CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not buying this at all. The reason is strictly to maintain a competitive advantage over the visiting clubs by making them play a totally new course that they have likely never seen before (because its a private course, after all). Depending on the course this could be a slight advantage or a big advantage, but it is an advantage none the less...

... and yes, I agree that it is certainly poor sportsmanship. And the fact that more private clubs are doing this does not make it any less so.
    Well, if anyone feels it’s such a disadvantage connect with a member, set up a game, pay the green fee and play the practice round.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Well, if anyone feels it’s such a disadvantage connect with a member, set up a game, pay the green fee and play the practice round.
    But that’s never been the way to play a round at a host club, historically!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    But that’s never been the way to play a round at a host club, historically!!
    Unprecedented times. Golf was dying two years ago, now it’s thriving. Initiation fee has doubled and there is talk that it will triple. And yet the wait list continues to grow. Used to be afternoons were completely dead, now the sheet is nearly full. Giving up 9 spots wouldn’t be an easy sell. We’ve already accommodated the Tunis and hosted Men’s A class intersectional matches. Club events that are huge earners like member guest and beef and greens were cancelled. So no, this has nothing to do with trying to gain an advantage in a senior match, it’s about an unprecedented demand. I cannot speak for other private courses but this is what I’m seeing.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Unprecedented times. Golf was dying two years ago, now it’s thriving. Initiation fee has doubled and there is talk that it will triple. And yet the wait list continues to grow. Used to be afternoons were completely dead, now the sheet is nearly full. Giving up 9 spots wouldn’t be an easy sell. We’ve already accommodated the Tunis and hosted Men’s A class intersectional matches. Club events that are huge earners like member guest and beef and greens were cancelled. So no, this has nothing to do with trying to gain an advantage in a senior match, it’s about an unprecedented demand. I cannot speak for other private courses but this is what I’m seeing.
    Golf has thrived and had its lulls over the years, but a constant in the Ottawa area has been the Intersectional and hosting clubs offering up practice rounds to the competition. Like people have said, over the course of a few weeks/months, offering up the historical practice rounds would have a negligible impact on the bottom line if golf is thriving, as you claim.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information