100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Keep your lead hip from firing too quickly

Any suggestions, I was watching Golf Channel Academy last night and in answering an email a pro showed how some golfers fire the lead hip in an effort to clear and speed up the swing. He showed that a side effect of the quick hip was that the arms stayed back a bit and the club face opened and you ended up leaking the ball instead of drawing it. I have had this same problem. I have corrected it to a point but it rears its ugly head once in a while, ususally when I am trying to really nail a shot.

Any good tips from anyone on how to keep the hip (lmove it laterally) from opening too quickly. I saw the Grafalloy people preach too push down hard on the ground with the lead leg for more power. I am afraid that if I do this I will end up bouncing my body up (head included) and affect the club's approach. The only thing I do is try to consciously to keep my belt buckle near the ball on my downswing, my hips still clear but it prevents me from flying that lead hip too quickly.

Any other suggestions?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I would try and get yourself on video. When you say that it happens when you really go for one, I would not be surprised if its more your right shoulder taking over as you drive the body hard to get that extra power. You will not feel this but on video it will be clear. How do I know? I suffer from this same fault,, When I get quick or really try to smack it it feels like I am moving my hips fast but on video it is more my right shoulder pushing across. I took some lesson during the winter and one swing thought that I still use is keep my back to the target as long as possible. I find that it really allows my arms/hands to drop thru the ball and have my arms pull my right shoulder thru instead of me pushing my right shoulder. Another one I got from my local pro is to open my stance and have a very solid base, if your base is narrow it can be more active. Lots of things to think about when it comes to this problem, believe me I know! But the back to the target is my default at the range when I get out of wack, also to slow things down and have that super lite grip pressure.
    Denny

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks Denny, good advice, I will keep my eye out for that shoulder
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sand Wedge SwingGuru is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    Any suggestions, I was watching Golf Channel Academy last night and in answering an email a pro showed how some golfers fire the lead hip in an effort to clear and speed up the swing. He showed that a side effect of the quick hip was that the arms stayed back a bit and the club face opened and you ended up leaking the ball instead of drawing it. I have had this same problem. I have corrected it to a point but it rears its ugly head once in a while, ususally when I am trying to really nail a shot.

Any good tips from anyone on how to keep the hip (lmove it laterally) from opening too quickly. I saw the Grafalloy people preach too push down hard on the ground with the lead leg for more power. I am afraid that if I do this I will end up bouncing my body up (head included) and affect the club's approach. The only thing I do is try to consciously to keep my belt buckle near the ball on my downswing, my hips still clear but it prevents me from flying that lead hip too quickly.

Any other suggestions?
    Clearing the hips on the downswing is good. Think Tiger Woods for the proper image of clearing the hips. Or Ben Hogan... Or Lee Trevino... the list goes on, they all clear.

Yes, clearing strongly will help reduce a draw or hook for better players. Remember, there isn't a whole lot of lateral motion in the golf swing. A bit on the start of the backswing, and some more in the opposite direction as the club nears the top of the swing. The rest is a coiling and uncoiling of the hips. The upper body is more complicated, and best left for another time. Good luck!
    [url="http://www.swingsensations.com"]http://www.swingsensations.com[/url]

Get your game online....

Thread Information