CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Dan, Mike and Lyle walk down the fairway of a par 4 in search of their golf balls. Dan and Lyle find theirs but Mike cannot find his. After a 5 minute search, Mike walks back to the tee and hits a ball. When he walks up to the ball, he finds that it is his ORIGINAL ball. What is the ruling?
    I am only guessing but I would say he can not play that ball and he has to find his 2nd ball or go back to the tee hitting 5. Had he hit a provisional in the first place, he would have been able to play the original since he found it and doesn't have to worry about finding the provisional.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Bob, I think that he cannot play the original ball, since it was deemed lost when it was not found within the 5 minutes allowed to find it. Rule 27 and the definition of a "lost ball" in Definitions section would govern this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I am only guessing but I would say he can not play that ball and he has to find his 2nd ball or go back to the tee hitting 5. Had he hit a provisional in the first place, he would have been able to play the original since he found it and doesn't have to worry about finding the provisional.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Bob, I think that he cannot play the original ball, since it was deemed lost when it was not found within the 5 minutes allowed to find it. Rule 27 and the definition of a "lost ball" in Definitions section would govern this situation.
    Mike, that is what I am trying to say but obviously not very well

He would only be able to play the original ball had he hit a provisional, which he did not.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Rule 27-1 c..
    c. Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes
    If a ball is lost as a result of not being found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player's Side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Thread Information