100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harrington

Hybrid View

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. Imagine if fans could call the NHL, NBA and NFL whenever a ref miss a call.
    Pointless comparison mate...those sports (along with a host of others) do absolutely nothing to uphold the integrity of the rules...In fact, many involved in those sports go out of their way to circumvent the rules and get away with whatever they can. They are also of a completely different nature to golf. Most sports (like those you name) are fast moving and continuous. Golf, by its very nature of being slow, stop start and with a score not tallied till the end lends itself much more to scrutiny.

Personally, while I often feel sympathy for the players involved I have absolutely no problem with spectators, fellow players, TV viewers etc calling in infractions. It makes no difference to the facts...a rule was broken or it wasn't.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Personally, while I often feel sympathy for the players involved I have absolutely no problem with spectators, fellow players, TV viewers etc calling in infractions. It makes no difference to the facts...a rule was broken or it wasn't.
    Well said.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Pointless comparison mate...those sports (along with a host of others) do absolutely nothing to uphold the integrity of the rules...In fact, many involved in those sports go out of their way to circumvent the rules and get away with whatever they can. They are also of a completely different nature to golf. Most sports (like those you name) are fast moving and continuous. Golf, by its very nature of being slow, stop start and with a score not tallied till the end lends itself much more to scrutiny.

Again, you can compare golf to other sports if you let fans/spectators call infractions. And are you trying to tell me there aren't some golfers out there checking over their shoulder before they try to circumvent a rule??? Regardless of the "nature" of the game, this is these guy's livelyhood, they are professionals and in no way should Joe Public have any influence on the outcome of any tournament. Put a RO/Referee with every group who has the ability to call infractions and make a player aware of it so we don't have these ridiculous post-round disqualifications.

BTW, all professional athletes are supposed to know the rules to which sport they are playing, but they still have referees......something to think about.

**I know I said I was done, but I just had to**
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information