100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar

Removing stone pebbles in bunker

I was playing with my buddy and he was in a bunker and started removing tiny stone pebbles from behind his ball. I told him he couldn't do that, but he said he saw Stewart Cink doing it awhile back and that it was Ok.

Can you remove loose impediments from a sand bunker? This was not a waste bunker.

Thanks

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    As far as I know, it has to be a local rule where they specify it is ok to remove loose impediments (such as rocks in this case).

When i played this weekend at the intersectionals, they had this noted on the rules sheet as their bunkers were covered with rocks.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Cink was in a waste area and not in a bunker. If there's a local rule where you're playing that stones in bunkers are movable obstructions then you can remove them otherwise play it as it is.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    OK, understand the rule completely. However, I don't think that all those rules were written with Canadian courses in mind. If I lived in any of the southern states, I'd be more than happy to send a ball out of (or, more to the point, swing my club through) practically any trap as those traps actually have SAND. Not so on many, many Canadian tracks .... and I am just not willing to fork over big bucks for nice irons to have them dinged and scuffed by some of the 'stuff' they put in sand traps these days. Again, understand the rule and appreciate the explanation.

Fortunately, I'm not a competitive golfer...with me, you can pluck crap out of the sand trap until the cows come home and I, for one, will thank you!

IMHO...lol
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    The rule was written with all individual clubs in mind. It is upto the club or competition committee to decide whether their bunkers justify the introduction of the local rule.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The Open has this local rule in place right now
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    OK, understand the rule completely. However, I don't think that all those rules were written with Canadian courses in mind. If I lived in any of the southern states, I'd be more than happy to send a ball out of (or, more to the point, swing my club through) practically any trap as those traps actually have SAND. Not so on many, many Canadian tracks .... and I am just not willing to fork over big bucks for nice irons to have them dinged and scuffed by some of the 'stuff' they put in sand traps these days. Again, understand the rule and appreciate the explanation.

Fortunately, I'm not a competitive golfer...with me, you can pluck crap out of the sand trap until the cows come home and I, for one, will thank you!

IMHO...lol
    I agree. It's easy to hit rocks or off a cart path when you just have to visit the tour van after the round for a replacement.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    All the Opens are played on links seaside courses where the sand is natural (not quarried) and therefore may have pebbles in it.
    Most tours and the Masters do not.
    Last edited by AAA; 07-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    All the Opens are played on links seaside courses where the sand is natural (not quarried) and therefore may have pebbles in it.
    Most tours and the Masters do not.
    That is actually the original definition of a pot bunker. Original bunkers were just hollows in the land where sheep grazed and later "designed" links courses built in the 1800s built bunkers by just digging down till thaey hit the sand below the thin soil. All links courses are sand based...none of that artificially imported pristine silicone sand there

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    All links courses are sand based...none of that artificially imported pristine silicone sand there
    I've never been a fan of implants.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post

IMHO...lol

I agree totally.... actually played a week ago with a guy who had a rock 3/4 buried just behind his ball. He hit --- the ball came out of the bunker so did the rock pretty much like a bullet.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You guys would not have wanted to play golf at the Miramichi Golf Club in northern New Brunswick. Their traps were composed entirely of tiny stones or pebbles. It was great stuff out of which to spin a ball. However, it could be a bit rough on the clubs. Since I never cared much for keeping my irons pristine, it didn't bother me in the least. Best stuff I ever played out of.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    There's a reason they're called hazards folks.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    It is also on the GAO hardcard.

Thread Information