Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
Karlsson is well above Mike Green both defensively and offensively. Mike Green was a total defensive liability. Karlson has his moments, and his size hinders him, but he is really effective with his stick. Offensively, Green played on a really potent powerplay, with Ovechkin (110 pts), Backstrom, (88 points) and Semin (78 points) playing along side him. Karlson has done it on a team with minimal skill, where his is responsible for creating most of the offense. I don't think the Green comparison works at all.

Will he get the Norris? I doubt they'll give it to him. But even if they don't, being the only d-man in the league that other teams have to match up against defensively is a hell of a complement.
Sorry, I meant his nomination can be compared to Green. In the sense that, even though he has the most points for a defenceman, he's not an elite d-man because his defensive abilities aren't in the same class as Chara or Weber and therefore he can't be considered the best overall d-man. (I think Weber wins IMO).

As an aside, what are people's thoughts on having a trophy for pts only? (ie an Art Ross for Dmen).