CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

Sabbatini Ruffles Freddie's Feathers

True to form, Sabbatini gets another dig in at Tiger by being AWOL for the last round of the Target World but still pockets 170K for his 'efforts'.
    As Freddie says, he's messing with the wrong guy.

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/news_story/?I...4&hubname=golf
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    True to form, Sabbatini gets another dig in at Tiger by being AWOL for the last round of the Target World but still pockets 170K for his 'efforts'.
    As Freddie says, he's messing with the wrong guy.

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/news_story/?I...4&hubname=golf
    Gotta love Freddie!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    That's as outspoken as I've heard Freddie be. Tiger's not too happy about it either, this is from sportsline.com:
    Woods, the tournament host, shook his head when asked about Sabbatini on his way to the practice range. After winning by seven shots, he said he was trying to sort through conflicting reports.
    "I've heard he had shin splints," Woods said. "I heard he pulled out for personal reasons. He packed his locker up at 3 o'clock yesterday, I think headed to Hawaii. A lot of different things going on. And I'd like to try and get to the bottom of it when I'm done here, and we'll see what happens."
    Later, he was asked if he minded that Sabbatini left, and a cold stare spoke volumes.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    If only I could get my full pay cheque after going MIA for a quarter of the work week.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    If only I could get my full pay cheque after going MIA for a quarter of the work week.
    I take it you dont work for the government
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Not funny at all for one who has toiled long hours with pride for the governement of Canada since 1988. But knowing that you are such a good fellow, I'll forgive you this uncharacteristic mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    I take it you dont work for the government
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Not funny at all for one who has toiled long hours with pride for the governement of Canada since 1988. But knowing that you are such a good fellow, I'll forgive you this uncharacteristic mistake.
    It was tongue in cheek Michael.
    Remember now, I too worked for the fed govt for many years.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Just checking to see if you were on your toes.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    It was tongue in cheek Michael.
    Remember now, I too worked for the fed govt for many years.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

3 Wood Leftygolfer3 is on a distinguished road Leftygolfer3's Avatar
    As one of my best friends says, "you can't fix stupid".

I honestly don't think Sabbatini will ever learn.
    Proud Member of the '07, '08, '09, '11 & '12 TGN Ryder Cup Team!!!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Probably shouldn't have pulled out like that, but at the same time, it's nice to have at least one golfer out there who doesn't bow down before Tiger (referring to Sabattini's past words towards Tiger, rather than this weekend's display).

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftygolfer3 View Post
    "you can't fix stupid".
    I LOVE that saying............tell your friend to consider it stolen

Bellyhungry
    Sabattini at least plays on the tour and won something in recent years.

The reality is, he was kosher enough with Tiger to get invited. On the other hand, I don't see Woody Austin being there.

Freddie lives off off-season handouts. I bet as soon as regular season starts, he will throw in the towel and go into rehab until the next silly season begins.

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    Sabattini was there due to his ranking, not as an invite. Tiger would not have had a choice but have him there.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellyhungry View Post

The reality is, he was kosher enough with Tiger to get invited. On the other hand, I don't see Woody Austin being there.

Freddie lives off off-season handouts. I bet as soon as regular season starts, he will throw in the towel and go into rehab until the next silly season begins.
    Freddy is 48, he doesn't need to work full time anymore. He can work part time and still survive. If he gets that back straightened out he can hit the Champions Tour in two years and have fun there.

Some people would rather not live in constant pain in order to play golf. He stated he would rather be healthy and be able to play golf with friends than be on tour with a sore back.

I am good with Freddy showing up when he can. He had his glory days and is still owns one of the smoothest swings on tour.

As for Sabbatini, what can you say? Only he and his doctor know for sure if he had shin splints. For a pro to shoot an 81 during a round he must have had something bothering him.

I am not defending the guy. Since I do not know him personally I can not comment on his personal life. I think people dislike Rory as he tends to march to the beat of his own drums. Non conforming PGA member and some people just do not like that fact.

He is who he is.

Plus we would not have seen him during the coverage on Sunday, he would have been off the course by time the telecast started. So we really did not miss anything.

It is not his fault he was paid $170,000 for playing 3 rounds. Maybe the tournament executives need to address that issue before the 08 event. If someone drops out then the last place prize money goes to Tiger's Foundation.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I think people dislike Rory as he tends to march to the beat of his own drums. Non conforming PGA member and some people just do not like that fact.
    I think most people admire a guy who marches to his own beat as long as it's done with some class and decorum. Sabbatini is lacking sadly in both departments.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    It is not his fault he was paid $170,000 for playing 3 rounds. Maybe the tournament executives need to address that issue before the 08 event.
    You're right the execs should address this before next year, but let's face it, until Rory pulled this stunt it was not an issue. He doesn't even have the character to donate the prize money he was given - yet he will likely cave under the pressure and eventually donate the money, just not of his own volition.
    When a player as laid-back as Fred Couples calls you out in the media you need to take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself if you did the right thing.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Tiger is not one to talk, he did not attend every Buick tourney this year either, I guess he did not mind ruffling their feathers but was able to take their endorsement money
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Yowwwzers don't go burning Freddy Couples!!! He had reasons for not playing this season and has his schedule already planned for next year. He'll be playing until his back doesn't allow him to do so anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Tiger is not one to talk, he did not attend every Buick tourney this year either, I guess he did not mind ruffling their feathers but was able to take their endorsement money
    To begin with there is a big difference between prize money and endorsement money - just ask Michelle Wie.
    What was Tiger's lame-ass excuse for missing one of the Buick tournaments? Shins splints! Oh no wait, it was actually the birth of his daughter.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    The first PGA tournament of the year (Mercedes Championship) has a similar format. Limited invited field; you show up, play one round, decide your not fit, and you get paid last place money (i think $50k; maybe it's gone up). Not bad for a days work.
    Last edited by btasse; 12-19-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

So this excuses Sabbatini's lack actions. I don't think so. More to the point, no one every questioned Freddie's class and character. Sabbatini's are in question.

Sorry Belly but I couldn't disagree more.......Freddy is nothing but Class - Sabattini is missing the C and the L

There's a vast difference between choosing not to play in a tournament and not sticking around once you've chosen to play. Once you make the commitment to play, you play your best and you play every round. Tiger has never, ever, been accused of not giving it his very best. Sabbatini seems to have a different perspective of commitment. It's not one that resonates with most people.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Sorry Belly but I couldn't disagree more.......Freddy is nothing but Class - Sabattini is missing the C and the L
    I agree that Freddie is a class act, but if we go back and check the President's Cup threads on this forum, more than a few of us mentioned how approachable and how genuine Rory came across for those of us, myself included, who attended the PC. I was not a fan of Rory before the PC, but definitely was afterwards. I don't like how his withdrawl from Tiger's event looks, but I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt regarding the shin splints.

For those of us who have had shin splints, there's not much you can do other than rest, so Hawaii would be as good a place as any.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    I wonder how many people on here complaining about rory blowing off a day of work and still being paid have ever called in to their work "sick" to play golf or soemthing similar?

same thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post
    I wonder how many people on here complaining about rory blowing off a day of work and still being paid have ever called in to their work "sick" to play golf or soemthing similar?

same thing to me.
    Only difference here nhwott is that golf is the only sport where you only get paid if you play and perform, normally Rory would have gotten squat for pulling this stunt.....this was a charity event with guaranteed money for the players who were invited and who showed up. IMO showing up means for the entire tournament.

I bet that the Rory would have stayed around if he was going to have to forfeit his cash

Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post

same thing to me.
    ...and I wonder how many people on here are paid 170K for four days work. There is a glaring difference.

If Rory really did have a sudden attack of the shin splints that came on a day after he carded an 81, (promptly followed by a nice tidy 76) then he should have exited the tournament like a man. Announce you are pulling out, thank Tiger for hosting a great tournament, and donate your winnings to charity.

If Rory really did have a sudden attack of the shin splints that came on a day after he carded an 81, (promptly followed by a nice tidy 76) then he should have exited the tournament like a man. Announce you are pulling out, thank Tiger for hosting a great tournament, and donate your winnings to charity.
    Well Said Shivas!!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Only difference here nhwott is that golf is the only sport where you only get paid if you play and perform, normally Rory would have gotten squat for pulling this stunt.....this was a charity event with guaranteed money for the players who were invited and who showed up. IMO showing up means for the entire tournament.

I bet that the Rory would have stayed around if he was going to have to forfeit his cash
    Actually, the tournament is governed by PGA Tour rules. If a player pulls out of a normal tour event after playing the third round, they're automatically awarded last place money. In a guaranteed money event like the Mercedes, the players only have to pull out after registering to receive their last place money. I think there was an issue with Stephen Ames doing that last year with the Tour Championship. He never even went to the tournament site, but because he registered to play, and then withdrew on the Monday, he still received last place money.

All that said I agree with Shivas, I think Rory owed Tiger the courtesy of letting him or the tournament officials know that he was withdrawing.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Actually, the tournament is governed by PGA Tour rules. If a player pulls out of a normal tour event after playing the third round, they're automatically awarded last place money.
    Fair enough Spackler, but last place $$ in a regular tour event is no where near $140K

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    How do we know for sure that he didn't do this? Just because the media didn't report it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information