CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: What to hit from 170yds...

Voters
647. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driver

2 0.31%
  • Fairway Wood

25 3.86%
  • Hybrid

52 8.04%
  • 3 iron

5 0.77%
  • 4 iron

47 7.26%
  • 5 iron

142 21.95%
  • 6 iron

213 32.92%
  • 7 iron

117 18.08%
  • 8 iron

40 6.18%
  • 9 iron

2 0.31%
  • Pitching wedge

1 0.15%
  • Other wedges for John Daly

1 0.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Thanks Charles I find that pretty accurate for me. Woods would only be off as regard to off the deck versus off the Tee I can hit my 7 wood at least a club further than listed but the other woods off the deck wouldn't be much better. I do need to get new woods or new shafts in the ones I have though. I find them too heavy.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    It is surprising is that it fits the irons extremely well for you guys but seems to be missing out on the woods. Not exactly sure why?
    The irons distances fit me well for average OG member, but there's no way I average 260 with my driver. I can hit it about 275 but my average is more like 240.
    I think this is due to being much more consistant with a 7-iron as opposed to a driver.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Thanks Charles I find that pretty accurate for me. Woods would only be off as regard to off the deck versus off the Tee I can hit my 7 wood at least a club further than listed but the other woods off the deck wouldn't be much better. I do need to get new woods or new shafts in the ones I have though. I find them too heavy.
    Sounds like a task for a clubfitter. Just make sure that the get the specs of your current woods/shafts, then you will have something to compare to and this will verify the lofts of your current woods.
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    The irons distances fit me well for average OG member, but there's no way I average 260 with my driver. I can hit it about 275 but my average is more like 240.
    I think this is due to being much more consistant with a 7-iron as opposed to a driver.
    Based on the responses (which I am glad have been positive ), I think that there may be something else at play when it comes to the woods and wedges.

Wedges this may have something to do with the lofts, but also may have to do with the the mentality for wedges that the length of distance is only important for consistency. However, my PW goes 140yds and that is a heck of a gap to fill with 3 clubs (GW, SW, LW). I find that almost everything inside of 100yds I am using my LW.

For the woods little brit might have hit the nail on the head, off the deck versus off the tee can result in different lengths.

Another thing that this excercise has brought up is that I hit my woods (and long irons) the same as I would with my mid/short irons, which may actually be bringing me up short. I will probably try to use less wrist cock with these clubs to see if a shallower angle of attack will result in more roll and less back spin. Things for next year.
    Back at it.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Now I've played with both of you guys. John, I'd have to say your average drive is more than 270, 300, probably not, but definately more than 270.

And hoolio, I'd say the same thing, but I have seen you launch wedges a mile. I'm fairly long with my irons and I've played with you on days where you were hitting one to two clubs less than me (my 6 to your 8).

Not sure if you guys realize how far you hit the ball, but I have yet to play with anyone that can hit the ball on average as long as you guys.
    It's possible that we are too modest, but it's entirely more likely that your memory retains more of the awesome shots and blanks out alot of the mediocre/average shots.

I'd be willing to say that on a good day with the driver, I'd be around 270-275. That seems acceptable to me, because I don't play courses very often where you get that 10-15 yards roll that you see the pro's getting. Some of that may be my fault because I hit the ball rather high at times, plus the ball doesn't roll very far in the rough.

As far as hitting two clubs less, well that only counts if the ball goes the same distance. If you are pin high and I'm at the front of the green, then I didn't actually hit two clubs more.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Here you go.

I have included both indio and myself to the chart.

Let me know how close it is to your actual yardages. If it is like everybody else it may be slightly off on the woods and wedges.

Charles
    Actually, I fit right in there between Brit and Hacker..... there you go Hacker, an Indio Sandwich I think I hit every wood in my bag except the drive 200 yards! from the 3 to the 9W The driver between 215 and 240 (240 on a real good day)

But what to hell, I enjoy the game, I am always in the 80's and even manage to get some games in the mid to high 70's so I guess I can whine but not complain
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Did he mean "me" in that chart?? Because I'm worse than the average Hacker, that's why I'm just plain old Hacker

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Actually, I fit right in there between Brit and Hacker..... there you go Hacker, an Indio Sandwich
    I don't want to speak on Brit's behalf, but if she's up for it I'll try anything once

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Did he mean "me" in that chart?? Because I'm worse than the average Hacker, that's why I'm just plain old Hacker
    I made that assumption......

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Actually, I fit right in there between Brit and Hacker..... there you go Hacker, an Indio Sandwich I think I hit every wood in my bag except the drive 200 yards! from the 3 to the 9W The driver between 215 and 240 (240 on a real good day)

But what to hell, I enjoy the game, I am always in the 80's and even manage to get some games in the mid to high 70's so I guess I can whine but not complain
    I based your estimate on one of your earlier posts where you stated 4iron for 170yds, but maybe I miss read it.
    Back at it.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I don't want to speak on Brit's behalf, but if she's up for it I'll try anything once

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Sorry buddy, somehow I think Brit's response means not an ice cubes chance in hell is she gonna try it!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i wanna know the 3 guys that picked 8iron!! thats BIIIG

Quote Originally Posted by starvingstudent View Post
    i wanna know the 3 guys that picked 8iron!! thats BIIIG
    Based on written responses:
    John
    Daft_driver
    Thunder
    Back at it.

2 Iron Solo II guy is on a distinguished road
    I've seen Daft_driver hit the green in one on the Par4 with no wind at Nation #9

4 Iron Ditty_72 is on a distinguished road
    6 iron goes about 165-170, so i'd pick that. It's 29* though.

babym0use
    170 is an in between distance best covered by a 6 iron . A 4 hybrid can be used but only if the shot is against the wind . Easy way out shot is to use a four iron with a half swing and just punch the shot towards the direction of the pin.. More contoll plus less chances of draws or fade .

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    depends if its better to be short or long...if its equal then I would go for a nice 3/4 6iron

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Old school lofted 6i, not too hard. 7i tops out pushing 165 when I'm hitting them solid. 170 is a stretch, I'd have to be in the zone and have a good reason. Of course I'm pretty good at justifying any retarded hero club selection once I set foot on the course lol.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    Old school lofted 6i, not too hard. 7i tops out pushing 165 when I'm hitting them solid. 170 is a stretch, I'd have to be in the zone and have a good reason. Of course I'm pretty good at justifying any retarded hero club selection once I set foot on the course lol.

Now that's funny! Welcome to the club!
    SH

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Best sweetest shots for me are the ones when I take one more club than I think I should be taking. When I do I take the club back slowly unconsciously because iIthink I have too much club. I usually end up real close to the pin and have a very well balanced finish.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    My swing has changed since first voting for this poll. I can now hit a 6i 170 yards without too much muscle.

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Gotta change my vote. Now it's more like a 7i shot.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    My swing has changed since first voting for this poll. I can now hit a 6i 170 yards without too much muscle.
    New swing or new 6i???

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Both; my good man. Both.
    But mostly the swing. I was not holding my right wrisyt angle through impact. Now I am able to hold it better. All thanks to Mr. Gregg Foley.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    New swing or new 6i???

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Both; my good man. Both.
    But mostly the swing. I was not holding my right wrisyt angle through impact. Now I am able to hold it better. All thanks to Mr. Gregg Foley.
    Nice! Been working on the same thing, although without adult supervision.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Both; my good man. Both.
    Greg is a great instructor. Curious what drill did Greg have you do to hold the right wrist angle through impact and stop the "flipping motion"?
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hybrid Riddell is on a distinguished road
    8 iron

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    I like the topic of this thread. To be honest, I didn't read any of the first 4 pages of it but 170 yards is a really hard distance to pick a club for. To me, it's an automatic 6 iron but it all depends on the shot I'm playing. I'll use anything from a 5 wood to an 8 iron stinger for this.

To me, 170 is the absolute hardest range to hit since you have so many options. EVERYTHING around the green is in play and you have only one shot at it. I have no problems with punching a 5 iron as opposed to powering a 6 or 7 iron, depending on the pin.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Could hit 8 but a controlled 7 is a better bet.

Thread Information