100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    It's bad enough the public golfers lose courses to CL, but is that really nessesary? Comments like that are part of the problem. When CL members rub our noses in it, it is an attitude that I personally resent. I have seen it before in this forum and I for one do not like it.
    Come on Dan. I did not rub anyone’s nose in it. It is an honest comment and I stand by it. I’m a CL member and I will not hide the fact that I wish they would also buy SB. Just like the fact that non-CL members on this forum vividly expresses their hatred against CL.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    You most definitely rubbed people's nose in it. Keep it civil and on topic, if you want to talk about CL taking over Stonebridge you can do it in your forum. Cheers.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    It's bad enough the public golfers lose courses to CL, but is that really nessesary? Comments like that are part of the problem. When CL members rub our noses in it, it is an attitude that I personally resent. I have seen it before in this forum and I for one do not like it.
    I understand public golfers' feelings with the lost of EC. However, saying that golfers lost courses to CL might be a bit strong. I think that EC is really the first lost for public golfers as none of the other CL courses in the region attracted much public golfers anyway. I never heard someone saying that Hautes Plaines (Dome) or former Greyhawk was their favorite courses or felt that it was a lost when they were acquired by CL. I won't even mention Kanata Lakes since it was already private. As SectionTone said, there is plenty of CL members on this forum. If other members of this forum aren't shy to ask, then they'll play EC probably as often as they did in the past.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Stephane I for one won't be shy!! I may not like losing the course but given the opportunity i'd still love to play it.

bbad
    I for one would be willing to take people out there. I figure I'll be a pernament fixture there during the summer. Always looking for new people to play with

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Stephane I for one won't be shy!! I may not like losing the course but given the opportunity i'd still love to play it.
    You'll be my guest anytime, just let me know...now only if they can keep the green fees reasonable...sometimes CL courses have pretty pricey guest fees but twilights are generally good deals...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I did not rub anyone’s nose in it.
    I respectfully disagree. If you wish to continue this discussion please contact me by PM.
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Keep it civil and on topic, if you want to talk about CL taking over Stonebridge you can do it in your forum. Cheers.
    Actually most of the discussion is done in there. This link, and others like it in the general forums, were started recently by non-CL members who had heard something.

Losing Eagle Creek is a blow to the public golfers in the area, that is no doubt. That view might be tempered by the fact that EC was never built to be a public course. Only it's bankruptcy and Andre's salvage of the course allowed it to be played by the general public. If this deal is signed, and I'm saying if because anything could happen, then EC will become private at some time in the near future.

Personally I do not believe that CL is finished in the area. I think they will beuy at least one more course, if not two. But they will buy them under their terms, which is good for me as a member, but not so good for non-members.

And although there are several hundred public golfers who are sad that EC will be closing, there are a few thousand CL members who are happy.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Personally I do not believe that CL is finished in the area. I think they will beuy at least one more course, if not two. But they will buy them under their terms, which is good for me as a member, but not so good for non-members.
    I would have to agree.

With the well documented struggles of traditional private clubs these days, I really do think Clublink will be acquiring more courses as time goes on. It plays right into their business plan of gobbling up quality, established courses that are teetering on the brink. Much cheaper than building new courses these days!

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    PS. If I came across as one of the nose-rubbers, I do apologize. EC is one of my favourite courses, and it was/is hard for me to contain my excitement.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    I make an offer to all of those I already dealt with, and that means a lot of OG members , if you want to play EC and you are required to play with a member (I doubt it will be a requirement for the first year though), then let me know....
    Pretty hard to boo the cl members when they make offers like this
    The ones I know are all really great guys.
    I'm happy for them, but sad to see eagle creek moved into their fold.
    Andrew

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I regret paying for my membership for this season ... had I known about EC I'd have joined ClubLink this year ...
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    I regret paying for my membership for this season ... had I known about EC I'd have joined ClubLink this year ...
    Any chance you can get out of it? My old club would allow you to get your money back until opening day.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Time for me to chime in... I think we should be thankful for:

A) Ken Venturi designing EC (what other work has he done? not much I don't think - not bad if his design resume is a short one)

B) The original private equity version of EC going belly up, allowing public play for the past 14 or 15 years.

C) Mr. Lacasse for restoring the club to its originally intended lustre and keeping the course accessible and affordable (mostly) during his tenure as owner.

As for EC going CL, I have been looking for a reason to join CL, and this is likely it. As for Stonebridge going CL, that remains to be seen. I think some of us would like to see it happen, others not so much. Personally, I don't care of Stonebridge.

I didn't get the impression mberube was rubbing anyone's nose in the growing CL collection of courses ... it just depends on what is inferred by his post. Some infer humor, others infer malice. The beauty of CL is that stable of courses, and paying one membership to gain access to many. Perhaps mberube, like many of us, was just excited by the prospect.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Now, now. Just drink the koolaid and you will be fine...
    Koolaid? It's friday night...I had a lot more than Koolaid in mind. I originally planned on beer, but given this news I think I'm going to be meeting up with my old friend JD

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Great!---now that it's a done deal maybe we can talk about something that 80% of us can afford?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    like that new epic shaft

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Great!---now that it's a done deal maybe we can talk about something that 80% of us can afford?

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Ok, now it seems agreed by the vast majority of forum members that it is a DONE DEAL!! Where have I heard that before...........

As a non CL member,(and no intention of ever being one) I have a question which perhaps the CL members on this forum can answer.

Everyone agrees that EC will be the "crown jewel" of the CL courses in the Ottawa area. What I am trying to understand, is how long will CL allow members who join Hautes Plaines for $6,500 have unlimited use of EC, that also goes for the Greyhawk members who pay $12,500. Obviously EC will have to try and build their membership from a club which does not have a base. As previously mentioned, many regulars have indicated they are going to the Marshes, and others may not want to be part of CL for $$ reasons or other reasons. Also, you have the Kanata Lakes members paying $22,500 and they will want prime tee-times at EC.
    So my question is how long are you CL members at HP and Greyhawk,who have payed significantly less than Kanata members and what EC membership will likely be paying, have unlimited or even "off peak" free access to EC. Do you anticipate this free unlimited access going on for the first year only, a couple of years, or indefinetely.......??
    I am very interested in hearing your answers on how this is going to play-out.

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Ok, now it seems agreed by the vast majority of forum members that it is a DONE DEAL!! Where have I heard that before...........

As a non CL member,(and no intention of ever being one) I have a question which perhaps the CL members on this forum can answer.

Everyone agrees that EC will be the "crown jewel" of the CL courses in the Ottawa area. What I am trying to understand, is how long will CL allow members who join Hautes Plaines for $6,500 have unlimited use of EC, that also goes for the Greyhawk members who pay $12,500. Obviously EC will have to try and build their membership from a club which does not have a base. As previously mentioned, many regulars have indicated they are going to the Marshes, and others may not want to be part of CL for $$ reasons or other reasons. Also, you have the Kanata Lakes members paying $22,500 and they will want prime tee-times at EC.
    So my question is how long are you CL members at HP and Greyhawk,who have payed significantly less than Kanata members and what EC membership will likely be paying, have unlimited or even "off peak" free access to EC. Do you anticipate this free unlimited access going on for the first year only, a couple of years, or indefinetely.......??
    Actually that is part of CL's appeal. I have been a member at Greyhawk for several years now, my initiation was 6,500. I have played numerous times at Le Maitre, Kanata, Fontainbleau, Grandview and Rocky Crest over the years with no additional fees. I have also played Hautes Plaines and Lake Chesdin (cart fee at Chesdin). CL allows you to play up one level with no additional fee. The home course can block preferred tee times for its members, and you have to particpate in events at your club, but those are about the only gotchas. The only thing that CL could do would be to bring in EC as Prestige. Then we can play with no reciprocal fee when there is a full course event at our home clubs.

Fontainebleau and Le Maitre are not Prestige level, it would be hard for CL to justify putting EC as prestige.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Actually that is part of CL's appeal. I have been a member at Greyhawk for several years now, my initiation was 6,500. I have played numerous times at Le Maitre, Kanata, Fontainbleau, Grandview and Rocky Crest over the years with no additional fees. I have also played Hautes Plaines and Lake Chesdin (cart fee at Chesdin). CL allows you to play up one level with no additional fee. The home course can block preferred tee times for its members, and you have to particpate in events at your club, but those are about the only gotchas. The only thing that CL could do would be to bring in EC as Prestige. Then we can play with no reciprocal fee when there is a full course event at our home clubs.

Fontainebleau and Le Maitre are not Prestige level, it would be hard for CL to justify putting EC as prestige.
    Thanks Colby !!

Yes, my thoughts are that they could start EC off as Platinum as they try to build a base membership and then after a couple of years move it to Prestige.
    My thinking is that there is going to be such a huge demand for tee-times from HP, Greyhawk and especially the nearby Kanata members that they will have to do something. I know Le Maitre is "mighty fine", but it is in a resort area, so they would have a very low local member base, and have to rely on the Gold & Platinum visitors. I assume this would also apply for the Muskoka courses.

I guess what has me so puzzled is how are they going to get a large EC member base? At Kanata, as we all know they had the large former Kanata Lakes Golf Club membership to draw from. These members joined, if I recall for a very low price if nothing? I do remember there was some controversy in the newspapers as there were members who objected getting "dinged" twice for membership entrance fees. Forgot how it was resolved...?

Again your thoughts.....???

I think some of the membership will come from Kanata. And then CL will try and get more Kanata members. I think that there will be an initial blowout for EC memberships that will be very appealing, then it will slowly go up as the numbers increase. Also what may happen is that people who want Platinum status, but don't necessarily live in this area will buy. For example, the cheapest Platinum club in Toronto is 30K (Grandview in the Muskokas) while most are 45-50K. If EC comes in at 12-15K for a blow out, some people in the Toronto area will buy memberships and hardly ever play EC.
    Colby

If EC comes in at 12-15K for a blow out, some people in the Toronto area will buy memberships and hardly ever play EC.
    They will then have to sign a waiver that forces them to play 50% of their rounds in the Eastern Zone, or a minimum of 25% of their rounds at their home course.

This I know as I bought my Clublink membership while I still lived in Waterloo.

I think some of the membership will come from Kanata. And then CL will try and get more Kanata members. I think that there will be an initial blowout for EC memberships that will be very appealing, then it will slowly go up as the numbers increase. Also what may happen is that people who want Platinum status, but don't necessarily live in this area will buy. For example, the cheapest Platinum club in Toronto is 30K (Grandview in the Muskokas) while most are 45-50K. If EC comes in at 12-15K for a blow out, some people in the Toronto area will buy memberships and hardly ever play EC.
    If some of the membership does come from Kanata members joining EC, what transfer fee does CL charge members from moving from one platinum club to another??

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    News of the "almost official" sale is making its rounds throughout Ontario

http://www.ontgolf.ca/blogs/2007/02/...k-near-ottawa/

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Now that I think of it, was Clublink present at the Ottawa Golf Show in the past? If they are present this year, that will make things interesting!!!

Par stinger is on a distinguished road

prestige or not

I don't think that EC will ever become prestige unless they can sell memberships for 35K with 500 members. I doubt they can find that kind of cash for that course in our market.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    yes, Eagle creek simply is not a prestige course. it takes quite a bit , more than just a greeat track, to be prestige.
    platinum, yes, prestige, no

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

You can’t purchase a membership at HP and play all your round at EC, GH and Kanata. In your contract it says that you must play more 60% (not sure of the actual %) at your home course. If that is not attained you will be charged a penalty at the end of the year. The fee will be calculated in relation with the course you played the most.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

If some of the membership does come from Kanata members joining EC, what transfer fee does CL charge members from moving from one platinum club to another??
    It's usually written in the bylaws and goes something like:

The transfer fee, as determined by ClubLink, in its sole and absolute discretion, from time to time, shall be a percentage of the then applicable initial membership fee for an initial Principal or Corporate Membership.

So if they are trying to boost the membership at EC, you may see a low percentage...
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Section TOne View Post
    They will then have to sign a waiver that forces them to play 50% of their rounds in the Eastern Zone, or a minimum of 25% of their rounds at their home course.

This I know as I bought my Clublink membership while I still lived in Waterloo.
    Ahh, they changed that then. When I joined up, there was no mention of that.
    Colby

Thread Information