CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2007 Nhl Draft

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

2007 Nhl Draft

Sens selected Jim O'Brien from U. of Minnesota. He was the youngest player in NCAA this year. Scouts are split on whether he will eventually move from forward to defence. Good size kid. Jim didn't look exactly thrilled when interviewed on TSN along with Brian Murray. I have seen more excited people going for a "root canal"......... This kid is still a number of years away.

As expect Patrick Kane from London Knights went first overall. Scouts were not swayed away from his small size.

Biggest suprise and shocking was that Russian Alexi Cherepanov was taken by the New York Rangers as 17th pick.

He could come back and "haunt" many teams who passed on him because of his intended one year committment to his Russian team. Can not understand this when teams will select a kid who is tied up with University Hockey and not take a chance waiting a year for Alexi. Pierre Mcguire was going "crazy" on this.........
    Some teams used the excuse they were concerned with his work ethic.
    I remember a guy who had a terrible work ethic in his early years, and would show up at training camp not having done any preparation and still make everyone look sick.............His name was Mario Lemieux.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Same goes for Angelo Esposito... Can't believe so many teams passed him. Good for Mario to pick him up...

Quote Originally Posted by LBH View Post
    Same goes for Angelo Esposito... Can't believe so many teams passed him. Good for Mario to pick him up...
    Reminds me of another high scoring kid from the Quebec league many years ago ................Alexander Daigle !!! Perhaps the similarities also scared some teams away.............

Hopefully he has a better work ethic and attitude than Daigle did.
    I somehow don't think Mario and Crosby will let him dog it................
    Who knows the kid could come back to haunt Montreal "BIG TIME" !!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    The only thing Esposito and Daigle have in common is talent.

Esposito has been so watched for the last couple of years that we're in the knit-picking stage (is that how you spell knitpick?). He had a bad year and has learned from it.

I'd take a kid who has gone through that before some kid with one great year a season removed from Midget.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Hmmmmmmmmm, Ottawa Golf Forum and not one mention in this thread about Logan Couture who went 9th overall to San Jose (Man I am happy about this draft pick!)
    He played right there in Ottawa.
    San Jose traded up to get this kid and were happy to do so. Another solid scouting act from the Sharks!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm, Ottawa Golf Forum and not one mention in this thread about Logan Couture who went 9th overall to San Jose (Man I am happy about this draft pick!)
    He played right there in Ottawa.
    San Jose traded up to get this kid and were happy to do so. Another solid scouting act from the Sharks!
    Good pick for the Sharks. Sharks GM Doug Wilson a former Ottawa 67 is very close with Brian Kilrea.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...b-854fd6f76f2e

"Couture took a big slide in the rankings after International Scouting Services had him No. 1 among North American skaters in its year-end ranking in 2006.
    He was hampered during the preseason by a deep cut to a knee after getting stepped on by another player during tryouts for Canada's under-18 team last summer.
    Then, after a slow start to the OHL season, he was diagnosed with mononucleosis, which kept him out more than a month. After that he had another minor knee injury in February, so he never really got going, though he did have 26 goals and 52 assists in 54 games.
    What hurt him more than his injuries, though, was the consensus that his skating is not strong enough for the NHL."

Brian Kilrea's opinion was obviously taken over the Scouting Services. Brian has been around the business longer than most scouts and knows talent.

Hope the kid does well !!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Hi think SJ was the big winner of the first round. They came in with no picks and went home with Logan Couture and Nick Petrecki. Doug Wilson for me stole the show.

On the other hand Bob Gainey and Kevin Lowe were awful. It is time for some of these guys to retire. Awful draft for the Oilers with 3 first round draft pick. I like their first pick Gagner but then they drafted guys rank between 50 to 75. Alex Plante is big but his foot speed is not of NHL calibre for now. Can you say trip to the penalty box...

Who else do you think had a bad draft...

Thread Information