6 2.10%
  • Been fitted

139 48.60%
  • Planning on doing so in the future

75 26.22%
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    I am a huge believer in being properly fit for everything including set make up...but I'll toss this out for discussion.

1. with the high handicapper and or beginner who cannot swing consistently from one swing to the next....are you really doing them a service with a detailed fitting for lie angles ?

2. people with excellent hand eye co-orrdination and athletic ability can adapt and play well with pretty much anything.....this is not about me but will use myself as an example, I am very athletic and play and have have played multiple sports......I am a 6 handicap and play custom fitted irons that are typically, -1/4 and 2* flat

However, in recent years I have shot rounds in the low 70's using my wifes off the shelf ladies irons ( c7, -1/2 and whippy flex) irons that were 2* up and 3/4 inches long and irons that were 3* up and 1/2 inch long........I have also witnessed a club pro shoot even par 72 using a set of 9 year olds clubs

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Hahaha I have read all the posts in this thread and am still confused as to which helps more, the lessons or the fitting. I can sympatize with Indio as I seem to have alot of the same problems. I am not a great distance hitter, and the harder I try to hit the ball the more wrong it goes. I have taken a few lessons, but as someone mentioned, I felt that I was being showed the way people should be swinging not the way that I could swing, and since I have back and neck problems some of the normal ways of swinging just don't work for me. I am not a great player but each year my scores come down, I have realized this year that maybe concentrating on my short game may put me to where I want to be more than trying to gain distance. I have never been fitted, but have used those stickers on my clubs that tell you where the ball hits the club and they seem to help. As far as more lessons, might consider them, but need a teacher that will watch what I do and help me with what I have , not drastically want to change everything I am doing. I think practising and is the best thing we can do, whether we are playing with a custom set or a set we have adapted to. I do understand the theory of golf and the theory of how to do it all right, but the theory and practical are hard to put together as one!!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think page 93 of the February issue of Golf Magazine sums it up best. John Spelman, director of golf at Richland Country Club in Nashville and a former Ping Club Fitter of the Year said in reply to being asked if custom fitting a magic bullet:

"No, it's just another tool to try to improve ball flight. But I don't give a lesson without commenting on my student's clubs. Really, it's to the point where you can't custom fit without teaching and you can't teach without custom fitting."

And I agree, there really is no right or wrong answer as to how to approach this. They both go hand in hand.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
    However, in recent years I have shot rounds in the low 70's using my wifes off the shelf ladies irons ( c7, -1/2 and whippy flex) irons that were 2* up and 3/4 inches long and irons that were 3* up and 1/2 inch long........I have also witnessed a club pro shoot even par 72 using a set of 9 year olds clubs
    I know you are a believer but let me add this ...

Clubs properly fit with progressive yardage gaps between each club will increase the probability of shooting low rounds. On 9 holes using just a single club [7-iron] my son has shot a '39'. Now with 13 more clubs he has shot '30' on several occasions. Even club pro's can shoot a low number but can they do it all the time?

A great set that performs for the golfer or pro will increase their probability of having a ton more birdie or par opportunities. Given enough games even a hacker can put together 1 decent round with ill fitted equipment, but s/he can't do it on a regular basis.
    Kind regards, Harry

Thread Information