CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I fail to see how he has done damage to the game by commissioning Mitchell to do the report. The game was already being damaged by rampant drug use. Fans were already suspicious and mistrusting of the players and anything that came out of their mouths in that regard. You'll never convince me that ignoring that elephant in the room was a good strategy for baseball. Shinning the light of day on this problem may well break the apparent fascination for, and acceptance of, the use of these drugs in MLB. If this report reduces the use of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, then I say that the game, the players and the fans have benefited.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    ... He has done damage to the game, but as in everything ese, we will all forget this in a few years and he will have be seen to have clened up the game (maybe). ...
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I fail to see how he has done damage to the game by commissioning Mitchell to do the report. The game was already being damaged by rampant drug use. Fans were already suspicious and mistrusting of the players and anything that came out of their mouths in that regard. You'll never convince me that ignoring that elephant in the room was a good strategy for baseball. Shinning the light of day on this problem may well break the apparent fascination for, and acceptance of, the use of these drugs in MLB. If this report reduces the use of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, then I say that the game, the players and the fans have benefited.
    Mike, I agree with you but I guess what I meant was the he has made it 'official'. I am not condeming the fact that the investigation was commissioned at all and hopefully the players union will get on board. Unfortunately the 10 million cost of the report will seem like a drop in the bucket once the legal battles and lawsuits start. We have a lot of cornered individuals who are going to come out swinging as their money making abilities depend on it. This has the potential for becoming very ugly.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I agree with you, Bob, that this will undoubtedly become ugly. But that may well be the price to pay to clean up this mess. The players and their entourages, as well as the owners, were certainly not going to do the right thing if left to their own devices. No doubt, we'll see their spokespersons railing against the injustice of it all, much like we saw and continue to see, in track and field and bike racing. In the end, the cheats will slink away once the truth has been disclosed.

There's may be another way to deal with this, but it is not one which the players are likely to pursue. Here's the sound bite:

In a refreshing bit of candour, the Baseball Players Association today admitted that many players used performance enhancing drugs during a time when the use of such drugs had, unfortunately, become quietly accepted. Yes it was wrong, but that was not readily apparent to those whose careers hung in the balance and whose judgment had become clouded. It's time to admit the errors of the past and to move forward. Toward that end, the Players Association together with MLB have agreed to implement the most stringent anti-drug policy in sports. That policy will see random testing combined with harsh penalties ranging from suspensions and fines, to lifetime bans from baseball. We intend to win back the trust of the fans. It begins today!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Mike, I agree with you but I guess what I meant was the he has made it 'official'. I am not condeming the fact that the investigation was commissioned at all and hopefully the players union will get on board. Unfortunately the 10 million cost of the report will seem like a drop in the bucket once the legal battles and lawsuits start. We have a lot of cornered individuals who are going to come out swinging as their money making abilities depend on it. This has the potential for becoming very ugly.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    No doubt it will be an interesting but loooooong ride. I guess we better buckle up and hold on.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Big Shooter
    who cares....all are overpaid millionaires...they'll be alright!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
    who cares....all are overpaid millionaires...they'll be alright!
    That is the spirit right there!

WHO CARES????

NOT I

Gee I got caught doing Roids. Oh well I have $50 + million in the bank, I guess I can retire now and try to get my CHAMPIONS TOUR CARD Hey MLB, don't forget to deposit my pension in the bank every month.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Another Day.........another admission............

So who was it going to be today from the Mitchell Report list that would admit they used Steroids or HGH..........

Well..........its two time American League All-Star and current 2nd baseman for the Baltimore Orioles, Brian Roberts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3159406

"In a statement issued Tuesday to The Associated Press, Roberts said he tried steroids four years ago.
    "In 2003, when I took one shot of steroids, I immediately realized that this was not what I stood for or anything that I wanted to continue doing. I never used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing drugs prior to or since that single incident," he said.
    "I can honestly say before God, myself, my family and all of my fans, that steroids or any performance-enhancing drugs have never had any effect on what I have worked so hard to accomplish in the game of baseball."

The admission statements are also starting to sound very similiar. Usually starts off by saying, I made a mistake and only used steroids or HGH once or twice in Pettitte's case.

Reminds me of when a drunk driver is pulled over and the Officer asks him how many drinks he had tonight. Answer is usually one beer..............

Roberts even went farther to bring "God" into his appology...........

And yes Rocket Roger came out flatly denying any drug use..........
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3160063
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Clemens repeats steroids denials, will interview on "60 Minutes"

Roger Clemens posted a video repeating his denials of steroids use and will interview with "60 Minutes" to answer questions about allegations against him in the Mitchell Report.

You can view the posted interview on Youtube or Roger's website.

http://www.rogerclemensonline.com http://www.youtube.com/wrclemens

In the video Roger says:

"Let me be clear, the answer is no. I did not use steroids, or human growth hormone and I've never done so," Clemens said. "I did not provide Brian McNamee with any drugs to inject in to my body. Brian McNamee did not inject steroids or Human Growth Hormones into my body either when I played in Toronto for the Blue Jays or the New York Yankees. This report is simply not true."

"After Christmas, I'm going to sit down with Mike Wallace of `60 Minutes,' and I'll do an interview, and he'll ask me a ton of questions on this subject, and I'll answer them right there in front of him, and we'll do all of this again," Clemens said. "I'm angry about it. To be honest with you, it's hurtful to me and my family, but we're coming upon Christmas now, and I have been blessed in my life. I've been blessed in my career, and I'm very thankful for those blessings."
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Thread Information