100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar

Anyone taking advantage of the Rideau View deal?

I've been on the fence about joining Rideau View for a couple years. I've had a number of conversations with their GM, Steve, who has been very helpful in providing me the info that I needed to decide. Now that membership is available in the spring (as opposed to sign-ups in the fall), and there is incentives on the initiation costs (in the link below), I'm seriously considering taking the plunge.

If there is anyone else on the fence and looking for fellow members to make a group to further reduce the initiation costs, please send me a PM. I'd like to go tour the clubhouse and find out about all the amenities before joining, but I think it's a really good deal for one of the best courses in the region.

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ted-Time-Offer!

Ryan
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Love the clubhouse there, its fantastic.

I was pretty saddened to read that having just turned 40 this month, that I am a "Senior" now, according to their membership structure.
    Andrew

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Two years ago there was a $500 non-refundable fee to be put on the waiting list. I didn't put my name down and stayed with Clublink instead.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Two years ago there was a $500 non-refundable fee to be put on the waiting list. I didn't put my name down and stayed with Clublink instead.
    When I spoke with them last fall, the same fee existed, but it was not explained to me as being non-refundable. If you were accepted, then the deposit was put towards your dues, and if you were not invited to become a member, they would return the deposit.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    That's a pretty sweet deal. Time to crunch some numbers.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It would be a sweet deal. If I were 25 again.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    If your application gets rejected, I'm not sure what happens.

Here's the email I got two years ago:

Our membership is full for this season and we have started a waiting list for next year. Our standard process for new memberships is as follows. By submitting an application form now along with a $500 deposit for next season, an individual would become an Associate Member and placed in queue on the waiting list. Please note that the $500 deposit would be applied as a credit to your membership fees when you become a full-playing member. If you decide not to join Rideau View, the $500 deposit is not refundable.

Times (and economic/membership) conditions change. 5 years ago you wouldn't have the deal you have at the Hunt Club right now.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I considered switching from Rivermead to Rideauview at the end of last year and the same deposit issue kinda stopped me from doing it.
    Played the course and the conditions, clubhouse and everything were great.
    I met a few members and have been told that it is a great course to play with younger people too.
    Even I've never heard of me

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    It is definitely tempting.....

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    That's a good deal?
    That seems like a lot to me for memebership.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

1 Iron infinity13 is on a distinguished road infinity13's Avatar
    I have also been on the fence in joining...as I am 25 currently it seems like too good a deal to pass up... I need to call them and get the particulars, specifically about an extra costs than the ones described in the add (i.e. mandatory bar tab etc). Seems like a beautiful course though...any idea when it typically opens every year?

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    If your application gets rejected, I'm not sure what happens.

Here's the email I got two years ago:

Our membership is full for this season and we have started a waiting list for next year. Our standard process for new memberships is as follows. By submitting an application form now along with a $500 deposit for next season, an individual would become an Associate Member and placed in queue on the waiting list. Please note that the $500 deposit would be applied as a credit to your membership fees when you become a full-playing member. If you decide not to join Rideau View, the $500 deposit is not refundable.
    Well if you choose not to join then I understand them holding the deposit. I was under the impression that you were told that if you were not accepted, they would not refund, which is contrary to the email I received when I made the same inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It is definitely tempting.....
    Let me know if you decide to jump as the initiation bonuses can be combined (25% + 25% or 35%) and you're not on the hook for the balance of the initiation of you decide to back out in the future.

For a high end course, it is.

It works out to less than Hautes Plaines for the annual fee and being able to pay the initiation over 15 years is a good deal, especially with the 25% reduction.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Looks to me like 40+ years old pays $3557 annually with $16000 initiation and 39 year old pays $2661 annually with $8100 initiation.

For private golf in Ottawa there is no better deal then what Carleton Golf and Yacht Club is offering right now:

CGYC 2012 Membership Fee and
    Annual Dues

Initiation Fee
    This one time fee entitles the
    member to one non-equity share in
    CGYC including voting rights. 48 month payment plan is available.
    $2400 for a single
    $3600 for a couple

Full Golfer Annual Dues
    Unlimited 7 day access to the course and all facilities.
    (subject to league play)
    $3070

Weekday Golfer Annual Dues
    Unlimited 5 day (Mon-Fri) access to the course. After 3pm on weekends.
    (subject to league play)
    $2530

Intermediate I Annual Dues
    Aged 19-26
    Full playing privileges (no initiation or non-equity share)
    $1585

Intermediate II Annual Dues
    Aged 27-32
    Full playing privileges (no initiation or non-equity share)
    $2005

Intermediate III Annual Dues
    Aged 33-39
    Same as Full Golfer
    $2520

Junior Annual Dues (8 to 18)
    Access to dining with limited golf.
    $500

Social Single Annual Dues
    Access to dining with limited golf.
    $505

Social Family Annual Dues
    Family Access to dining with limited
    golf.
    $730

Out-of-town Annual Dues
    Must be an initiated member and live more than 80 kms away
    $270

Trial Membership (1-time only)
    Not sure about club membership?
    Try us out for a season. Get 60 days of unlimited golf, with full
    access to tee times and club facilities. Plus when you convert receive
    40% off your initiation fee.
    $1500
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

4jag - thanks for the info, but I didn't start the thread to compare the various options out there. I played Carleton a number of times in tournaments as a Junior, and the course never appealed to me.

Also, when you take full advantage of this deal, the RV intermediate B membership (which is what I'm looking at) becomes very comparable to the Carleton rates. The Intermediate A at RV is actually cheaper than the Carleton alternative.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    And the courses are nowhere near comparable, Rideauview is much much better.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Just make sure not to forget to invite your buddies as guests once you join...
    Andrew

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Yes RV is a great course. I'm sure you'll be happy there, I have several friends that are members and they enjoy it very much.

Joining a private club is so much more then just calculating your cost/round. It is about the club as much as the course.

One last consideration before joining is to calculate the "active" member to tee time ratio. Nothing more frustrating then having unlimited golf privileges but not being able to get a mens league or weekend morning tee times. If you choose to golf in non peak times it's not an issue.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    So... I'm curious. If I fall in the 'Intermediate C' age range right now but move into the so-called 'Senior' range in a couple of years, would the initiation fees go up at that time? Presumably not... although I guess the yearly rate definitely would?

If Rideauview was even 10 minutes closer to home/work, this would be a no-brainer.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag View Post
    One last consideration before joining is to calculate the "active" member to tee time ratio. Nothing more frustrating then have unlimited golf but not being able to get a mens league or weekend morning tee times. If you choose to golf in non peak times it's not an issue.
    I've been fighting the Corporate Golf / Executive Golf battle for the past 6-7 years, so not being able to get a primo tee-time every now and then is not something I'm worried about. I'd like to be able to go out for 9 holes after work or dinner without having to play the game all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    So... I'm curious. If I fall in the 'Intermediate C' age range right now but move into the so-called 'Senior' range in a couple of years, would the initiation fees go up at that time? Presumably not... although I guess the yearly rate definitely would?

If Rideauview was even 10 minutes closer to home/work, this would be a no-brainer.
    You're initiation is locked into the category you sign up as, however I'm not sure if that holds true for the intermediate "A" as there is no initiation. I would urge anyone in that range to verify that fact with RV prior to getting too giddy based on my reply here.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Just make sure not to forget to invite your buddies as guests once you join...
    +1
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    You're initiation is locked into the category you sign up as, however I'm not sure if that holds true for the intermediate "A" as there is no initiation. I would urge anyone in that range to verify that fact with RV prior to getting too giddy based on my reply here.
    i'm in the intermediate A now and once I turn 26 i move into the Intermediate B category for the initiation portion. and once paid I move into the next category Intermediate C my initiation should be paid off.

as per the tee time questions above- its not garunteed to get your tee time but it is usually close, i think i had one tee time last summer that was nowhere near the time i wanted.

course usually opens 3rd or 4th week in april with summer rules
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Quote Originally Posted by gregnol View Post
    i'm in the intermediate A now and once I turn 26 i move into the Intermediate B category for the initiation portion. and once paid I move into the next category Intermediate C my initiation should be paid off.

as per the tee time questions above- its not garunteed to get your tee time but it is usually close, i think i had one tee time last summer that was nowhere near the time i wanted.
    The way it was explained to me is that if you sign up as an intermediate B, your maximum initiation would be $5,000 (before the discounts) and that is all you would pay. Once you are classified an Intermediate C, only your yearly dues change, and you continue making your monthly initiation payments based on the initial number. Does that sound correct to you?

Are you saying that they do the weekend times as a lottery? When are the times announced, and are there often unused times in the morning to be booked by those who didn't get into the lottery?

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Hmmm... I wouldn't have expected that. Changes the calculations a bit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnol
    Is there some sort of a tee time selection priority system in place? Older / more established members get to pick first?
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    The way it was explained to me is that if you sign up as an intermediate B, your maximum initiation would be $5,000 (before the discounts) and that is all you would pay. Once you are classified an Intermediate C, only your yearly dues change, and you continue making your monthly initiation payments based on the initial number. Does that sound correct to you?

Are you saying that they do the weekend times as a lottery? When are the times announced, and are there often unused times in the morning to be booked by those who didn't get into the lottery?
    yep exactly how it is.

they use a lottery system for everyday of the week, i forget the exact structuring as it changed last summer, but u can enter the lotteries two weeks in advance- you find out your tee time one week before. on the weekends its basically full up in the morning, you might be able to jump in with the odd group.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Hmmm... I wouldn't have expected that. Changes the calculations a bit for me.

Is there some sort of a tee time selection priority system in place? Older / more established members get to pick first?

see below response it explains it a bit better.

theres no priority

yep exactly how it is.

they use a lottery system for everyday of the week, i forget the exact structuring as it changed last summer, but u can enter the lotteries two weeks in advance- you find out your tee time one week before. on the weekends its basically full up in the morning, you might be able to jump in with the odd group.
    Thanks for the info. I never considered the lottery system, but that's not a deal breaker for me at all.

Putter Brosc is on a distinguished road Brosc's Avatar
    Hey guys, i took advantage of the great deal at Rideau View.

I am 26 and in my first year of the Intermediate B group. The initiation fee is 3500 over 10 years with the 25% off.

I know about 5 members there and i am dyeing to get out there and play!!

Thread Information