100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar

Good Life Fitness

Hey everyone,

I'm considering joining good life (get in shape for the golf season ) and was wondering if anyone here was already a member.

Just looking for some reviews

Also, are there any members on this board that play Squash @ good life... I love the game and a big part of my decision is based on if I can find people to play with @ the pinecrest location.

Thanks,

Nat

P.S. Are there any fitness places in the area that offer a membership that includes Tennis & Squash w/ a normal gym membership (or for a few extra $$)?

Of course, the Tennis would have to be lighted 'cause I'm not giving up sun light (a.k.a golf) for it

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Goodlife is like a cult; notice all the people working at the front desk. I've only got bad things to say. You can't have a locker; the locker rooms are so small it's almost laughable; it's over crowded; over priced and they havfe all sorts of clauses to keep you locked in and suck every dime they can out of you. I broke free a while ago and since then have been living the goodlife... Just my $0.02.

They actually got sued class action suit for the misinformation in their membership dues and clauses. On the bright side you get a great inspirational book from Patch Evans

On the bright side you get a great inspirational book from Patch Evans
    Is patch Evans the founder? They have a giant picture of the founder in there which I originally mistook for an add for the 40 year old virgin... I swear Steve Carell based the character off that guy

Yeah that's himl; back to the whole cult theme. I know a guy who broke up with his gf after she started working the front desk. Everyhing was "Super, awesome, thats great" he could say "I have terminal brain cancer" and she'd reply in her automatic "That's awesome, I'm so happy for you; keep it up!"

Have you moved to a different Gym?

I'm not set on goodlife, but I am looking for a place, and it has to have Squash (and ideally lit tennis courts, but that would cost me more $$ i'm sure )

If you just want squash and tennis; join one of the tennis / squash clubs... Liek the Rideau Tennis Club; or the Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club. I'm not currently working out but my gf's apartment has facilities which I'll start using when I'm no longer sick.

OAC - Super expensive with old equipment and slimy change rooms. Also if you wanna play tennis indoors it's 30$ a court for like an hour. Ridiculous.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I recently started going to the GoodLife near Hunt Club and I like it. I usually go after 7:30pm and its not very busy and its open 24 hours during the week. I got the corporate rate for $350(including taxes) per year thru work. I wouldn't join at the regular rate...kind of pricey. I have other friends who like the Goodlife too. The only complaint they have is the fee structure...seems like no one pays the same price.

I went to the YMCA in the Merivale Mall last winter and didn't really care for it...kind of run down and tons of kids just fooling around. That's another reason I like the Goodlife...don't know if there is an age limit to join.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS
    Have you moved to a different Gym?

I'm not set on goodlife, but I am looking for a place, and it has to have Squash (and ideally lit tennis courts, but that would cost me more $$ i'm sure )
    The RA Centre on Riverside/Bronson has all the gym equipment you need, plus squash and racquetball courts (extra) plus lighted tennis courts (extra) plus a whole lot more (hockey, curling, swimming, soccer, baseball, badminton, archery, gun range - you name it, they've got it). A little cheaper if you work for the gov't, but open to everyone nevertheless. Worth checking out.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    The good life when I lived in Mississauga, was great, fair pricing, very clean, tons of the stuff most want i.e. treadmills etc.

Moved to Kingston, go to Join at good life, ask girl for prices. Says she can't tell me unless I am corp rate. I am not.
    Says its complicated, needs me to talk to a person.
    Next thing u know, i feel like I am buying a new mazda, and getting the squeeze from a car salesman.
    Starts off with a rate, sounds high, but I know they have good facilities.
    but wait.........
    then comes initiation...oh thats more..
    ..then comes a card...u mean membership doesn't include a card? i ask...no
    ..then comes maintenance fees...
    ...no parking..but theres a $5 lot across rd..uh? extra $5 per visit just 4 parking!!!
    I think u get the picture...what started as $399.99 a yr (fairly high) became..no lie...$700 a yr (oh...forgot gst..slightly more).
    I was furious. Went home looking for better rate, from them or others.

Came across a article talking about their $100,000 fine for misleading ads, said they had promised to clean things up, it was a 2mth old article.

Well considering I went in, based on a kingston paper ad for "under $400 membership!!!". I don't think they have improved.

Would never use them again.
    Cheers, Shark
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    I've been using the GoodLife facilities at the Rideau for the past 2 1/2 years and they have drastically improved the place. New equipment, makeover of the change room and the gym itself. While I find most of the staff pompous and full of themselves I'm not going to the gym to fraternize with them - besides, most staff at any gym are pretty self righteous.

I go at 7:00 in the morning and I RARELY ever wait to get any equipment. I can also use the squash courts at the Pineview location for free. I've been a member of both the OAC and Florida Fitness and both can't compare to the Goodlife membership I have. I have the ability to go to a number of clubs and my wife uses the Loblaws women's only gyms.

I would recommend the gym but when they do the sales pitch just ask for the rate and don't let them get into a sales pitch. If you plan on making it a real lifestyle choice I recommend the larger initiation fee as it reduces the monthly rates long term thus you pay less.

Yeah I lost my card and it cost me another 20$ to have them print and laminate one... I also liked the "I can't give you a quote over the phone" hehe. They got me once; but never ever again. I have some family that goes to RAC and they said it's nice. You've also got the squash andin the summer an active tennis league.

I think they should have a golf setup with all their space!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    If you want to join the Goodlife...find out if your company has a corporate rate(I think they need to sign over 100 members for this rate) or if any of your friends' workplace have this deal and you can probably get this rate via them(usually extends to friends and family). Most gov't departments and large companies have this set up. I'm paying $350(including taxes) per year with no other fees. I agree with Shark that all of those extra fees can really add up.

I've heard good things about the RA Centre but it only has one main location.

It's ~100$ if you quit before 1 year;l not sure if they tell youthat when you sign up; I sure don't remember and they charge you another fortnight when you wanna quit.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Goodlife is like a cult; notice all the people working at the front desk. I've only got bad things to say. You can't have a locker; the locker rooms are so small it's almost laughable; it's over crowded; over priced and they havfe all sorts of clauses to keep you locked in and suck every dime they can out of you. I broke free a while ago and since then have been living the goodlife... Just my $0.02.
    Hmm, sounds much like Clublink!

Seriously though, the locker rooms at Hunt Club and Kanata are huge! I've never had a problem finding a locker... and I've never had the desire to keep a locker there to store sweaty gear and used towels.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Yeah I lost my card and it cost me another 20$ to have them print and laminate one... I also liked the "I can't give you a quote over the phone" hehe.
    I'm no fan of the fee for reprinting / laminating either, but that not a unique fee - for example, the ski hill at Pakenham has a $25 reprint / lamination fee. Doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make Goodlife any worse (or better) than other organizations.

As for not giving quotes over the phone, that's a typical sales tactic. They want to get you in there, give you a tour. Once you're in the door, you're a highly qualified lead, and you've shown enough interest by making the effort to drive there that they know that you'll likely not be leaving without signing up. It's a smart way to sell, regardless of the inconvenience.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    I don't think they have improved.
    I remember signing up a few years ago before the Hunt Club location actually opened. I agree, there are hidden fees and straight answers were somewhat hard to come by, but for my money, the atmosphere there is excellent, the equipment is first rate, and the group exercise stuff is outstanding.

It is a bit (or more than a bit) of a cult though - it especially affects the employees. But on a certain level I have to hand it to goodlife, they're marketing the heck out their lifestyle, and it doesn't look they are about to close shop anytime soon, leaving their members high and dry like some other fitness franchises have...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Geez, from reading my posts you'd think I worked at Goodlife. Sorry if they come across that way - all I know is that since starting there three years ago I have seen great results - regardless of where you join, make sure you're tutored on how to use the equipment without hurting yourself (sounds silly but it's more than necessary), and of course, staying committed to whatever fitness program you choose is paramount to achieving your goals (egad, talk about sounding like a Goodlife employee!)
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

It's not your fault Jack; you've been brainwashed!!!

It's not your fault Jack; you've been brainwashed!!!
    You sir, are likely correct!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    In comparison with the place I used to work-out (eckk..FloridaFitness ) Goodlife has been amazing. Seriously, I paid $250 upfront when the Walkley one was opening, got 4 free months, and after that it was and still is 9$ bi-weekly.
    Completely worth it to me, especially considering I play squash @ the Pinecrest location 3 times a week....

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    I was a member at Goodlife for several years. I worked out mostly at the Queensview location (squash courts) and Roydon Place. I don't really have any issues with it. The people who worked there were uninterested but I went to train. I can suggest the following:
    1. If joining, there is room to bargain.
    2. If not, you can work in extras (e.g. free towel service, etc.)

Wow,

Quite the deal Daft_Driver; your average person pays 26.50$ bi weekly; whats' hilarious is when my gf was quiting the girl at the front desk said are you sure your currently receiving a discount! So I enquired and she said your only paying 25$ biweekly; others have to pay 26.50$ at which I made a quick remark and you had to be there for me to continue the story lol

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    Wow,

Quite the deal Daft_Driver; your average person pays 26.50$ bi weekly; whats' hilarious is when my gf was quiting the girl at the front desk said are you sure your currently receiving a discount! So I enquired and she said your only paying 25$ biweekly; others have to pay 26.50$ at which I made a quick remark and you had to be there for me to continue the story lol
    53$/month???
    That's nuts...
    The reason I got the great deal was because it was before the new location opened, and I was switching from a competitor.
    A friend of mine months later could not even get close to the same price (even had the salesman look at my file), but was "resourceful" in the end and got a similar deal through a location that was opening in....Toronto....

Thread Information