100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    I have made some enquiries with some Chinese manufacturers of Black 3 pass blockout material 300cm wide for side and top curtains/protection.

Is anyone else interested in this for their side/top protection?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    CPA what does it look like? Is there a link? Cost? Always interested in new products!!!

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Yes, that is a better idea. A roll down impact screen and a net behind it to protect the theater screen and speakers would be a good solution.

Just remember that the focus and zoom on the projector will have to adjusted back and forth, but it's very easy to do.

If you are going to do that, make sure the projector you choose has an automated focus / zoom; oddly, many of them do not, which is no bargain if you ceiling mount the thing on a 12 foot ceiling!

I am going to try to have a black net hang down in front of my screen for any time I am just practicing (e.g. hitting a bucket of balls); not sure how bad the shadow casting will be but I don't really care when just hitting on the range. Means I'll still be playing rounds into the screen, but at least the 100 ball-at-a-time session won't impact the screen. I'll then have two ropes strung to the bottom of the net and up through a loop at the top / side that I can just pull it up and out of the way and secure it to the ceiling (which will then be a black net against a black ceiling). Crossing my fingers it all works. Just got the net today.

Regarding side wall protection, I found 42" panel blackout curtains at Wayfair for $20 each (plus a discount if you search for promo codes). You can get wider ones of course but for some reason the 42" one were the cheapest per linear foot in the height I wanted. Has grommets at the top that I can just string along a rod hung on the sides. I will have a wall behind my side curtains that I will just tack up some sheathing / insulation panels to take direct hits (hits the curtain then the hidden sheathing). Gives it that movie theatre curtain look and I can wrap it around the corner to create curtains on each side of the screen to cover up the bungee system. There is a limit to the length of the curtains though - most seem to max out at 105" or something. So if you have a 10" wall you'd have to create a larger valance (correct word?) at the top. I have a funny ledge on the bottom of my wall so I didn't need the curtains to go all the way down.

Top wall protection - I am going to screw up 4'x4' ceiling panels made out of sheathing/insulation panels that I will wrap in headliner material (fabric store; comes in black, a bit spongy with some substance). Hoping the headliner material covers up any dents that get created in the underlying sheathing. I'm not as convinced this solution will work but I'm going to give it a try.

I gave my Panasonic AR100u a test run today; looks good so far. Haven't played with any of the settings. I just set it down about 20' from the screen, which required using almost full zoom to get to a 15' wide screen. I don't think I'd want it any farther back from that from a brightness standpoint - it was good at 20' but it wasn't super bright if that's what you are looking for (although I think much brighter might be annoying to look at after a while - haven't stared at it long enough to conclude). There might have been a brighter settings that I didn't try out - didn't play with it. I might also test out moving it farther back vs closer with zoom to see if it matters, but I'm inclined to go with zoom to limit shadows. I used it on the protee screen.

my idea was to buy a roll of black 3pass blackout material 300cm wide (9 ft 10 inches the height of my garage) and run it sideways in 1 continuous roll around the back of the screen with eyelets at the top. supported on stainless wire tightened :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNbNv...layer_embedded

except 1 end of cable should be a nut/bolt clamp system so it can be taken off if needed

will look similar to http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MODERN-EY...item5644c41471 but cheaper and no gaps

have calculated 2 * side length, 1 * back and 1* roof at 30 metres needed at $15 per metre or $450 plus fittings.
    Last edited by CPA; 12-23-2011 at 04:42 AM.

had a better idea.

just run the side curtains in seperate lengths (folding around the back of screen for 1 ft)

attach the HQ screen by sewing a pocket at top to run stainless cable through and attach and tension at ends- no eyelets no bungee, cable will still have a bit of spring

do the same to another screen made of WHITE 3 pass curtain ( put a rod in the bottom with a cord attached) and attach to another cable above the HQ screen cable with space to pull the 3pass curtain over the back when you want movies or hitting onto the HQ screen. Flip the 3 pass to the front to hit the 100 ball practice and save your screen.

the 3pass would cost $60 rather than the HQ $700

will post a video when I get it set up......

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Do post videos and pictures CPA.

Putter gausa is on a distinguished road
    Some great points on thread thanks everyone who has jumped in. After all input I have decided to go with a room of 24' (W) by 36' (L) & 13' (H). My thoughts on height was I could always adjust projector up/down & forward/backwards for optimal viewing as projector will be built on tracks. Since this is a ground up project, almost everything will be built into enclosure, lighting, sound etc ..

For impact screen, it seems very apparent that Corey's HQ raw is the way to go, so 16' x 10' seems to be the sweet spot. i put together a quick pvc pipe screen dimension for backyard visual, and I must say it's a monster. If I could figure out how to attach pics I would.

Any suggestions on padding?
    Along those lines what has everyone experienced when hitting 60 degree wedges? At what distance to screen does the shot hit ceiling?

Foundation will get poured in Jan. getting excited for end result

Again thanks everyone and happy holidays

Mike

Putter gausa is on a distinguished road
    Not sure if pics will upload but thought i would try

IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg

Thread Information