100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Grips..Chief, other clubmakers?

So I have ;

- "midsize" Lamkin Crossline Cord grips on my MP-67's.

- A "midsize" DD2 on my Cobra Speed Pro driver.

- A Golf Pride Tour Velvet on my Callaway X-Tour wedge.

- Golf Pride Tour Velvets on my Vokey SM's.

- A stock Golf Pride for Cobra on my Cobra Speed Pro 3-wood.

- A Golf Pride Tour Velvet on my Taylor Made Rescue TP.

Here is my issue. I find the "Midsize" Lamkin Crossline Cords to be larger than the "Midsize" DD2 that I have on my driver. I also find the grip on the X-Tour that is standard with no markings to be slightly bigger than the ones on my SM's. Now comes the other grip. The one by Golf Pride on my Cobra Speed Pro fairway wood has some specifications on it, but it feels like it's undersized. It's considerably smaller than the "standard" one on my X-Tour and even smaller than the ones on my SM's.

The specs read .600R and 55D. I think the .600R is the inner diametre but I'm not positive. In any case, it's TOO SMALL!

I really like the size of the Tour Velvet on my new X-Tour wedge but I looked on the Callaway site and there is no information as to what the exact size it is.

My plan is to put the DD2's on my woods including my hybrid because I really like the feel of them, but I do not want them on my irons. I'd like to get Tour Velvet Cords for my irons but in the same size as the Tour Velvet that is on my X-Tour.

Question is....Is there some kind of device that will help me determine the size of the grip on that X-Tour? I'm familiar with lie guages etc, but I've never seen a grip guage. The other question is why is the same grip on two different clubs a different size? Both the shafts are the same in the X-Tour and Vokey wedges so the diametre should be the same if I'm not mistaken?

HELP!!!

I just noticed it says 'M580' on my Vokey SM grips if that adds to the information at all..

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Shafts come in different butt diameters, so even the same grip on two different shafts can be a different size.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GGBD

A golfworks grip kit comes with a paper version similar to the above.

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    Shafts come in different butt diameters, so even the same grip on two different shafts can be a different size.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GGBD

A golfworks grip kit comes with a paper version similar to the above.
    What about the same shaft in two different clubs? What about the numbers on the end of the grip? What do they mean?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There is a grip sizing gauge. Here's the URL to the Golfworks one.

http://golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MAGG

The M580 on your wedge grips stands for Men's 0.580" core diameter.

The new "standard" size for grips is a .580 grip on a .600 shaft, which leads to a slightly bigger size than if you put a .600 grip on.

The caveat here is that depending on what shaft you are talking about the butt diameter ranges from .580 to .610 so even if you get the same grips for all clubs you might get a different final size when installed on different shafts.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    There is a grip sizing gauge. Here's the URL to the Golfworks one.

http://golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MAGG

The M580 on your wedge grips stands for Men's 0.580" core diameter.

The new "standard" size for grips is a .580 grip on a .600 shaft, which leads to a slightly bigger size than if you put a .600 grip on.

The caveat here is that depending on what shaft you are talking about the butt diameter ranges from .580 to .610 so even if you get the same grips for all clubs you might get a different final size when installed on different shafts.

So the best solution for this is? I'm assuming the .600 is a smaller grip than the .580? Am I the only one who cares about my grip size being the same throughout all my clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    So the best solution for this is? I'm assuming the .600 is a smaller grip than the .580? Am I the only one who cares about my grip size being the same throughout all my clubs?
    Tape is the best solution.

It's not necessarily smaller, it's just designed to give a specific diameter when installed on a .600 shaft. If you installed a .580 grip on a .580 shaft it would give you the same size, within manufacturing tolerances.

Installing different size grips on different size shafts gives you slightly different final sizes.

You're not the only one that cares. The shaft on my driver has a different taper than my irons so I had to add some tape at the bottom to get the right feel.

Tape is the best solution.

It's not necessarily smaller, it's just designed to give a specific diameter when installed on a .600 shaft. If you installed a .580 grip on a .580 shaft it would give you the same size, within manufacturing tolerances.

Installing different size grips on different size shafts gives you slightly different final sizes.

You're not the only one that cares. The shaft on my driver has a different taper than my irons so I had to add some tape at the bottom to get the right feel.
    Hmm....So when given the choice between .580 and .600, which should I order if I want something slightly bigger but not as big as the Lamkin Midsize on my MP-67's?

This seems like it might be a longer project than I wanted to deal with.

I just checked out the Fujikura website and the True Temper site and it seems as though the butt diametre for both styles of shafts, more specifically, the ones in question are both .600.

The grip on the Golf Pride Tour Velvet says .580 on it, but the one on the Callaway says nothing. The .580 seems to be smaller and they are both on the same shaft.

However, the .600R on the Fujikura which is the same butt diametre as the Dynamic Gold in the Titleist is noticeably smaller than the .580 on the same butt size. Does that mean I should order .580 for a bit of a larger feel for my irons?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Hmm....So when given the choice between .580 and .600, which should I order if I want something slightly bigger but not as big as the Lamkin Midsize on my MP-67's?
    You want the .580s. It's actually getting harder to find .600 grips in as many models as the .580s.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Here is a chart.

* means grip must be stretched to 3/4" longer to reduce diameter
    X - not recommended
    Y - can not be acieved.

Chart assumes 2" masking tape 0.07" thick

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    Here is a chart.

* means grip must be stretched to 3/4" longer to reduce diameter
    X - not recommended
    Y - can not be acieved.

Chart assumes 2" masking tape 0.07" thick
    Awesome! That's very helpful.

I guess I'll have to get the masking tape going and see if I can match everything as close to each other as possible.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    All good comments. You could also use a vernier caliper.

Take a look at the following. That's from Golfsmith.

grip size

grip size 2
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    John. The same deal could happen if a clubmaker decided not to tip a driver. He would end up cutting more of the butt section therefore decreasing the taper especially if building a club in the 44ish.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

True. I also had to add tape for my hybrids since they use wood shafts and require a lot more than the usual butt trim.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I feel your pain Bill. When I got my G2 irons I loved the size of the Ping Grips. I had TV Mid Size on my wedges, they felt too big then. So I ripped em off and regripped with standard TV's. Hmmmmmmmm, they felt too small. So they were injected off and I added two layers of tape. Still felt weird compared to the Ping Grips. Ripped em off again, bought two new ones and went with two layers of masking tape and one layer of grip tape, Bingo, that was as close as I was getting them!
    My driver and fairway woods have standard grips, no extra wraps. New Decade Multi Compounds. I like that size on my woods as I feel it helps me square the club face up easier.

The things we go through to get our grips correct
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

So last night I went into the shop and ripped all my grips off except the Golf Pride DD2 that I have on my driver.

So I installed a DD2 on my Rescue TP and Speed Pro fairway wood with two extra wraps, so three total. That and the .580 grip on the .600 butt diametre shafts made for a good size for me. Just a bit bigger than standard, but not as large as midsize.

Then I started to pull off the grips on my irons, which to my surprise, already had an extra wrap on them. I know it probably didn't make much of a difference, but my Lamkin Crosslines sure felt bigger than my other midsize grips.

Anyway, I ended up putting 3 wraps on my irons, so 4 total.

I installed black and blue Golf Pride New Decade Multicompounds . They look pretty good on the Mizunos. Hopefully they work out on the course.

Thread Information