• I try to fade the ball on purpose

8 12.90%
  • I accept my natural swing tendencies and aim accordingly

20 32.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    "Richard"
    I try to hit is straight and it rarely does on an average to bad day. How does one make the ball fade? I try to hit sraight but I either pull it left or I slice it or if I'm lucky it will go straight. I'm pretty much spraying it all over the place.

How do you draw the ball? How do you work the ball? what is a cut?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I try to hit is straight and it rarely does on an average to bad day. How does one make the ball fade? I try to hit sraight but I either pull it left or I slice it or if I'm lucky it will go straight. I'm pretty much spraying it all over the place.

Call your local CPGA and set up a lesson. Spend the money and time to learn how to hit those shots. It will be well worth your effort and cash if you really want to learn how to draw and fade the ball.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    already taking lessons, took 8 so far. Have 5 left and we haven't gotten to that yet. Spent two lessons on getting more power on the drive and slicing. Then we did short game and I think he said we were going to work on that stuff on the last 2 lessons. But am I correcrt in thinking a draw is when you come inside to outside?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

A cut is the same as a slice or a fade.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Draw: Starts right of target/body line and gently curves back to the target/body line. The path of the club is from the inside and the club face is slightly open to the target line, but less in degrees than the path is from the inside. Not to be confused with a hook which curves left of the body line. Golfers who aim down the right side of a fairway and curve the ball back to the centre of the fairway are hitting a hook, not a draw, even though most call it a draw.
    Fade: Is the opposite to a draw. Anything else is a slice. A cut ("cutting across the target line - outside in swing path) is synonymous with a fade. Again many golfers describe a ball that gently curves to the right a fade, even though it may be a slice.

It is easier to hook the ball than draw it. A draw requires the arms to drop down inside the proper swing plane resulting in the clubhead coming into the ball significantly from the inside with that slightly open clubface. While this is ideal and is probably what most of us are trying to achieve through practice, it is difficult to do in the early stages of your golfing career. To hook the ball, aim right of your target, have the club face slighlty closed to that aim line or aim at the target and just swing. The ball will hook.

You can also hook by aiming right and just turn your grip a little clockwise. Be careful though as this often leads to a severe hook called the duck hook.

Thread Information