CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Will the Leafs make any changes in management?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - They will not make any management moves

5 25.00%
  • yes - Both GM & Coach will be gone

5 25.00%
  • yes - JFJ is history before trade deadline

3 15.00%
  • yes - JFJ will replace the coach

0 0%
  • yes- First the GM - then a new coach of the GM's choice

7 35.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Leafs - Who goes first?

Can't sleep so I was flicking through the sports channels overnight and I found one never ending theme playing! All the Toronto media sports shows were discussing who would go first, the GM or the coach.

Well, what do you guys think? Who will they sack first if anyone?

I have a feeling tht if they lose a few more 'stinkers' Ferguson will be replaced and the new GM that comes in will have a look at the coach and if he thinks it will give the team a shot in the arm, he will bring someone of his own choice in to take the reins or the new GM might be foolish enough to take the coaching job on until year end.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I agree with you Bob, Jr. goes first and the new GM will bring in his own man

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I agree with you guys that JFJ has to go and I would like to see JFJ gone and a new coach brought in. I am not so sure anything will happen though. After two losing seasons the MLSE did nothing in managment. I hope this year will be different and I hope they do it soon.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I honestly believe that JFJ will go, but Maurice will ultimately stay. Maurice is an excellent coach who was left with making the most of the "LOFT" that was dealt to him. It's not going to get any easier for him with both ends of the San Jose connection now out of the lineup (although Toskala may play tonight).

I had to laugh at your "JFJ behind the bench option". I think the only time he's ever been back there was when his old man was coaching the Rangers back in the mid 70's.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I honestly believe that JFJ will go, but Maurice will ultimately stay. Maurice is an excellent coach who was left with making the most of the "LOFT" that was dealt to him. It's not going to get any easier for him with both ends of the San Jose connection now out of the lineup (although Toskala may play tonight).

I had to laugh at your "JFJ behind the bench option". I think the only time he's ever been back there was when his old man was coaching the Rangers back in the mid 70's.
    As soon as I posted that, I knew someone would misunderstand I mean that JFJ would fire Maurice and hire another coach.... there is no way even an Idiot like me would even thin JFJ would go behind the bench!

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    You know what cheering section I come from, and I will not be happier than when I see JFJ gone. Think of how happy you guys will be if the Sens win the Cup. Now multiply that by 10 lol.

I really don't think Paul Maurice is a problem. I invite you to look at the situation with the Raptors. Colangelo gave Sam Mitchell a chance. Colangelo realized what Mitchell had to work with. Colangelo shook up the boat and didn't go out and nab as many stars as he could. He got role players. Currently the team is underachieving, but they are a team and Sam Mitchell was coach of the year last year in January I think, when they were ready to throw him out the door the year before.

I think Maurice is in the same boat. I like how he handles the Toronto media, he doesn't take a lot of garbage, but he's not a jerk about it like Barry Bonds lol. I think Maurice is a good coach. Maybe not one of the elite, legendary coaches like Bowman or Keenan, but for the Toronto market I think he's a great fit.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    As soon as I posted that, I knew someone would misunderstand I mean that JFJ would fire Maurice and hire another coach.... there is no way even an Idiot like me would even thin JFJ would go behind the bench!
    I doubt that with the situation there right now that JFJ is even allowed to order so much as a large double-double without permission from the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    You know what cheering section I come from, and I will not be happier than when I see JFJ gone. Think of how happy you guys will be if the Sens win the Cup. Now multiply that by 10 lol.

I really don't think Paul Maurice is a problem. I invite you to look at the situation with the Raptors. Colangelo gave Sam Mitchell a chance. Colangelo realized what Mitchell had to work with. Colangelo shook up the boat and didn't go out and nab as many stars as he could. He got role players. Currently the team is underachieving, but they are a team and Sam Mitchell was coach of the year last year in January I think, when they were ready to throw him out the door the year before.

I think Maurice is in the same boat. I like how he handles the Toronto media, he doesn't take a lot of garbage, but he's not a jerk about it like Barry Bonds lol. I think Maurice is a good coach. Maybe not one of the elite, legendary coaches like Bowman or Keenan, but for the Toronto market I think he's a great fit.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Yeah, but the situation is reversed somewhat. Colangelo is a proven administrator who helped build Phoenix into a powerhouse before coming to Toronto, and Mitchell is the rookie coach. That is a great place to be for Mitchell. BC wheels and deals, and brings in some great talent, and Mitchell works with them on the floor. JFJ has done nothing to significantly improve the roster from the mess that was left to him by Quinn and guys before him. Meanwhile, a great coach like Maurice is stuck with trying to hold together what he inherited with "baling wire and spit".

Unfortunately, just like cream, sh** also floats to the top...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    The way the leafs work its anyone's quess.JFJ should go and put a intern GM in for the rest of the season and see whats available in the off season.Maurice will depend on who the next GM is.They should get rid of the upper management as well as JFJ.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I was very excited when Maurice replaced Quinn however I am losing faith quickly.....The team that Toronto has on the ice right now is not GREAT but they are certainly better then they have been playing. They need a coach who can motivate them for a whole 60 min to play like the first period against the Pens the other night. Also what is with Wozniewski? This guy is awful IMO. He cannot get the idea of not clearing the puck through the middle of the ice and Maurice plays him on the PK.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

I don't understand how the phrase 'Great Coach' and the name Paul Maurice go together in the same sentence.....unless it goes something like 'At the awards dinner Toronto Maple Leaf coach Paul Maurice was sitting next to Scotty Bowman, a great coach who is now retired.'

Come on guys Maurice's NHL coaching record is right around .400 - that might be great for the Leafs but it certainly isn't nearly close to being worthy of the 'Great' tag

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Nobody could make winners out of the leafs group of players. It's that simple. Ferguson needs to go. Maurice deserves a chance with some real players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I don't understand how the phrase 'Great Coach' and the name Paul Maurice go together in the same sentence.....unless it goes something like 'At the awards dinner Toronto Maple Leaf coach Paul Maurice was sitting next to Scotty Bowman, a great coach who is now retired.'

Come on guys Maurice's NHL coaching record is right around .400 - that might be great for the Leafs but it certainly isn't nearly close to being worthy of the 'Great' tag
    Isn't that right around Paddock's career percentage? That doesn't change the fact that he's still a great coach. He's just had the benefit of inheriting an already great team, that was brought along by the likes of Nielson, Martin, and Murray. Maurice was instrumental in helping build Carolina into a contender, but he's inherited a fat, arthritic, old pig, that's blind in one eye. I'd say he's done a great job so far with what he's been dealt.

Isn't that right around Paddock's career percentage?
    You certainly won't hear me call Paddock a great coach - I have issues with him to be sure

The 'Cains were still a good team when Maurice was fired, I'm having problems seeing anything that he's done that would leave me to believe that his a great coach.....personally I think that he fancies himself to be a stand-up comic

You certainly won't hear me call Paddock a great coach - I have issues with him to be sure

The 'Cains were still a good team when Maurice was fired, I'm having problems seeing anything that he's done that would leave me to believe that his a great coach.....personally I think that he fancies himself to be a stand-up comic
    Dude, you gotta have a sense of humour if you're going to coach in Toronto. It's the only way to keep the media from eating you alive.

Dude, you gotta have a sense of humour if you're going to coach in Toronto. It's the only way to keep the media from eating you alive.
    I agree, but you have to be serious at some point - and the way that the Leafs keep blowing games in the final minutes of games I think that a good 'eating alive' is well over due

Another huge part of the problem is that there's a ton of money tied up in salaries for at least the next 2 years, on players that are not anywhere near worth it, and nobody else wants at those prices.

Tucker - $9M over the next 3 years
    Ponikarovsky - $5M over the next 2
    McCabe - $14M over the next 3
    Kubina - $10M over the next 2
    Gill - $2.1M next year
    (glass knees) Coliaicovo - $2.8M over the next 2
    Raycroft - $2.2M next year

And, with the exception of Sundin, no signifcant UFA's at the end of this season.

It's gonna get worse before it potentially gets better...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    JF goes first.
    As my doctor said about Maurice, and he is a die hard Leafs Fan
    "He can't make Chicken Soup out of Chicken S**T"

The coach can only work with what the GM gives him, and that ain't much right now! 60 shots on net last night against Phillie and they lose the game. I know the goalie made some good saves but come on, 60 shots and only 2 goals? There had to be some quality rebounds there and apparently there were no Leafs hanging around to bang them in the back of the net.

After last nights slaughter by the DUCKS I would say the Leafs should start at the blueline and work forward when it comes to getting rid of bodies!

I hope Sundin comes to his senses before the trade deadline and gets out of The Big Joke and to a team where he has a shot at the Cup. He is the only player I feel sorry for on that sad sack hockey team.

Now with that, they'll likely beat my Sharks on Saturday night. At least I won't be around to watch it unless the condo in Ft Lauderdale beams in CBC!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I would not want to be in Toronto if the Kings beat the Leafs someone will get 'lynched'

I would not want to be in Toronto if the Kings beat the Leafs someone will get 'lynched'
    Dan i think Indio should be suspended for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    Dan i think Indio should be suspended for 2 weeks.
    He would have to send me to Hawaii to make sure it was an equitable suspension or I would claim discrimination

(besides, its the cheap drugs I am on that made me say that!)

He would have to send me to Hawaii to make sure it was an equitable suspension or I would claim discrimination

(besides, its the cheap drugs I am on that made me say that!)
    I'll go to Hawaii with you to make sure you don't cause anymore trouble.What was the excuse before the cheap drugs

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    I'll go to Hawaii with you to make sure you don't cause anymore trouble.What was the excuse before the cheap drugs
    I was dropped on my head by my mother and my older brothers always beat the crap out of me..... well, that and I am a natural born idiot I guess

Someone's gonna be taken out to the woodshed soon in the Big Smoke

Someone's gonna be taken out to the woodshed soon in the Big Smoke
    Believe it or not, I am starting to feel sorry for Leaf's fans No sports fan should have to go through the ineptness of what management is doing to that team.

Believe it or not, I am starting to feel sorry for Leaf's fans No sports fan should have to go through the ineptness of what management is doing to that team.
    Are you mellowing on us Bob?!?

Rule #1-B states...........

"Thou shalt NEVER feel sorry for the Leafs or a Leafs fan.....they deserve everything that they get"

"Thou shalt NEVER feel sorry for the Leafs or a Leafs fan.....they deserve everything that they get"
    Bob and mellow does not go in the same sentence!

But Fallys is a nice guy to play golf with and geeze..... Poor guy is getting married soon and now he is getting his ass handed to him on a platter this year by the Laughs

The sad thing about the fans that attend games at ACC. The Leafs could lose all of these road games. come back to play a game in the Big Smoke and the ACC will be packed. How much abuse can they take from the management team that is attempting to run this hockey team?

Of course it is all about the money for the management team. Damn the fans, let's make CASH.

The talk about firing JFJ. What is the point really? Who in their right hockey mind would want to step into that big pile of poop in Toronto?

If Sundin does not demand a trade this time around I will no longer feel sorry for him. If he honestly feels he can lead that bunch of sad sack players into the playoffs then maybe he has taken too many shots to the head. His dream of winning a Stanley Cup with the Leafs is like my dream of winning THE MASTERS. Just ain't going to happen in my lifetime and it will not happen in Matts time with the Leafs.

HEY MAYBE NEXT YEAR
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I would hate to see the definition of Rule #1-A

I would hate to see the definition of Rule #1-A

Rule 1-A is the most basic of all rules. It simply states............

"The Leafs SUCK!!!"

Thread Information