100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I take nothing away from Spain's win. They were technically and tactically the best team in South Africa (and Germany were excellent too).

However....I have watched every World Cup pretty seriously since 1978 and overall this was a poor World Cup....the worst since Italia 1990 (and maybe even worse than that)

The standard of play was poor, England, Italy, France and Portugal were all average or worse. The Dutch were outragous in the Final. The level of gamesmanship and referee intimidation has sunk to an all time low I believe. As an example, the winning goal in the final was beautifully taken, but immediately the Dutch, as they had all game, crowded the referee and assistant referee believing Iniesta was offside. He was not, it was an excellent decision under huge pressure by the official. The intimidation of officials now is appalling and should not be tolerated. I don't mean to preach, but if I, or any player, swore abusively at a ref or rushed and crowded a ref in Rugby, we would be sent off...immediately, every time...result....it is very rare that you see that kind of behaviour.

Why Football tolerates it is beyond me. I agree with nokids, Football is a beautiful game, the world's game, a game that brings people from every corner of the globe together like no other BUT..it could use this power to promote fair play and honesty way more than it does and stamp out what is, when all is said and done, cheating.

I actually take my hat off to the officials. Their were mistakes of course, but the number of times they got close calls under huge pressure correct was I think amazing.....they should be helped by technology, they have a tough enough job as it is.

Lastly, although I bet on the Dutch, by the end of the game I was actually praying for a Spanish goal, because if it had gone to PKs and Holland won, Football would have been a real loser

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Now, fundonny, where's that beer becuase I have no idea about NFL and need an education..lol

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I take nothing away from Spain's win. They were technically and tactically the best team in South Africa (and Germany were excellent too).

However....I have watched every World Cup pretty seriously since 1978 and overall this was a poor World Cup....the worst since Italia 1990 (and maybe even worse than that)

The standard of play was poor, England, Italy, France and Portugal were all average or worse. The Dutch were outragous in the Final. The level of gamesmanship and referee intimidation has sunk to an all time low I believe. As an example, the winning goal in the final was beautifully taken, but immediately the Dutch, as they had all game, crowded the referee and assistant referee believing Iniesta was offside. He was not, it was an excellent decision under huge pressure by the official. The intimidation of officials now is appalling and should not be tolerated. I don't mean to preach, but if I, or any player, swore abusively at a ref or rushed and crowded a ref in Rugby, we would be sent off...immediately, every time...result....it is very rare that you see that kind of behaviour.

Why Football tolerates it is beyond me. I agree with nokids, Football is a beautiful game, the world's game, a game that brings people from every corner of the globe together like no other BUT..it could use this power to promote fair play and honesty way more than it does and stamp out what is, when all is said and done, cheating.

I actually take my hat off to the officials. Their were mistakes of course, but the number of times they got close calls under huge pressure correct was I think amazing.....they should be helped by technology, they have a tough enough job as it is.

Lastly, although I bet on the Dutch, by the end of the game I was actually praying for a Spanish goal, because if it had gone to PKs and Holland won, Football would have been a real loser
    Two thumbs up!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information