100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Phaneuf should be mad..

With the withdrawl of Niedermayer and Jovo, Team Canada had a chance to get it right. But once again they dropped the ball. With Bowmeester and Dan Boyle named as replacements, not too sure if Canada actually bettered themselves. Only Boyle has comparable stats to Phaneuf. Bowmeester still hasn't scored yet this year I believe and from all sources prior to the naming of Team Canada, wasn't having a good year. Once again loyalty wins out over talent/potential. Not to say that these two guys are bad players but I think this year they are both being outplayed by a rookie who deserves a shot.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I agree with you on the fact that Phaneuf should have been named to the taxi squad instead of Boyle, but don't agree with your evaluation of why he should be there.

By your assessment, Crosby should be there over the following players:

Richards, Sakic, Bertuzzi and Lecavalier! There is a reason why they don't pick teams based on only one season, experience counts.

Marc Savard is the second leading point getter among Canadian players, but his name was not even mentioned when talking about Team Canada. 4 of the top 6 Canadian point getters arent' on the team (Savard, Staal, Tanguay and Crosby).

Boyle is having a good year this year, he has more points than Phaneuf and has played on World Championship teams i believe.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    I agree with you on the fact that Phaneuf should have been named to the taxi squad instead of Boyle, but don't agree with your evaluation of why he should be there.

By your assessment, Crosby should be there over the following players:

Richards, Sakic, Bertuzzi and Lecavalier! There is a reason why they don't pick teams based on only one season, experience counts.

Marc Savard is the second leading point getter among Canadian players, but his name was not even mentioned when talking about Team Canada. 4 of the top 6 Canadian point getters arent' on the team (Savard, Staal, Tanguay and Crosby).

Boyle is having a good year this year, he has more points than Phaneuf and has played on World Championship teams i believe.

well, crosby should be there over richards and bertuzzi. Bertuzzi just plain sucks this year. I hate the fact that they brought that entire Tampa line, simply because they play together....only lecavelier (if even him) deserves to be on this team, out of the 3.

Savard has great stats, but look at the line he's playing with...hossa and kovalchuk. He is a great player, but his points alone don't warrant a spot. Tanguay is extremely underrated, and I wish they'd put him on the team.

I am still baffled at the fact they left Staal off the team...its just ridiculous, and that's all that needs to be said

I have no problem with the Boyle selection either, but do agree that Phaneuf should be in there...he's going to be the top defenceman in the league for years to come, and is up there this year

Canada are still the favourites, but it just looks way too much like Nagano today...so many "grizzled veterans" that haven't been playing that well this year. I would, however, have like to see Shanny on there...he IS a grizzled veteran, and he IS having a great year

I agree with many of your opinions jonf. I was only using stats as a starting point of comparisons. But from everyone I listen to Phaneuf is having a better year than the replacement players chosen. I didn't expect him to be playing, but at the very least I thougt he would have been named to the taxi squad. I have that same Nagano feeling as you jon. Oh well, I guess only time will tell if the right decisions were made.

GO CANADA GO!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    With the withdrawl of Niedermayer and Jovo, Team Canada had a chance to get it right. But once again they dropped the ball. With Bowmeester and Dan Boyle named as replacements, not too sure if Canada actually bettered themselves. Only Boyle has comparable stats to Phaneuf. Bowmeester still hasn't scored yet this year I believe and from all sources prior to the naming of Team Canada, wasn't having a good year. Once again loyalty wins out over talent/potential. Not to say that these two guys are bad players but I think this year they are both being outplayed by a rookie who deserves a shot.
    Personally, I could not agree with you more. I mentioned this in a previous post when the team was first announced. Phaneuf should be there for sure. He has so much talent and I don't think there are many players that play with as much intensity as him. And it's not like he's totally inexperienced. He's a smart defensmen that has shown a lot more maturity on the ice than his years. He hits hard and I think he would have that presence on the ice that would have opposition forwards thinking twice about putting their head down for just a second. Perfect for the first shift of the game to set the tone, or when Canada needs a bit of a "pick-me-up". But like you said, loyalty wins out over giving a kid a shot.

Andru
    Sorry Guys I know you like a good hockey debate, but I have a feeling team canada and the coaching staff know what they're doing. Pheneuf has half an NHL season under his belt. He's never played in the NHL playoffs. You don't know how he's going to react. Unfortunately for him. The Olympics is hit or miss. There's no second chances. You can't take a chance on an unproven rookie.

They need a group of guys to get together and gel quickly. Taking experienced vets especially on defense is important. He'll be in Vancouver in 2010 and so will Crosby. It's not just loyalty, it's a smart management. If they had say 2 weeks of practice and 3 exhibition games then they probably take DP and SC.

The formula to success ( and you can use the sens as an example ) is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Sorry Guys I know you like a good hockey debate, but I have a feeling team canada and the coaching staff know what they're doing. Pheneuf has half an NHL season under his belt. He's never played in the NHL playoffs. You don't know how he's going to react. Unfortunately for him. The Olympics is hit or miss. There's no second chances. You can't take a chance on an unproven rookie.

They need a group of guys to get together and gel quickly. Taking experienced vets especially on defense is important. He'll be in Vancouver in 2010 and so will Crosby. It's not just loyalty, it's a smart management. If they had say 2 weeks of practice and 3 exhibition games then they probably take DP and SC.

Are you not contradicting yourself. First you say the Olympics are hit or miss and with weeks of practice and exhibition games then Phaneuf would probably be there. That they need a group of players to get togther and gel quickly. But then you say patience is the formula for success. Well which one is it.

And for me, if you are not sure how the kid is going to react, put him on the taxi squad. That would have been fine with me. I didn't expect him to be playing. But seeing he is going to be a staple for future Team Canadas, put him on the squad to get him accustomed to the experience. I think they could have done the same with Crosby. That's why Staal and Spezza are on the taxi squad. For the experience. Just my two cents.

Andru
    Are you not contradicting yourself. First you say the Olympics are hit or miss and with weeks of practice and exhibition games then Phaneuf would probably be there. That they need a group of players to get togther and gel quickly. But then you say patience is the formula for success. Well which one is it.

And for me, if you are not sure how the kid is going to react, put him on the taxi squad. That would have been fine with me. I didn't expect him to be playing. But seeing he is going to be a staple for future Team Canadas, put him on the squad to get him accustomed to the experience. I think they could have done the same with Crosby. That's why Staal and Spezza are on the taxi squad. For the experience. Just my two cents.
    What are you talking about Geoff? No I'm not contradicting myself.

If they had time to have a camp and evaluate them under pressure then the decision could be different. In this case there's NO camp. All they have is the regular season and past performance. That's the "hit or miss part". You go with tested and proven. That's what they did in salt lake and they brought back a gold medal.

You think adding phaneuf to the taxi squad is really going to change anything, it's not, he's a rookie. Let him experience his 1st playoff run. and maybe a second season. Like I said he'll be there in Vancouver. That's the patience part.

Staal and Spezza are on the taxi squad because if any of the forwards went down they'd be the first to be called up. You can hide a forward more than a defenseman different jobs. Spezza and staal are in the top 10 in scoring hard to ignore these guys as well.

The Olympics is hit or miss. There's no second chances. You can't take a chance on an unproven rookie.

They need a group of guys to get together and gel quickly. If they had say 2 weeks of practice and 3 exhibition games then they probably take DP and SC.

You must be talking about two different things then. Just clearing up what you meant.

I'm assuming the patience remark is dedicated at the long term career of Phaneuf then. That's what I meant by contradicting. We were talking about Team Canada any you mentioned the need for players to gel quickly, then state patience is the key to success. Just trying to make sense of what you were trying to say.

Taking experienced vets especially on defense is important.
    That's why they took bouwmeester, right? Because he's got so much playoff and olympic experience?

Bouwmester is at least had some World Championship experience. I am all for Phaneuf being on the team, but even a little experience is better than none!

I knew someone was going to throw that in there. I'm sorry, but a couple of world championships is not enough experience to warrant putting bouwmester ahead of phaneuf. Bouwmeester has 27 points and a -6 rating. Phaneuf has 37 points and a +4 rating. Two world championships does NOT make up for that difference in stats

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I knew someone was going to throw that in there. I'm sorry, but a couple of world championships is not enough experience to warrant putting bouwmester ahead of phaneuf. Bouwmeester has 27 points and a -6 rating. Phaneuf has 37 points and a +4 rating. Two world championships does NOT make up for that difference in stats
    LOL. You're hilarious man. What are you his agent or something. There's more to this than statistics. If statistics were everything, the Captain of the senators should be playing in Sweden.

Stats are not everything and the thing that kills me is you're a Canadian you know there's more to a hockey player's contribution to a team than his stats, you know a good player can be in a bad situation and his stats will suffer, but given the chance to play on a better team he'll fufill his potential.

They've (Team Canada Management ) seen JB live and on tape. They've reviewed his international play at the world Championships. They made the choice for a reason. Until you can honestly say you've put in the work, then your opinion boils down to you grabbing the Tues paper and making decisions from the stat sheet.

I've seen your posts on Hockey you know better man.

I would have to vote for Boyle on the team and JB on the taxi squad based on your reasoning Andru. Boyle has been on the World Championship teams and by all means seems to be having a better season than JB, statistic wise and in general consensus. This is all opinionated. Nobody is correct, nobody is wrong. A valid case could be made for everyone. What about Scott Hannan? From all accounts he has steadily improved his play all season. The real test will be Monday, although Italy really doesn't count, as our ladies proved today.

But like someone previously stated I have that Nagano feeling. I just don't have that Gold Medal feeling. Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard Canadian hockey fan but a little hesitant on proclaiming us a favourite for the top spot on the podium.

Good luck guys.

To thread crap for a second, i am so happy for the Canadian Women's team!! 16-0, one of my friends is on the team and got her first ever Olympic goal, Katie Weatherston! She's one of the young guns that will represent the team for the next 3-4 olymics, she's only 22.

Good for her. Is she local from here Dave or from where you grew up? Canada really put the boots to the Italians today. I heard they outshot them 66-5 or something crazy like that. Its too bad there aren't more hockey powers in the women's ranks. I'm sure over time the other countries will catch up but it will be a while yet judging by the outcome today.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Although I have been a Canucks fan, I was very surprised that Bertuzzi made the Canadian team. Based on his play this (and past) year, I would have benched him a game or two while he was a Canuck.....and put his line (Naslund and Morrison) into the no. 2 line and move the Sedins and the other bro, Carter, into the no. 1 spot.

Back to the Canadian team, based on the selection of the players, the choice was heavily weighted on the experience, both Olympic and World Championships, rather than this year's play.

Dave

Good for her. Is she local from here Dave or from where you grew up? Canada really put the boots to the Italians today. I heard they outshot them 66-5 or something crazy like that. Its too bad there aren't more hockey powers in the women's ranks. I'm sure over time the other countries will catch up but it will be a while yet judging by the outcome today.
    Ya she is from back home, Thunder Bay. It is a shame that there isnt any real competition. I remember last olympics, they had a goal differential of something crazy like 80-1.

LOL. You're hilarious man. What are you his agent or something. There's more to this than statistics. If statistics were everything, the Captain of the senators should be playing in Sweden.

Stats are not everything and the thing that kills me is you're a Canadian you know there's more to a hockey player's contribution to a team than his stats, you know a good player can be in a bad situation and his stats will suffer, but given the chance to play on a better team he'll fufill his potential.

They've (Team Canada Management ) seen JB live and on tape. They've reviewed his international play at the world Championships. They made the choice for a reason. Until you can honestly say you've put in the work, then your opinion boils down to you grabbing the Tues paper and making decisions from the stat sheet.

I've seen your posts on Hockey you know better man.
    I don't know what the coverage is like back in Ottawa, but we get tonnes of flames games out here, and I can never pass up the opportunity to watch a Flames game - I just love the way they play. I've made this comment before in other threads, but, what the hell, it seems relevant here. Phaneuf is one of the most impressive players I've seen in years, in terms of his on ice intelligence, and his quickness to learn. He was making a lot of bad decisions to start the year, and every time I see him play, he seems to get exponentially better. I'm sure some of it is Sutter's coaching (there's definitely something in the water on that ranch), but Phaneuf plays smarter hockey than a lot of players (redden comes to mind).

On a coaching note, I think i've come up with a new theory to explain the large number of veterans on the team. Pat Quinn hasn't coached anyone under 30 in years...he'd be lost out there

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    On a coaching note, I think i've come up with a new theory to explain the large number of veterans on the team. Pat Quinn hasn't coached anyone under 30 in years...he'd be lost out there
    By George I think he's got it! That's hilarious.

Thread Information