100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar

Hey, Dufus. You can't do that !!!

When you observe an action that you think may have breached the Rules of Golf, what is the correct procedure for making a claim in: 1. Match play 2. Stroke play.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Stroke Play, personally I'd notify the other player that I noticed something amiss, and then consult with the nearest official.

Match Play, it's go time!!! How dare you cheat in a head-to-head event!!! (Would likely do the same, although maybe there would be a need for my opponent to play a second ball or something of the sort, depending on the case. That stuff I'm not entirely clear on...

Mind you, I'm not in competitive situations all that often....

If scorecard signing was an issue, I simply would not sign off on it until an official had passed a verdict...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    I'm a bit rusty since I haven't re-read the rules yet this year, but...

1 - Match Play. The basis of match play is that both players know the status of the match at the beginning of every hole. If the claim is not brought by the time competitors tee off on the next hole, then the claim lapses.

There are a couple of exceptions to this, but they're not all that common.

2 - Stroke Play. The players score is not official until he signs his card. A fellow competitor can make a claim anytime and should do so in such a way as the player has an opportunity to correct his scorecard before he signs it. To make a claim, a fellow competitor only has to bring the issue to the attention of an official and it would be sporting to mention to the player concerned. Claims can be made after the scorecards are signed, but not after the competition has closed (ie. the cup has been awarded).

close?
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Thread Information