100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Projector

blackfire
    I'll wait a few years to get a 1080P I whanted to play golf. in my garage at a reasonable price

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Watching 1080p BD movies on a 720p projector is blasphemy!

blackfire
    some people get the last technologie everytime there's a new one when other whait and buy it a few years later when the price get's down a lot. It depend on your budget, priority and needs.

I understand if you have the latest quatron 1080P large TV with blu-ray and are looking at movies in 1080P with harman kardon surrond sound system then you need a 1080P projector and you probably have the money for it.

How did you know I have a harman kardon surrond sound system? That is freaky...

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the note syhlif32. I spent a lot of time looking into options on this, and I think my whole struggle to figure it out is well documented in this thread!

I believe I posted some camera images showing that I saw a very noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. When you're dealing with images that are six to nine feet high, the pixels are large and 50% more pixels makes a big difference. Having said that, it's true that you need to consider all the factors including brightness and throw distance. With my 1024x768 projector, it was a short throw and my 1080p projector is mounted about 8 feet further from the screen to get the same vertical image size. While the brightness is about the same, one noticeable difference is the shadow impact. Since it's further back, you see your head and shoulder shadow on the screen when you move up to putt (since I have the Pro 7, you put a few feet in front of the normal shot sensor, just like the ProTee bubba has). It's not a huge problem, but it was obviously nicer to NOT have a shadow when my 1024x768 projector was mounted 8 feet closer.

It's a preference thing...how much do you want image quality over the other variables? For me, having a sharper image without shadows on non-putting shots is worth it...I can live with the shadow effect when putting. But, it's not perfect...

blackfire
    I wish Zmax

Sand Wedge mazda71 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    Thanks for the note syhlif32. I spent a lot of time looking into options on this, and I think my whole struggle to figure it out is well documented in this thread!

I believe I posted some camera images showing that I saw a very noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. When you're dealing with images that are six to nine feet high, the pixels are large and 50% more pixels makes a big difference. Having said that, it's true that you need to consider all the factors including brightness and throw distance. With my 1024x768 projector, it was a short throw and my 1080p projector is mounted about 8 feet further from the screen to get the same vertical image size. While the brightness is about the same, one noticeable difference is the shadow impact. Since it's further back, you see your head and shoulder shadow on the screen when you move up to putt (since I have the Pro 7, you put a few feet in front of the normal shot sensor, just like the ProTee bubba has). It's not a huge problem, but it was obviously nicer to NOT have a shadow when my 1024x768 projector was mounted 8 feet closer.

It's a preference thing...how much do you want image quality over the other variables? For me, having a sharper image without shadows on non-putting shots is worth it...I can live with the shadow effect when putting. But, it's not perfect...
    rdh you setup a 1080p full HD projector only to view it in 4:3 (1400x1050). arent you losing quality?

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    I wasn't quite able to go with an 1080p projector. I only had about 14/15' between my projector and the screen, so I ended up going with the Cannon REALis SX800 (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Canon-REALiS_SX800.htm). This is native 1400x1050 and does 1080i. It fills my CDG 7'6' x 9'6" screen in 1400x1050. The 3000 lumens seems to be real - I can have the all the lights on in my room and the screen is still bright. Today I hooked up its second input to component video from my cable box and watched the Carolina / Duke game and was wowed - sure it was 1080i, but was still awesome. Love this projector, but it was a bit steep at US 1800.

This thread pointing to projector central for the throw ranges and other details really helped me make a great decision. Thanks guys!

Sand Wedge padre1161 is on a distinguished road
    Two questions:

For two projectors with the same lumen output, a short throw projector's image would be less affected by ambient light because it is closer to the screen right? For the projector experts, which of these two would you choose for a similar price:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD6...9990398&sr=8-6

or

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLit.../ref=de_a_smtd

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by padre1161 View Post
    Two questions:

For two projectors with the same lumen output, a short throw projector's image would be less affected by ambient light because it is closer to the screen right? For the projector experts, which of these two would you choose for a similar price:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD6...9990398&sr=8-6

or

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLit.../ref=de_a_smtd
    For any projector you have to make sure that the throw distance for the size of image you want is sufficient. I have the Epson 705 and it is a great projector for golf and movies. Just look at the reviews.

blackfire
    Thanks psace

that's what I was trying to say

I have the 705 as well and like it.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I have the Viewsonic projector and find it pretty good too. Using it for golf simulator and for movies.
    So I guess you can say both are good units?

If I was to buy a new projector I would go with a full HD 1080, but I know it is always just a little bit more

Sand Wedge padre1161 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    I have the Viewsonic projector and find it pretty good too. Using it for golf simulator and for movies.
    So I guess you can say both are good units?

If I was to buy a new projector I would go with a full HD 1080, but I know it is always just a little bit more
    Yeah, I'm impressed with the improved picture quality from RDH's Vivitek full HD 1080. I know it has a pretty long throw and is only 1800 lumens, so how is the picture so bright? Is a 1800 lumen 1080p projector always going to brighter than a 1800 lumen 720p, or will the brightness be the same and only the clarity better for the 1080p?

blackfire
    the big difference is that usualy with 1080P you get a lot more contrast

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Also there are no standard for lumens some manufacturers state the lumen output of the color output other on the most effective output which normally will be white.
    It also looks like a lot of the manufactures are exaggerating the lumen output. So I think it is a good idea to read reviews before buying.

I am very happy with my Viewsonic and am still impressed with it. Have not bought the glasses for 3D but do have a Nvidia video card that would make it work.

70jr
    Hi I am new to the forum. I would like to know if anyone knows of a full hd native projector that has short throw capabilities that is under $3000?

70jr
    I realized I did not give that much detail yesterday, I would like a diagonal size of about in the 190’s. I would like it 15' or closer. This projector is perfect but is not full HD http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-TW610ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm. So something like this but full native hd?

2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road
    I'm considering an Epson 8350 1080p projector, but it is only rated at 2000 lumens. This projector is highly rated, has a great 50,000:1 contrast ratio and available at a relatively competitive price right now (for a 1080p anyway). I plan on a 16:9 aspect ratio and a projection distance of about 22'. According to the projection calculator at projectorcentral.com the projector is capable of providing the ~14' x 8' image I want, but I'm concerned about whether it will be bright enough without feeling like I'm playing in the dark. I'd like opinions from other forum members on whether this is a reasonable choice for a projector. The room is yet to be constructed so I could make it pretty dark if necessary.

That is a nice projector but 22' is pretty far away. You would definitely need to be able to control the lighting. What type of simulator were thinking about using? i.e. shadow based or reflective? Reflective types like DD or P3pro wouldn't hurt the picture but shadow based like GGS or Protee will require overhead lights.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    That is a nice projector but 22' is pretty far away. You would definitely need to be able to control the lighting. What type of simulator were thinking about using? i.e. shadow based or reflective? Reflective types like DD or P3pro wouldn't hurt the picture but shadow based like GGS or Protee will require overhead lights.
    GGS. The overhead lighting is one of the main reasons I am worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevnkrn View Post
    GGS. The overhead lighting is one of the main reasons I am worried about it.
    Which GGS system are you getting? the PX2 sensor mat overhead light is a small spot light so it won't be a problem. The second light, for the trigger array and ball, is a bigger light and needs to be a flood. You'll need to used blinders on this light to keep it from affecting the sensor mat and the screen. I use a 50watt flood light(8.5 ft ceiling height) and with the blinders, the picture still looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Which GGS system are you getting? the PX2 sensor mat overhead light is a small spot light so it won't be a problem. The second light, for the trigger array and ball, is a bigger light and needs to be a flood. You'll need to used blinders on this light to keep it from affecting the sensor mat and the screen. I use a 50watt flood light(8.5 ft ceiling height) and with the blinders, the picture still looks good.
    I had planned on some sort of "blinders" for the second light. As I read through this thread you've said you have a Vivatek projector. Which model? How far from the screen is your projector placed.

Quote Originally Posted by stevnkrn View Post
    I had planned on some sort of "blinders" for the second light. As I read through this thread you've said you have a Vivatek projector. Which model? How far from the screen is your projector placed.
    It's the H1080FD. The lens is about 16 ft from the screen. Picture is 9.5ft wide 16:9.

Putter robstevens is on a distinguished road
    Jebus I'm still a bit confused. I have a 9.5' wide x 8.5' screen, but I only have 10' of depth from the screen for the projector. Obviously I'm in short throw range here. I am looking to fill the screen as best possible and have the greatest picture clarity as well (yes I want it all). Any projector suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by robstevens View Post
    Jebus I'm still a bit confused. I have a 9.5' wide x 8.5' screen, but I only have 10' of depth from the screen for the projector. Obviously I'm in short throw range here. I am looking to fill the screen as best possible and have the greatest picture clarity as well (yes I want it all). Any projector suggestions?
    I don't think there are any HD projectors that will do that. Here are 4:3 1024X768 very short throw projectors:http://www.projectorpeople.com/resou...hort-throw.asp

That will work. It's only 1024x768, but you don't have much of a choice.

Wow! You found an HD short throw. According to projector central's calculator, it will work. How much is that?

That is a good question. Apparently you need to send in for a quote. So would this give the the same image size I'm looking for, but better resolution?

Thread Information