CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar

Another wind question

I starting thinking about this taking and extra club (or less club depending on direction of wind), and how it equates to wind speed. Trying to find some value from this information, I have a few questions that are left unanswered.

1. A:Is there a general rule for taking an extra club, like one club for every 20 kph in wind speed. Like today we have 43kph winds with gusts up to 65kph. Would 65kph equate to 3 extra clubs, or would needing 3 extra mean it is just to windy to play maybe. I have never heard anybody say they where taking more than two extra clubs.
    B: If the wind is coming from the side, do you still take any extra club, or is aim alone sufficient?

2. How many yards is an extra club? It would seem to me that if my variance for distance per club is about 10-15 yards, does than sound about average?

TIA for any input.
    Last edited by zoic; 10-16-2005 at 03:22 PM.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    I starting thinking about this taking and extra club (or less club dpepnding on direction of wind), and how it equates to wind speed. Trying to find some value from this information, I have a few questions that are left unanswered.

1. A:Is there a general rule for taking an extra club, like one club for every 20 kph in wind speed. Like today we have 43kph winds with gusts up to 65kph. Would 65kph equate to 3 extra clubs, or would needing 3 extra mean it is just to windy to play maybe. I have never heard anybody say they where taking more than two extra clubs.
    There is no general rule that I know of, because a lot of it depends on your trajectory. Higher trajectory means it is affected more by the wind. I can tell you that in all cases a headwind will affect your distance more than a tailwind.
    B: If the wind is coming from the side, do you still take any extra club, or is aim alone sufficient?
    In strong winds, aim alone is not enough. A strong left-to-right wind will knock the ball down AND right, which will decrease the total distance. Plus your ball will tend to kick right when it lands instead of forward, similar to a slice.

2. How many yards is an extra club? It would seem to me that if my variance for distance per club is about 10-15 yards, does than sound about average?

TIA for any input.
    Yep, though I find with my wedges and 9-iron the distances are closer together. Your mileage may differ.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    We played this morning as well, and it was windy to say the least. Three clubs was the norm into the wind unless you played something low. Most days the wind may be only one or two clubs but today was at least three. The more you play in the wind the better you get at knowing how many clubs.

As for sidewind, hit more club.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    It the same as putting or making a easy chip shot, its about feel and knowing your game. there is no "rule" which says at 23.8 km/hr you take 1 club but at 24 kn/hr you take 2. It's just guess work, thats why playing in the wind is so challenging because it is usually whoever has the best feel/luck that day who wins.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Not only do you have to consider wind but also course conditions. No roll this time of year.Roll will be back when frost comes around. then you'll have to club down. Range finders you said?:

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    .Roll will be back when frost comes around. then you'll have to club down. Range finders you said?:
    Then comes the ice on the pond and you have to consider the bounce
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Talking

Do I have to play it as it lies?

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    This weekend was ridiculous for wind; Saturday was awful than I went to Falcon Ridge Sunday EVEN WORSE. It's hard when I didnt' compensate for wind I got blown into the woods; for some reason when I did the wind let up and I found the woods; or maybe I was just destined to find the woods.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I starting thinking about this taking and extra club (or less club depending on direction of wind), and how it equates to wind speed. Trying to find some value from this information, I have a few questions that are left unanswered.

TIA for any input.
    It's a feel thing more than anything. If there is a direct headwind, and it's light, for me it's usually about a half a club and sometimes a club. If it's downwind, it's less since wind doesn't help as much as it hurts.

If its blowing pretty good, then its usually 2 clubs and if it's like it was on Sunday, then its 3+. I hit the ball pretty high so it affects me more.

If its coming from the side, yes, it will affect it. It sometimes depends on the shape of your shot. If you hit a draw and the wind is from the right then the ball will ride the wind a bit. Opposite happens if its coming from the left. In general side wind will knock down shots though.

My irons are 10 yds part starting at the PW all the way to my 4i.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Yeah with wind like this weekend, you want to keep it low and hit a lot of worm burners then hope for plenty of roll.

Thread Information