CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cpga Pros

"Richard"

Cpga Pros

I was talking to one of the CPGA pros at golftown a few days ago and he told me he had played over 70 rounds already. I asked him where he was a member because to play 70 rounds it would make more sense to get two memberships and just play those two courses. He told me, no and that because he is a CPGA pro he plays for free at all the courses. How does this work? He also told me that when he became a CPGA pro all he had to do was shoot a 74 and a 75 on back to back days at some school, event or golf course or something (forgot what he said). Does anyone know about this? How does it exactly work? Do you have to teach? do you have to do anything else or can you just go pass the "test" and become a pro and play for free? That would be so sweet!!! Never having to pay for golf again. Details please.

I just shot a 77 a few days ago from the TIPS and think its something I might be able to do regularly in 5-6 years

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Google is your friend:

http://www.cpga.com/en/Membership/Be...er/default.htm

For the vast majority of golf pros, it's not really that easy. They actually spend most of their time on the golf courses working, i.e. giving lessons, running the pro shop, etc.

The GolfTown gig is a sweet one because they probably have fixed hours where they have to be in the store. Also don't underestimate the pressure of having to shoot a low score to qualify. If you don't shoot the score, you don't have a job.

"Richard"
    Oh, you can't just to and "qualify" and then continue working in your field? You actually have to get a job in the golf field? Thats not worth it at all

Just read that link... screw that!!! I make more in my own field and better of just paying for my own rounds but it would have been nice to play 100+ rounds a year for free!

2 Iron BOMBER is on a distinguished road
    I used to play golf with Peter Matilla who was on the Tear Drop Tour in the States. He used to work for Tommy and Levebre on Bank and he played for free at our course which was private. It was quite the treat to be able to get pointers from him and on occasion, give him a good run for his money.

"Richard"
    no clue who that is... jvincent will probably tell me to google him but like I've said 100's of times... Im pretty damn lazy!

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road
    Being a CPGA pro has it's ups and downs like any other job out there. We do get to play for free most of the time throughout Canada and the US. You can also make a pretty decent living if you are a good instructor....but there are some pretty long hours involved!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Not to mention the annual dues of around 1200 dollars...

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road
    The dues are about half of that!

Thread Information