CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Monday Qualifier Drew is on a distinguished road
    Just to clarify a few points. I am a resident and voted yes for the levy. The average cost per residence is approximately $283.00 based on a 600,000 dollar home. Levy will be for 9 years and covers purchase, legal fees, and and start up fees etc. All info is available at Stonebridge community association web site for all to view.
    Course will be redesigned to a 6000, yard par 70 course. Mattamy has agreed to operate for 10 more years. The Stonebridge association working group has looked at the books and stated they believe that it is viable to continue operating as a golf course using a management firm to operate. Andy

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I don't think a 6000 yard par 70 course is what golfers want. They will go elsewhere. In a declining market that is a nail in a coffin. It may satisfy the homeowners (for now) but the course will never be what it once was. I assure you that 10 years from now, the course in that form will be making no money at all, will be in ratty condition due to lack of funds, and no longer be worth keeping open. What a shame. I loved that course.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I hadn't played Stonebridge for a few years until a tournament this summer.

At some point they actually took the black tees out of play. They are not listed on the scorecard, hole markers, or in the Golf Canada system.

The current blue tees are 6030 yards par 71. In order to get to 6000 yards with the last proposed changes they will need to bring back the black tee boxes.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Just to clarify a few points. I am a resident and voted yes for the levy. The average cost per residence is approximately $283.00 based on a 600,000 dollar home. Levy will be for 9 years and covers purchase, legal fees, and and start up fees etc. All info is available at Stonebridge community association web site for all to view.
    Course will be redesigned to a 6000, yard par 70 course. Mattamy has agreed to operate for 10 more years. The Stonebridge association working group has looked at the books and stated they believe that it is viable to continue operating as a golf course using a management firm to operate. Andy
    Thank you for sharing. I personally don’t agree with the viability of a 6,000 yard golf course but who knows what the landscape looks like in 10 years. I suppose there really wasn’t much choice if you are a current homeowner. IMO, the golf course landscape could look significantly different in 10 years but that’s just my best based on those I speak to and interact with

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Yes a lot can change in 10 years---at my age a shorter course might help my handicap The fact that the green space will be protected is a plus-----maybe a spot to remember old golfers can be designated to scatter ashes
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I don't think a 6000 yard par 70 course is what golfers want. They will go elsewhere. In a declining market that is a nail in a coffin. It may satisfy the homeowners (for now) but the course will never be what it once was. I assure you that 10 years from now, the course in that form will be making no money at all, will be in ratty condition due to lack of funds, and no longer be worth keeping open. What a shame. I loved that course.
    Agree a 100% with Kilroy. In the next few years there will be only guenuine golfers left on golf courses since there is almost no newcomers to the game . And real golfers don't wanna play short courses. If you wanna play short courses you can do it every given day , just play from the forward tees
    Chip

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Are you serious? It has been a 6030 yard par 71 course since forever, and you think making it a 6000 yard par 70 course is "a nail in a coffin"? Really?

The course has always been short - and has always been challenging in spite of that. I don't think 30 yards is going to change that. There are lots of par 70 courses around that golfers love playing - including the Kanata G&CC here in our region. Conditions have always been good, and there have been no indications that the course is not profitable - just not as profitable as it would be stuffing it with homes selling for half a million dollars plus.

I'm sure residents and golfers in Kanata Lakes would take this deal in a heartbeat - because I'm sure they don't like being in the position of crossing their fingers and hoping the City of Ottawa has their back. Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    The course has always been short - and has always been challenging in spite of that.
    IIRC it was 6400 yards from the black tees, par 71. It wasn't long, but I wouldn't have called it short either.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Are you serious? It has been a 6030 yard par 71 course since forever, and you think making it a 6000 yard par 70 course is "a nail in a coffin"? Really?

The course has always been short - and has always been challenging in spite of that. I don't think 30 yards is going to change that. There are lots of par 70 courses around that golfers love playing - including the Kanata G&CC here in our region. Conditions have always been good, and there have been no indications that the course is not profitable - just not as profitable as it would be stuffing it with homes selling for half a million dollars plus.

I'm sure residents and golfers in Kanata Lakes would take this deal in a heartbeat - because I'm sure they don't like being in the position of crossing their fingers and hoping the City of Ottawa has their back. Good luck with that!
    The problem with making it a par 70 6000 yard course it that it screws up so many holes. To play from the blacks there are going to be a lot of holes that you will be hitting a long iron or hybrid into, and into greens that weren't designed to handle that kind of shot as the majority of greens are elevated. Same with a number of the par 3's. So while the course might be 6000 yards, for the average golfer it will be a very difficult test.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think some people may equate yardage and difficulty, I think slope is a good measure rather than yardage.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I think some people may equate yardage and difficulty, I think slope is a good measure rather than yardage.
    It's not about difficulty, it's about making the golf course interesting/enjoyable.

If the redesign results in an "executive" length course where the holes are so short that you can't hit driver on the majority of them and/or all the par 3s are shot then it won't appeal to a lot golfers.

According to the last proposal that was published, they based the yardage off of the old black tee distances for the unchanged holes, which as I have pointed out have not been in play for at least one year.

So if the make the changes people will have to accept that several holes will play harder than before if they still want to play a 6000 yard course.

Just so everyone is clear, this is the last proposal that everyone voted on (see page 13):

https://www.stonebridgeca.com/wp-con...BUdYlsc7BHTphY

With the possible exception of the short par-3 9th hole located where the practice green is now, there is nothing on this scorecard that says "executive course" or "mickey mouse" to me. Clearly they are going to re-use the black tees to bump up the total yardage to over 6,000 yards - but if I'm hitting long irons or hybrids into a majority of the holes then I'm moving up a tee box.

Clearly they are going to re-use the black tees to bump up the total yardage to over 6,000 yards - but if I'm hitting long irons or hybrids into a majority of the holes then I'm moving up a tee box.
    It's not clear to me that will be what happens.

The only theory I have is that they reduced the yardage to 6030 to see what would happen to the number of rounds played.

Just so everyone is clear, this is the last proposal that everyone voted on (see page 13):

https://www.stonebridgeca.com/wp-con...BUdYlsc7BHTphY

With the possible exception of the short par-3 9th hole located where the practice green is now, there is nothing on this scorecard that says "executive course" or "mickey mouse" to me. Clearly they are going to re-use the black tees to bump up the total yardage to over 6,000 yards - but if I'm hitting long irons or hybrids into a majority of the holes then I'm moving up a tee box.
    Looking at the concept that shows two par 4’s over 400 yards (413 and 402) I don’t see many golfers hitting long irons into many of these greens let alone the majority. If the back tees are 6004, what are the middle tees? 5,600-5,700?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Looking at the concept that shows two par 4’s over 400 yards (413 and 402) I don’t see many golfers hitting long irons into many of these greens let alone the majority. If the back tees are 6004, what are the middle tees? 5,600-5,700?
    Just assume the blue tee yardage for all of the holes that aren't being changed and then adjust for the new/shortened holes.

Based on an old scorecard it would probably be closer to 5400 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Just assume the blue tee yardage for all of the holes that aren't being changed and then adjust for the new/shortened holes.

Based on an old scorecard it would probably be closer to 5400 yards.
    Wow, that’s crazy short!

Monday Qualifier Drew is on a distinguished road
    This proposal was not the one we voted on. Check out the Stonebridge Association web site for the Draft plan. It is a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    This proposal was not the one we voted on. Check out the Stonebridge Association web site for the Draft plan. It is a little different.
    Just took a look. The course is bumped up from 6004 to 6016 yards and all par fours are now under 400 yards.

I didn't notice on the new proposal that they are now suggesting a bunch of changes on the back nine as well.

The point still remains, it's only going to be over 6000 yards from the back tees.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I didn't notice on the new proposal that they are now suggesting a bunch of changes on the back nine as well.

The point still remains, it's only going to be over 6000 yards from the back tees.
    I think the new proposal is better actually. As long as the conditioning remains at the current level then I think it will be fine. It has always been a shorter course with tough greens, so that will still be the case. I think the biggest change will be that more golfers will play from the back tees.

FYI here is the scorecard for the Kanata Golf & Country Club:

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf...dscorecard.htm

It is a par 70 course that is 6036 yards from the white tees. I'm pretty sure they have no shortage of golfers playing from there.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I have been watching this ongoing craziness from Vancouver for many months now. I used to love to play Stonebridge, great course, but hated the mickey mouse hole locations.
    I really hope this works out and the layout is a playable/safe course. Sad really. Stonebridge was an amazing course a few years ago.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

I think the new proposal is better actually. As long as the conditioning remains at the current level then I think it will be fine. It has always been a shorter course with tough greens, so that will still be the case. I think the biggest change will be that more golfers will play from the back tees.

It is a par 70 course that is 6036 yards from the white tees. I'm pretty sure they have no shortage of golfers playing from there.
    Playing from the tips at SB at 6k yds would be a disaster for most golfers as too many holes (I count at least 7 holes that would require long irons or hybrids into them) and those greens are not designed to accept a shot like that. It really messes up the course layout. The new #9 should be interesting until someone shanks it into the clubhouse.

I'm sure that's true, but there's a certain amount of marketing that goes with the yardage. Not to mention ego.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Playing from the tips at SB at 6k yds would be a disaster for most golfers as too many holes (I count at least 7 holes that would require long irons or hybrids into them) and those greens are not designed to accept a shot like that. It really messes up the course layout. The new #9 should be interesting until someone shanks it into the clubhouse.
    I’m not a long ball hitter by any stretch but I don’t see this being the case at all. There isn’t a single par 4 over 395 yards. Unless you are hitting your driver, including carry, 200 yards and if that’s the case move up a set of tees. It was always a course who’s defence was in the green complexes. Most new sets of clubs allow players to launch the ball higher without losing any distance. I don’t like the course myself but I’m hoping it works for those who do as it’s such a great game I’d like to see as many play as possible. Hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I’m not a long ball hitter by any stretch but I don’t see this being the case at all. There isn’t a single par 4 over 395 yards. Unless you are hitting your driver, including carry, 200 yards and if that’s the case move up a set of tees. It was always a course who’s defence was in the green complexes. Most new sets of clubs allow players to launch the ball higher without losing any distance. I don’t like the course myself but I’m hoping it works for those who do as it’s such a great game I’d like to see as many play as possible. Hope it works.
    I guess I have played the course so much from the Blues that I know I would struggle on quite a few holes form the blacks, especially with certain pin positions and when the wind is up I would have zero chance of holding the greens. I guess we will see when all is said and done but I don't see it as an improvement at all.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I am quite pleased with distances on each hole as I think this will suit the majority of "regular" golfers. This is not an "executive layout". Too often, golfers play from the wrong tees and most golfers should not be playing from longer than 6,000 anyways. If Mattamy is able to continue maintaining this course at the same standard, then it will remain a great course to play. I am glad it is a course so close to my home and I am hoping this all works out.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree em69, a lot of golfers choose the wrong tees out of pride maybe but those same golfers may enjoy the game more if they did move up a bit.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    As i grow older, i have been putting my ego aside and playing proper tees. I have never been a long hitter and Stonebridge is a great example of a 'short' tough course. The greens and bunkers are what makes this course fun and challenging to play.

Agreed but I also see the point of other golfers who see this change in yardage making it less appealing to play
    Lefty Lucas

9 Iron bbotti is on a distinguished road
    Is there any date being shared on when the development/changes will begin? The file shared only indicates Jan-Feb 2020 rezoning application will go to planning committee for approval.

When will the shovels be in the ground?

Thread Information