CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fisher gone

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

Fisher gone

One of the few guys that work on the Sens and he's gone to Nashville for picks. Who's next?????

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I like it. It of course hinges on who we get in the draft, but Fisher has some hard miles on him so it's best to move him while he still has some value.

As for who's next...I'll say Phillips to the Bruins
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    No surprise there, should have been done last year and they could have gotten more for him. Although a 1st round pick and a conditional aint bad.

I say Phillips is next to go.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    I must say I am quite sad now to no longer see Carrie at the games though.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    A 1st rounder PLUS the 4.2 million in cap space going forward is a huge return. You don't really see deals like this very often in the salary-cap NHL.

I like it, a lot.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Fisher was one of my favourite Sens, but with the team in a re-building mode its good to have his 3.5 cap hit over the next 2 years off the books. Add to that clearing Kovalev, Phillips and LeClaire we have cleared over 16 million in space.

Hopefully we can trade Phillips and Kovalev for some draft picks (2nd/3rd) and have a stockpile of picks (3+ inside the top 50) and can bolster Bingo's roster that will eventually join the big team.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Trades

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    Fisher was one of my favourite Sens, but with the team in a re-building mode its good to have his 3.5 cap hit over the next 2 years off the books. Add to that clearing Kovalev, Phillips and LeClaire we have cleared over 16 million in space.

Hopefully we can trade Phillips and Kovalev for some draft picks (2nd/3rd) and have a stockpile of picks (3+ inside the top 50) and can bolster Bingo's roster that will eventually join the big team.
    Saw Kovalev's name in the paper the other day mentioned as trade bait... thought it was a typo. I'd give a sheet of plywood and a bag of pucks. Offers?

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I was shocked to read this on tsn.ca.
    I like Fisher, even with him in trade rumours for years I was surprised they traded him.
    I am sure he was tired of losing games and will be much happier in Nashville.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    cap space is great, but doesn't matter how much cap space you have, players have to WANT to come. Even in the past years with a team that was better than now, what big name good active players were the sens able to sign? now that they are in such turmoil, it is hard for me to see anyone of any value coming here.
    The only changes that HAVE to happen for this team to even consider getting better is a change in management, until then, good luck!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Saw Kovalev's name in the paper the other day mentioned as trade bait... thought it was a typo. I'd give a sheet of plywood and a bag of pucks. Offers?
    I think there will be teams that would want Kovi, depending on the price tag of course. Look at a team like Pittsburgh who has injury issues for one.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nexxo View Post
    cap space is great, but doesn't matter how much cap space you have, players have to WANT to come. Even in the past years with a team that was better than now, what big name good active players were the sens able to sign? now that they are in such turmoil, it is hard for me to see anyone of any value coming here.
    The only changes that HAVE to happen for this team to even consider getting better is a change in management, until then, good luck!
    Kuba was excellent prior to his injuries (although was he a trade or a FA, can't remember?). Everyone agreed that Gonchar was a good signing (at least for the first year or two of the contract - 3rd year was a little fishy). Ottawa's never been a team to go out and overpay for UFAs, but I have no doubt that there aren't *many* players who would strike Ottawa off their list of destinations simply because it's Ottawa.

I think the lack of FAs to come to Ottawa is more based on unwillingness to break the bank, rather than the lure of the city (or lack thereof).

Players who do come and play here have nothing but good things to say about the city, Mr. Heatley notwithstanding.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Bitter-sweet.
    I loved the way Fisher played , but i think this trade was always coming. I wish they could have used the trade to try to get Shea Webber this summer . Wishful thinking perhaps ... good luck Mike
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    A competitor and a gentleman. He'll be missed but I believe that the timing was right wrt his current value and his personal life. Best of luck to he and Carrie....
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    well i can not agree with you that everyone thought gonchar was a good signing, i never did.

Jason Smith? not a good signing

what about volchenkov? left when he could

of course the kovalev signing is stellar!!

and what about all the UFAs murray has traded for and never signed to keep after the first season? not that i would say you want to sign all of them, but some leap to mind:
    stillman? a fine player then, comrie? same thing, even sutton woudl look good back on the blue line.

This team mainly though has no direction. Why would a free agent choose to come here? what is the incentive? Revolving door of coaches, older main guard who are not winning anymore, it is not a good place.

Think Edmonton, I would suggest many players have the same feelings about coming to Ottawa as they have in Edmonton,.

anyway, it will take a lot of work to overhaul this team, and it needs to start with the GM and continue with the Coach and the core players.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    well i can not agree with you that everyone thought gonchar was a good signing, i never did.

and what about all the UFAs murray has traded for and never signed to keep after the first season? not that i would say you want to sign all of them, but some leap to mind:
    stillman? a fine player then, comrie? same thing, even sutton woudl look good back on the blue line.

This team mainly though has no direction. Why would a free agent choose to come here? what is the incentive? Revolving door of coaches, older main guard who are not winning anymore, it is not a good place.

Think Edmonton, I would suggest many players have the same feelings about coming to Ottawa as they have in Edmonton,.

anyway, it will take a lot of work to overhaul this team, and it needs to start with the GM and continue with the Coach and the core players.
    It would be interesting to see how any of us chumps would do as GM here working under an owner who foists personnel decisions upon you. Do we really believe that Murray wanted Kovalev, and then Gonchar? Maybe Gonchar, but Kovalev? C'mon. Everyone and their dog knows that Kovalev is a malcontent. Until Melnyk butts out of any and all hockey operations, which I doubt he ever will, things won't change.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Volchenkov was a cap issue, the Sens couldn't afford to keep him at the time.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    It's always easier to make the calls from the comfort of one's armchair. That's part of the charm of sports. You can always second guess the other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    It would be interesting to see how any of us chumps would do as GM here working under an owner who foists personnel decisions upon you. ....
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Volchenkov was a cap issue, the Sens couldn't afford to keep him at the time.
    True, but then they went out and dropped $5.5M over 3 on Gonchar last summer. It wasn't so much a matter of cap hit as it was overpaying him from the Sens perspective. My guess is they would want a do-over on that one.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    This is just patently wrong. Volchenkov loved playing in Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    True, but then they went out and dropped $5.5M over 3 on Gonchar last summer. It wasn't so much a matter of cap hit as it was overpaying him from the Sens perspective. My guess is they would want a do-over on that one.

Agreed. I think both players would also like a do-over on this one

Question Media or reality?

Really don't like the "spin" I have seen on tv regarding this trade. Hockey is a business, the players know it, and trades come with the territory. For Murray, or the media, to play this as a good deal for Fisher "for family reasons" is just WRONG IMHO. Who he marries and where she lives is a NON ISSUE. Sure it would be "nice" to send him to his wife's home town BUT in business you have to get the best bang for your buck. IF Murray really took Fisher's family situation into account then he is letting his human side adversely affect his business side. I'd sooner have a heartless Bast*** running the team and getting us into the playoffs every year than have the current country club atmoshpere.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I dont think Murray could of gotten a better deal for Fisher even if he traded him anywhere else but Nashville. Nobody with a better first rounder would pay that much for Fisher. I could be wrong tho...

Really don't like the "spin" I have seen on tv regarding this trade. Hockey is a business, the players know it, and trades come with the territory. For Murray, or the media, to play this as a good deal for Fisher "for family reasons" is just WRONG IMHO. Who he marries and where she lives is a NON ISSUE. Sure it would be "nice" to send him to his wife's home town BUT in business you have to get the best bang for your buck. IF Murray really took Fisher's family situation into account then he is letting his human side adversely affect his business side. I'd sooner have a heartless Bast*** running the team and getting us into the playoffs every year than have the current country club atmoshpere.
    he had a no trade clause so the reality is, he didn't have to go anywhere. It was done amicably and Murray got a lot, considering Fisher probably wouldn't have gone anywhere else.

For Murray, or the media, to play this as a good deal for Fisher "for family reasons" is just WRONG IMHO. Who he marries and where she lives is a NON ISSUE. Sure it would be "nice" to send him to his wife's home town BUT in business you have to get the best bang for your buck. IF Murray really took Fisher's family situation into account then he is letting his human side adversely affect his business side. I'd sooner have a heartless Bast*** running the team and getting us into the playoffs every year than have the current country club atmoshpere.
    If Fisher had to be traded, I'm glad he was sent somewhere he wanted to be. I think after all he has done for the team, and the community, that's the least we can do for him.

Perhaps the upside of it is, other players will notice the loyalty that was shown to Fisher and know that Ottawa treats it's players with respect.

Thumbs up Class Act!

When is the last time you saw a professional sports star take out a full-page ad in the local paper thanking the fans and saying his good bye?

Best of luck Mike, this City is the poorer for your departure.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    When is the last time you saw a professional sports star take out a full-page ad in the local paper thanking the fans and saying his good bye?

Best of luck Mike, this City is the poorer for your departure.
    A nice touch.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Anyone have a link to this ad?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Anyone have a link to this ad?
    I dont but itwas in sundays paper

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    he had a no trade clause so the reality is, he didn't have to go anywhere. It was done amicably and Murray got a lot, considering Fisher probably wouldn't have gone anywhere else.
    The media was the one who claimed Fisher had a no trade clause but he never did. Murry did address the media a couple of weeks ago on this issue.

People who claim Mike went to nashville because of Carrie are right but not beacuse of the reasons you think. The Preds are using the marrage of Mike and Carrie in the papers big time to get people in the seats right now. The first game Mike played this weekend all upper bowl seats were $12 and from what was said Via twitter Carrie was shown on the big screen as much as the game was. Nashville knew they could benefit big time from Mike as much off the ice as they could on so thats why this deal was done.

Mike may have a couple more good years left in him were he can play the physical game he plays so getting somthing now for him was a great deal!
    "If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." Kirk Cobain

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    The media was the one who claimed Fisher had a no trade clause but he never did. Murry did address the media a couple of weeks ago on this issue.

People who claim Mike went to nashville because of Carrie are right but not beacuse of the reasons you think. The Preds are using the marrage of Mike and Carrie in the papers big time to get people in the seats right now. The first game Mike played this weekend all upper bowl seats were $12 and from what was said Via twitter Carrie was shown on the big screen as much as the game was. Nashville knew they could benefit big time from Mike as much off the ice as they could on so thats why this deal was done.

Mike may have a couple more good years left in him were he can play the physical game he plays so getting somthing now for him was a great deal!

Matt..this says otherwise:

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Mike Fisher, OTT - NMC [NMC for 2008-09 to 2010-11, limited NTC for 2011-12 and 2012-13]

Thread Information