CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    What would you need to focus on that will help Ottawa win??? Why would anyone be worried about the playoffs...Does it effect your life that much that you guys worry about it?
    I guess it's been a while, so you can be forgiven for forgetting what it feels like to have a team in the playoffs.

All kidding aside, I don't see why people are discussing this rumour, for a number of reasons. 1 - it's a completely unrealistic trade..won't happen. 2 - People are discussing the trade as if Ottawa has already given up on their season and is in rebuilding mode. 3 - They may be discussing in on Hockey Night in Toronto, but that's only because their team is gone and they wouldn't dare imply that Ottawa might have a chance in the playoffs. Nope. They're already planning for next year. I guarantee nobody in the Ottawa organization is thinking about anything but the Penguins right now.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    what are some of your predictions for round 1?

If Ottawa Plays very physical they could take the will out of guys like Malkin, Hossa and the like. Crosby will play hard but Malkin can be broken as seen in the World JR. Gerber stands on his head and guys like Stillman, Vermette, Commador, Valchenkov and Phillips step up they could pull this out!
    I say Sens in 6 or 7 not just because im a Sens fan, but that they do have alot of playoff experiance.

I say Sens in five. I like how we match up at every level. Stillman and Vermette will step up in Alfie and Fisher's absence. Lee is going to be a big contributor at the defensive end and play some good physical hockey. Phillips' physicality will make up for the fact that Volchenkov thinks he's a goalie and will spend most of the series flopping on the ice while letting his man get wide open. Neil, Donovan, and Lapointe will be the key to this series. If they keep pounding on the forecheck, and manage to generate some turnovers, penalties, and scoring chances, Ottawa will run away with it. Also, the Fro will dominate the front of the net in the defensive end.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I say Sens in five. I like how we match up at every level. Stillman and Vermette will step up in Alfie and Fisher's absence. Lee is going to be a big contributor at the defensive end and play some good physical hockey. Phillips' physicality will make up for the fact that Volchenkov thinks he's a goalie and will spend most of the series flopping on the ice while letting his man get wide open. Neil, Donovan, and Lapointe will be the key to this series. If they keep pounding on the forecheck, and manage to generate some turnovers, penalties, and scoring chances, Ottawa will run away with it.
    I agree Jon...like I said they have to pound every player that has the puck! Can not try and get into a run and gun style with this team....if they do this then you will see the Sens pull this out!

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    unreal that PIT would throw that game just to play ottawa. That is how bad ottawa sucks, people are giving up the conf. championship to play them. People are giving up home ice if they end up playing MTL to play against ottawa. Hilarious

It sure looked that way...Hard to think a Pro Team would ever throw a game to get 1st pick...I mean lose a game to play a certain Team that kicked it's behind in last years playoffs...they might wish they didn't get what they wanted....

Ottawa Sens in 6 over...Cry Baby Cindy and I will just go away now that it's May Hossa.....Gary Roberts might be a difference maker with no Fisher playing for Ottawa......Like the rest of the Experts..I have no idea who will win

I know, I know..... that was last year....

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    PITTSBURG IN 6,

i say it will be pretty much a total reversal of last years playoffs. malkin is on fire, sid is sid of course, and they are a strong team. neoither team is really physical or intimidating.

sens defense is just not good, no way they can stop or contain the offense of pittsburg i think

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Ottawa in 6 (maybe 5)...

It is a new season and I believe in them.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    He singlehandedly brought the Canucks to the conference finals last year. I watched every game of their run, and he carried that team night in, night out.

And, I'm not saying Spezza can't score, but I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you that he is a setup man. That is not in any way meant as an insult. It's just a fact. He's not a pure-goalscorer. He has incredible vision, and looks for a pass first. That's why he and Heatley make such a good combo

Canucks only made it to the second round last year. But he did have lots to do with them getting by the first round.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Sens in 6 .I just hope the refs are fair and do a good job.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Why would anyone be worried about the playoffs...Does it effect your life that much that you guys worry about it?
    Besides pumping BIG BUCKS $$$$$ into the local economy!!! Over the past couple of weeks I was talking with a number of people who work in the restaurant, hotel and bar industry both inside Scotiabank and out and believe me they were very worried that the Sens would not make the playoffs. They were counting on the Playoffs which is a HUGE revenue source.........

So to answer your question Dave, yes there are many people in Ottawa who are directly affected by the Sens making the playoffs !!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    as well, longer the sens go, less people out on ths courses after work on game days!

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Besides pumping BIG BUCKS $$$$$ into the local economy!!! Over the past couple of weeks I was talking with a number of people who work in the restaurant, hotel and bar industry both inside Scotiabank and out and believe me they were very worried that the Sens would not make the playoffs. They were counting on the Playoffs which is a HUGE revenue source.........

So to answer your question Dave, yes there are many people in Ottawa who are directly affected by the Sens making the playoffs !!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonf
    You all do realize that the season is, in fact, still going, and that the Sens are still in it, right?

Well said jonf !! Lets focus on the task at hand, and we can worry about trade scenarios once the season is done...............hopefully in late June !!!

Nice try on the spin...My response was to your post above....I understand the money that is involved in the playoff's..Trust me I know. I have been in the business of hockey for almost 20 years. So a from Cash stand point it makes sense...Expet that was not what your comment was about..."Lets focus on the task at hand" - why do you or any other fan need to focus - My focus will do nothing to help my team win or lose..So that is why I asked the question...It just makes no sense to me.....

Baxter
    I guess it's been a while, so you can be forgiven for forgetting what it feels like to have a team in the playoffs.

All kidding aside, I don't see why people are discussing this rumour, for a number of reasons. 1 - it's a completely unrealistic trade..won't happen. 2 - People are discussing the trade as if Ottawa has already given up on their season and is in rebuilding mode. 3 - They may be discussing in on Hockey Night in Toronto, but that's only because their team is gone and they wouldn't dare imply that Ottawa might have a chance in the playoffs. Nope. They're already planning for next year. I guarantee nobody in the Ottawa organization is thinking about anything but the Penguins right now.
    Yup 2 years with out making the Playoffs...But I was alive to see my Team win a few Cups...How's that working for ya....close but no cigar doesn't count... One other note...it was on a color TV unlike the Leafs - Black and White....hahahaha

I'm sorry but how could you think you KNOW what is going to happen...Like all us simple minds, you have no idea what can and or might happen..Does Gretzky ring a bell..That will kill that thought right there as anything can happen....People can guess..nothing wrong with that..But speaking in fact is just crazy..Unless you have Mr.Murray's ear and if you do, I am sorry, I guess you do know..

People are discussing the possible trade because it is a need Ottawa has had for many,many years....Even if Gerber does win a couple of rounds... a Star Goalie just coming into his prime is needed ask NJ. and the big thing is this is just talk, thats all ..3- Perhaps you really didn't watch Hockey night in Canada that close. It had nothing to do with the Leafs...and again how can you think you know what the Ottawa staff are talking about at this time...no one knows but them..so please tell me how you can guarantee that?.....Just because the playoffs are starting does not mean phones don't work. People talk all the Time about things..Does not mean they will happen but they still talk....

This is getting blown up...It started out as a simple question on what people thought about it..and for some reason "Fans" are getting upset. Speaking like they have facts and are part of the inside....Just relax, take a deep breath...it's only a game....no one should be getting upset.......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonf
    You all do realize that the season is, in fact, still going, and that the Sens are still in it, right?

Well said jonf !! Lets focus on the task at hand, and we can worry about trade scenarios once the season is done...............hopefully in late June !!!

Nice try on the spin...My response was to your post above....I understand the money that is involved in the playoff's..Trust me I know. I have been in the business of hockey for almost 20 years. So a from Cash stand point it makes sense...Expet that was not what your comment was about..."Lets focus on the task at hand" - why do you or any other fan need to focus - My focus will do nothing to help my team win or lose..So that is why I asked the question...It just makes no sense to me.....
    You are "getting to deep" in your analysis of our wording...........................
    Let me make it more clear for you. I LIKE MANY OTHERS ARE TIRED OF TRADE TALK. WE HAD TO LISTEN TO A FULL COUPLE OF MONTHS LEADING UP TO THE TRADE DEADLINE. IT IS NOW THE PLAYOFFS. LETS TALK ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW. START A NEW THREAD RE: SUMMER TRADES IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS THAT TOPIC. I WOULD BET THE MAJORITY WOULD BE FINE WITH THAT !!!

P.S. I read your post again "Why would anyone be worried about the playoffs...Does it effect your life that much that you guys worry about it?"
    I stand behind my response even though you put a "nice spin" on my "supposed" spin..........Keep on SPINNING !!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Ottawa will win this series ONLY if Gerber plays well. He may have to play REALLY well. I am a "fan" of both teams.. not a first round match up that I wanted to see. And it is Sidney, Mr. Bullis. You have to respect one of the best players in the world. He could be the difference.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Canucks only made it to the second round last year. But he did have lots to do with them getting by the first round.
    Kinda reinforcing my earlier post that Luongo, for what he's touted to be, has yet to be a real difference maker. Then again, I'm not a Canuck watcher, so perhaps getting to the second round was more than anyone would have expected last year. Are they that bad a team? I know their defense was decimated by injury the entire year, so that's definitely impactful.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    Ottawa will win this series ONLY if Gerber plays well. He may have to play REALLY well. I am a "fan" of both teams.. not a first round match up that I wanted to see. And it is Sidney, Mr. Bullis. You have to respect one of the best players in the world. He could be the difference.
    I know the CBC would love to see the Penguins go far...........that was so evident last season during the first round.....................Can not blame them though viewers want to see Sid the kid and his supporting cast of Malkin and Hossa...........

Hope the Sens disappoint the CBC once again..............

Yup 2 years with out making the Playoffs...But I was alive to see my Team win a few Cups...How's that working for ya....close but no cigar doesn't count... One other note...it was on a color TV unlike the Leafs - Black and White....hahahaha

I'm sorry but how could you think you KNOW what is going to happen...Like all us simple minds, you have no idea what can and or might happen..Does Gretzky ring a bell..That will kill that thought right there as anything can happen....People can guess..nothing wrong with that..But speaking in fact is just crazy..Unless you have Mr.Murray's ear and if you do, I am sorry, I guess you do know..

People are discussing the possible trade because it is a need Ottawa has had for many,many years....Even if Gerber does win a couple of rounds... a Star Goalie just coming into his prime is needed ask NJ. and the big thing is this is just talk, thats all ..3- Perhaps you really didn't watch Hockey night in Canada that close. It had nothing to do with the Leafs...and again how can you think you know what the Ottawa staff are talking about at this time...no one knows but them..so please tell me how you can guarantee that?.....Just because the playoffs are starting does not mean phones don't work. People talk all the Time about things..Does not mean they will happen but they still talk....

This is getting blown up...It started out as a simple question on what people thought about it..and for some reason "Fans" are getting upset. Speaking like they have facts and are part of the inside....Just relax, take a deep breath...it's only a game....no one should be getting upset.......
    I thought you were a Leafs fan? Guess not. Don't know where I got that from.

I can guarantee you Luongo doesn't get traded for Spezza...because that would be a terrible trade. That was the trade people were talking about and, I'm sorry, that just ain't happening. So, unless Dave Nonis is the absolute worst GM to ever run a hockey team, that trade won't happen.

And let me rephrase my guarantee about the Sens front office. I guarantee that if Bryan Murray has any interest in winning this year, that Luongo is the furthest thing from his mind. Why on earth would he be thinking about a trade that can't be made for months when he has much more pressing business at hand? He's got a mess to deal with in the locker room. He does not need to be thinking about trades. Besides, most people evaluate trades based on their teams performance. Ottawa's performance is yet to be known.

I don't recall getting upset anywhere. I reminded some people that the season wasn't actually over, but I don't recall getting upset.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Kinda reinforcing my earlier post that Luongo, for what he's touted to be, has yet to be a real difference maker. Then again, I'm not a Canuck watcher, so perhaps getting to the second round was more than anyone would have expected last year. Are they that bad a team? I know their defense was decimated by injury the entire year, so that's definitely impactful.
    They're a very bad team, imho. Their defensive corps definitely has promise for the future, but they are terrible offensively. Calling them a one-line team would be generous, as they barely have one line that can score. I think they needed to not make the playoffs this year, as they will be forced to make some moves. Naslund and Morrison will not be back next year.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Sens vs Pens starts wed. at 7 pm

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    Sens vs Pens starts wed. at 7 pm
    Good, I'll be home from Calgary in time to watch.

PIT in 5

I would love to be way wrong on that, but...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    This is why I believe the Sens have as good a chance as anyone in the East...aside from Brodeur, there is not a proven playoff goaltender leading any of the teams. Lundquist played well last year but lost. Fleury, Price, Huet (assuming the Capitals hold on against the Panthers), Thomas, and Biron. How many playoff wins between them? I don't know...I think it's anyone's ball game.
    man, you are a serious homer and a dreamer. This Sens team has the 2nd worse record since December in the entire league. It limped into the playoffs and could not even control its own destiny to get in. The team defense has been lacking since the beginning of the year even with their great start.

I like your optimism but seriously the only way they get by Pitt is to play the exact opposite of the way of the last 4+ months and that is likely not to happen. One thing I have noticed is that if they get off to a good start they have confidence and can play well but as soon as they get pressure in their own end they are aweful and take too many penalties. The Bruins 4th line had them runnning around on Friday night, can you imagine the Pens 1st and 2nd lines?

I am not pessimistic but realistic. They can win the series but they will need to turn it completely around and chances of that are slim but stranger things have happened. A goal post here or there and a quick goal by the sens and things in 1 game can turn around. I have low expectations this year so I hope I get surprised.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Sens do not match up well against the Pens.
    I am not a Sens fan or a Pens fan. I will predict the Sens will end up playing Emery in this series and he will turn them around... scary to say, but true... He is probably pretty angry about the whole thing and will prove everyone wrong...

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I'm not too concerned on the Ottawa side of goaltending for this series. I wanted Pittsburgh because Fleury has not won a significant playoff style game in his career including the Juniors. I think that is where Pittsburgh will fall.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Sens do not match up well against the Pens.
    I am not a Sens fan or a Pens fan. I will predict the Sens will end up playing Emery in this series and he will turn them around... scary to say, but true... He is probably pretty angry about the whole thing and will prove everyone wrong...
    That's an interesting thought....Wow...if it worked that would send the hockey world a buzz...and the Ottawa Fans would have to try and find the love for him again...Shouldn't be to hard...as it's sitting on the wagon they all jumped off of...what a mess for next year if you are correct.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I'm not sure that Spezza for Luongo would be a bad deal for the 'nucks. Luongo only has 2 seasons left, and Spezza is signed for 7. But anyway, I'd rather discuss playoffs.

Baxter
    That is what the last 6 or 7 post have been about...Playoffs

Baxter
    Is there any thing NEW about Alfie and Fisher being talked about in the Ottawa Media?

Being out of town, don't get any info?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Apparently they are both out for the entire series but who knows these days. It may all be hype and they both show up tonight. I think ALfie is out for sure, he had more than a concusion, he has a shoulder problem and add that to his previous mystery injury and the Sens are without their on ice leader, not good. I see the Pens win this in a sweep or at best loose 1 game. Not to be pessimistic but wihtout 2 key guys it will make the Pens work easier.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Malakar was on the Team 1200 this morning and said that Afredsson, Fisher, and Kelly were on on the trip, but there for moral support only. He said that Kelly is the closest to coming back, but is still likely a week away.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information