an NHL game. Imagine the costs of taking a family of 5 to watch the Sens? That is a shame when you think about it. I have been to one NHL game, so I am sure not supporting anyone in that league! OHL, different story. I attend a lot of JR B games too, but I get in those for free
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

  19. #19
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ottawa (Orleans)
    Posts
    10,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I agree Bob. The tournament organizers did not have to offer Woods a dime. However they did, which in turn drives up the cost to the fans who want to see the rest of the field, along with Woods.

    You hit the nail on the head when you said Woods is doing what is good for Woods and his future. Do you honestly think he needs appearance fees with his bank account?

    As for hockey players, wait a minute. Same scene as the golf tournament organizers. The "Greedy Owners" were the ones who agreed to multi million dollar contracts for the players. Do you think for one moment that anyone, you or I included would turn down more money if our bosses offered it to us? "No, that's alright Ford Motor Company, I do not want a raise this month. You keep that money"
    So then why is everyone blaming Tiger??? I think you hit the nail on the head as well... the Greedy NHL Owners as well as the Greedy PGA Execitive(s) and the Sponsors..... not Tiger or Phil or anyone else. The only one who Iin my opinion did anything wrong towards the PGA Championship is Stepen Ames.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Furyk poised to end winless streak
    By Kilroy in forum Tour Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 03:31 AM
  2. Ochoa tries to end winless streak
    By Kilroy in forum Tour Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Play stopped in British Masters tournament
    By Kilroy in forum Tour Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 09:20 PM
  4. Is Tiger's streak legit?
    By Kilroy in forum Tour Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 10:23 AM
  5. Stopped on a Dime... My Idol Is Dead
    By broken27 in forum Sports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 08:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts