Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
Yikes---If you believe that Costco only works on a 15% profit margin-----then it is time to wake up and smell the roses. There is no way they could ever stay in business at that rate. IMHO
I love roses.

They make their $ selling memberships. My neighbour is a buyer for them and it's a well known (or I guess not so well known in this case) fact.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe.../#2cbb56353d42

Great Speculations
Buys, holds, and hopes

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
Trefis TeamTrefis Team, Contributor
The largest warehouse club in the U.S., Costco, has seen its gross margins fluctuate around the 10.6% mark over the last four-five years. From 10.87% in 2010, the company’s gross margins fell to 10.59% in 2011 and 10.57% in 2012. In 2013, the margins recovered to 10.64% and they further increased to 10.77% in 2014. While the historical change in margins has been a little wayward, we expect margins to decline slowly going forward through to the end of our forecast period. We forecast a negative 0.02% change in Costco’s gross margins every year, which will take down the figure to 10.63% over the next five-six years.

While most supermarkets and department stores markup their goods by more than 25%, Costco keeps its markups low at 15%, that allows it to offer products at lower prices than its competitors.